Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 08:18 PM
PETE'S_6.0PSD
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question need some advices please

hey guys
i have been thinking about fryer oil processing, for my 2001 f250 ,
where can i get the equipment to process it(good prices), or can i build one myself?
and second question is can i use it in my home heating system without major modifications ?
can you guys give me an input on this ?
thanks

Peter

Old 02-27-2007, 04:48 AM
leskwvo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
google apple seed processor.

You will find instructions on how to make one for less then $500. Way less if you can scrounge

No mod to the oil burner in the house from what I understand.

Erick
2 Tank WVO 05 PSD

Old 02-27-2007, 06:23 AM
PETE'S_6.0PSD
Postmaster
thanks for info lesk, ill make search
and i can scrounge
so will see,

Old 02-27-2007, 08:11 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by PETE'S_7.3PSD
thanks for info lesk, ill make search
and i can scrounge
so will see,
Everything biodiesel related: http://www.biodieselcommunity.org
For heating your home: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/altfuelfurnace/

Old 02-28-2007, 11:41 AM
PETE'S_6.0PSD
Postmaster
thanks guys,
one more quick question, i saw one of the plants to treat veggie oil and spoke to a guy and he said no modifications are required to the reuck nor home heatng system to run the setup he has, somthing about using diferent chemicals, he has setup for 45gallons, that costs 1600$ shipped to my home, wit all the support and info, plug and play device
is is worth it?
thanks again

Peter

Old 02-28-2007, 11:54 AM
Fire Rooster
Posting Guru
Pete it is all up to you. When I started making my own BD over two years ago I knew of no one else doing it. I purchased a commercially made processor and justified the cost by not having to experiment but having technical support a phone call away and having a system proven to work. I have since long made my money back and the trucks are actually paying for them selves now just in my fuel cost savings. I have also helped a few other firmen build their own systems now that I have a good understanding how to do it and how the actual BD process works. Yes you can build your own for cheap, and if you know anyone in your local area who can help and give you trouble shooting advice. Then build your own. If you are going it alone buy a pre made kit and save your self from failure, and or frustration

Old 02-28-2007, 12:39 PM
PETE'S_6.0PSD
Postmaster
thanks Fire Rooster
i think ill buy it, i dont have much expirience nor i have anyone around here to help me with the setup, so i guess i just buy the setup, and the guy i spoke to sounds like he knows all about it, now i have to get few places to leave old oil for me
and ill be on the right track, to save some money on my home fuel cost and truck fuel
thanks again guys

Old 02-28-2007, 12:41 PM
PETE'S_6.0PSD
Postmaster
Fire Rooster, did you modifie anything on your truck?
im putting Dieselsite CPR+ regulated return system on in the spring ,
do i have to modifie anything to run BD ?
thanks

Old 02-28-2007, 12:43 PM
Fire Rooster
Posting Guru
I would also check out

www.biodieselnow.com
www.biodieselcommunity.org

Both are very helpful and informative websites.

go and start lining up your resturaunts asap so you are not stuck with a processor and no oil for a few months.

Old 02-28-2007, 02:06 PM
Murphy2000
Senior User
Pete,

You can build your own 45 gallon basic processor for a lot less than $1600. It might take you a week or two but its not that hard to do.

As for support to learn the actual process, don't worry about it. Its the easiest part of making biodiesel. I know it all seems scary when you start but believe me, getting the equipment set up is by far 10x over the hardest part.

DO NOT USE A PLASTIC PROCESSOR TO MAKE BIODIESEL. They are very dangerous and catch fire easy. Stay with a steel processor. Plastic wash tanks are fine but you don't even need wash tanks if you're making furnace fuel. For home heating oil, biodiesel does not need to be polished off. Just react it, let glycerin settle and decant the bio off the top.. there's your fuel all ready to go. If you want to put it in an engine, then you need wash and dry tanks to polish the fuel into astm specs.

