6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Dashhawk Electronic Gauge Display

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 03:36 PM
riggz
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by F350blueberry
This may be a stupid question but if you have installed a tune from a flashpaq does the dashhawk still work.
The Dashhawk is an independent ODB-II scan tool. It will not tune nor program your truck's computer. It simply reads the info and displays it.

Just received mine today! Setting up all the parameters now.

Old 07-16-2007, 04:24 PM
OZX1
Posting Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by riggz
The Dashhawk is an independent ODB-II scan tool. It will not tune nor program your truck's computer. It simply reads the info and displays it.

Just received mine today! Setting up all the parameters now.
So clue me in... Does it ACCURATELY represent the EGT's, Boost, & transmission temp (out of the box)? I know it'll do a ton of stuff; but those--to me, are the top of the needs list. Let me know how it does!

Old 07-16-2007, 04:31 PM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
Boost - yes

Trans temp - kind of, it is working in the latest Beta software but I don't think it works in the software available to the public yet. I believe they are hoping to release the update in the next week or two.

EGT - only works with the beta software, and the add on thermocouple and different harness that isn't available to the public yet. Those are supposed to be released later this summer.

OZ, since you have an 03 and I don't know of any 03 super duty beta testers you might be able to sign up to be one. That would get you all of the parameters you would want. If you are interested PM me and I can send you the contact infor for the guy in charge, as well as a link to purchase the Dashhawk at a discounted price.

Last edited by Beerstalker; 07-16-2007 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:03 AM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
We are still making progress with the Dashhawk. Riggz and 07Dually have now received their Dashhawks and are helping with the beta testing. There should be a new software release within the next week or so. Once that is released I will make a post on what parameters are working and their readings. I feel that is better than posting on here about software that others might not have access to.

I am still very happy with my purchase though, as we seem to be making real progress.

One final thing. Oil pressure is not going to work unless we add on an aftermarket sensor. It seems that Fords Oil pressure sensor is simply a switch that turns on between 5-7 psi and stays on unless the pressure drops below that range. Thanks Ford.

Old 07-26-2007, 05:45 PM
riggz
Postmaster
I've got my EGT probe installed and working. I am kind of on the fence with the boost readings though. It reads up to 25psi then flips over to -25 or less vacuum.

Aside from that the rest works awesome!

Old 07-26-2007, 05:49 PM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
Riggz, don't know if you got the email from Ken or not but he said to use the Ford MAP parameter, as it is pretty much the same thing as boost and doesn't have the issue with switching to Vacuum.

Old 07-26-2007, 05:51 PM
riggz
Postmaster
funny you say this. i JUST got an email from him, new beta file to try out. i'll also try that method.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:09 AM
rchouser
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beerstalker and Riggz thanks for the ongoing updates. PLEASE keep posting. The dashhawk and hawkeye will be the ideal solution to my temprature/perfomance monitoring paranoia. I will go out to the MSD website and see how it is going. I may just go ahead and buy in.
As a side note, somewhere I have the instructions with part numbers to correct the Ford Oil Pressue sensor issue. It was originally published for the 95/97 v6 gasser's (explorer, aerostar, etc), but, the issue was the same. It was the complete instructions on how to replace the ford sensor and do away with some factory installed on/off type diode that moved allowed only an on off signal to the guage that triggered at 7 psi and moved the needle to the middle of the guage. This same diode was why the needle never went up or down. It was NOT a tough mod. I may still have the PDF around. I found the mod on a guys personnel website (he was selling some cold air mod kit out of his garage,) anyway, the Oil Pressure Guage reading problem is not new. I just didn't think Ford was still doing it with the diode. (I jumped from a 95 to a 2006). OK way off subject. Again, Beer Stalker and Riggs please keep this thread going. thanks rc

Old 07-27-2007, 10:02 AM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
If you decide you want to buy one send me a PM. I can give you the website and discount code to get it for $250, about $50 cheaper than anywhere else I found it.

Also, if you find that oil pressure sensor infor definitely post it here. It would be something I would be willing to look into further.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:55 PM
rchouser
Senior User
Beerstalker, I will send you a PM to ask for your website and code (as soon as I figure out how to send one. (This will be a first). It took a bit of digging, but, I save everything. What I have is a link to the site. http://www.rogueperformance.com/oilsw.html
This will take you right to the Oil Guage and sending unit fix. The site is kind of bizarre, but, even within the strangest garages, good parts can be found. If you go in through the front door www.rogueperformance.com click on the rogue performance block (upper right). Let me know what you think, then, I or you can post it for the general population. It is a straight forward jumper of the diode ford has on the oil pressure guage and a new sensor. Again, let me know what you think. thanks and I will PM you if you are still taking my messages after seeing this site. :-) rc

Old 07-27-2007, 02:21 PM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
Rchouser. I went ahead and sent you a PM with the link and discount code. To read it click on Privat Messages near the top right corner of your screen.