Admin note: No solicitations.

<!-- If you purchase plans on my site, they come with support and will tell you how to save hundreds on titration supplies alone. You'll also have a very high quality processor that will last a life time.

Whatever you decide, you can always contact me for support. My help in making biodiesel is always free but you have to pay for the processor plans because it took so much work to make them.

The best place to find support on the internet for making biodiesel is this place:
www.biodiesel.infopop.cc
This is a biodiesel and wvo forum and it is 100x larger and busier than any other forum on the internet.

The best place for self learning is here:
www.biodieselcommunity.org

This place will get you titrating and making fuel really quick and the information is pretty accurate.

Good luck and I hope this info has helped -->

Last edited by FTE Ken; 03-01-2007 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:05 PM
PETE'S_6.0PSD
Postmaster
hey murphy, i don have access to welder or this type of stuff to make tanks, as per bref info on your site, so it would take me much more to make it,
why are the plastic tanks so dangerous?
i know that some companies sell a lot of them ,
and thanks for great information,,,

Fire Rooster, i just went to few places and i can pick up oil from them, few use few gallons a week, few little more, byt i should be able to manage 20 - 30 gallons a week, from what it looks like,
got to get setup with a barrels and transfer pump, ASAP

Old 02-28-2007, 04:50 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Pete
an Appleseed processor requires no skills except the ability to use a pipe wrench, splice some wires together, and do a little scrounging.

find directions for it here:
http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/appleseedprocessor/

There are many other types of processors out there and different processing techniques. Hang around this forum, read the old posts, ask questions and you will have your eyes opened, at least I did.

Our resident expert is Fabmandelux

Last edited by Phydeaux88; 02-28-2007 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:41 PM
Murphy2000
Senior User
Yup.. Go with an appleseed as phydeaux88 says. No welder needed. FTE Staff Note: solicitation removed <!-- It wont produce the volumes my system will but who cares.. --> it will still fuel your car.

appleseeds are good safe processors. check out www.girlmark.com and buy her book.. its well worth it.

Last edited by FTE Ken; 03-01-2007 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:51 PM
Murphy2000
Senior User
Originally Posted by PETE'S_7.3PSD
why are the plastic tanks so dangerous?
i know that some companies sell a lot of them ,
and thanks for great information,,,
Umm.. Explosive Methanol in large volumes + Hot Oil + Caustic Lye = DANGER WILL ROBINSON DANGER.

Plastic melts and burns. Steel does not.

One electrical short in the wrong place and a plastic processor goes Poof! and so does your home.

With a steel processor, you might be a bad batch of fuel or something stupid.

Plastic is dangerous and it would never be allowed in an industrial environment. And make no mistake about it, you are performing an industrial process in your residential property.. That's fine, but you need to educate yourself on the dangers and how to prevent them.

The biodiesel circles hear about someone burning down their home about once a month on average. Almost every time, its a plastic processor or something to do with a plastic tank.

You are making FUEL. think about it.

The companies on the internet selling these stupid plastic cone bottom processors are just taking advantage of the unexperienced people looking to save money or whatever. Most of these people who have built these processors have never built anything in thier life. But they can wire up a light switch and glue pvc pipes together because that's easy.

They are a fire hazard and anyone who uses a plastic tank as a biodiesel reactor is taking a huge risk.

I've been an industrial engineer for 20 years. While I understand that a home brew doesnt require all the safety an industrial environment needs, there are lines that should not be crossed due to simple physics.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:36 AM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Murphy is very right about materials, if you want the system to do the job for a few years and you expect it to do the job safely use metal parts in the tanks.

You can get away with some reinforced plastic lines in areas of low preasure but thats about it.

Remember one of the components in the bomb McVey used to take down the Fed Courthouse in Oklahoma City was Diesel fuel.

Last edited by Phydeaux88; 03-01-2007 at 09:39 AM.

Quick Reply: need some advices please