Also, just so you know the easiest way to send a person a private message is to left click on thier name, and then left click on send a privat messagee to "username".

As far as your Oil pressure sensor trick goes, I am going to have to look into that more. The sensors on the 6.0L all report back to the trucks computer, which then tells the gauges what to display. So there is no resistor to jump across in our trucks. I would be interested to see if the oil pressure sensor is the same part number though, and maybe it could be swapped out for one of the ones mentioned on that page. I'm not sure how the trucks computer system would handle that though, it might only be calibrated to recieve a certain voltage or none at all. That and I'm not 100% sure I know where the oil pressure sensor is even located.

Last edited by Beerstalker; 07-27-2007 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:30 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Beerstalker
Rchouser. I went ahead and sent you a PM with the link and discount code. To read it click on Privat Messages near the top right corner of your screen.

Also, just so you know the easiest way to send a person a private message is to left click on thier name, and then left click on send a privat messagee to "username".

As far as your Oil pressure sensor trick goes, I am going to have to look into that more. The sensors on the 6.0L all report back to the trucks computer, which then tells the gauges what to display. So there is no resistor to jump across in our trucks. I would be interested to see if the oil pressure sensor is the same part number though, and maybe it could be swapped out for one of the ones mentioned on that page. I'm not sure how the trucks computer system would handle that though, it might only be calibrated to recieve a certain voltage or none at all. That and I'm not 100% sure I know where the oil pressure sensor is even located.
I don't know if the oil pressure sensor resistor trick in that link will work on the 6.0 either, but i can tell you that the Oil Pressure Sensor does Not report or pass through the PCM, it is the only sensor that the PCM does not read (probably because it is just an on-off switch). The EOP sensor goes direct to the instrument cluster, bypassing the PCM.

Hope this helps with the programming of the dashhawk

Last edited by blackhat620; 07-27-2007 at 02:36 PM.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:58 PM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
Originally Posted by blackhat620
I don't know if the oil pressure sensor resistor trick in that link will work on the 6.0 either, but i can tell you that the Oil Pressure Sensor does Not report or pass through the PCM, it is the only sensor that the PCM does not read (probably because it is just an on-off switch). The EOP sensor goes direct to the instrument cluster, bypassing the PCM.

Hope this helps with the programming of the dashhawk
Are you sure about that Blackhat? I'm not doubting you, just wondering if you were going off the 6.0L bible information as it seems to contradict itself. It says that the Oil pressure switch doesn't go to the PCM on the page talking about it, but on the other page where it has a diagram of the sensor system it the oil pressure switch going to the PCM. Heres a link to the pages I'm talking about.

http://dan.prxy.org/Truck/6L_bible_h.../Page_056.html
http://dan.prxy.org/Truck/6L_bible_h.../Page_049.html

Last edited by Beerstalker; 07-27-2007 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:10 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Beerstalker
Are you sure about that Blackhat? I'm not doubting you, just wondering if you were going off the 6.0L bible information as it seems to contradict itself. It says that the Oil pressure switch doesn't go to the PCM on the page talking about it, but on the other page where it has a diagram of the sensor system it the oil pressure switch going to the PCM. Heres a link to the pages I'm talking about.

http://dan.prxy.org/Truck/6L_bible_h.../Page_056.html
http://dan.prxy.org/Truck/6L_bible_h.../Page_049.html

Yep, positive. Page 56 is correct, page 49 is incorrect, you can trace the wire on pages 92 & 93 at the top. This is easier to see on a PDF copy of the book as you can zoom in easier to read the wire tags.
http://dan.prxy.org/Truck/6L_bible_h...g_diagram.html
http://dan.prxy.org/Truck/6L_bible_h...g_diagram.html

Also you can trace the wires path in the Factory wiring diagrams that come in the Factory Service manuals from Helm.

Old 07-27-2007, 03:13 PM
hott-rodd
Elder User
Beerstalker, Got a 05 tester?
I'm bout ready to jump om the monitor wagon.
I want EGT, boost, and fuel pressure.
check your PM.

Quick Reply: Dashhawk Electronic Gauge Display