Oil & Lubrication  

The Amsoil Anomaly:

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 06:14 PM
birddog16
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005X I found some interesting reading on the IH site about Maintance intervals for the VT365. 10,000 miles on oil change and 20,000 miles on fuel filter. Not saying this is what anyone should be doing, but I will be asking a few questions when I go up for my next set of filters. Makes ya wonder if ford is just trying to drain a few pockets on scheduled maint.

Old 01-04-2007, 06:16 PM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mrxlh
Well there just happens to be an organization called the American Petroleum Institute, they are the indipendant testing and licensing authority. They are responsible for making sure everyones products meet a minimun set of criteria to be labeled as one spec or another (I.E. SM SL CD CH ect. ect.). If you go to the API website you can look up which companies are licensed to produce, market and sell said product carring an API certification, that is how I know.
Ryan, if you don't mind, I'll go a step further and post the URL for the American Petroleum Institute. I think this will benefit several of the posters
in this thread:

http://eolcs.api.org/

Old 01-04-2007, 06:22 PM
mrxlh
Postmaster
Originally Posted by birddog16
2005X I found some interesting reading on the IH site about Maintance intervals for the VT365. 10,000 miles on oil change and 20,000 miles on fuel filter. Not saying this is what anyone should be doing, but I will be asking a few questions when I go up for my next set of filters. Makes ya wonder if ford is just trying to drain a few pockets on scheduled maint.
Well, the oil change interval may have to do with the specifics of the injection system, as I do believe it is different on the VT 365 version compaired to the PSD version. As for the fuel filters they are totally different. VT 275 filters are used on the 6.0 PSD version. Ask the INT dealer next time you are there for a set of both fuel filters, I think you will see the reason for getting 20k out of the larger one they use on the VT365.

Old 01-04-2007, 07:00 PM
firesoutmatt
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Beachbumcook
I posted becuase the topic of this thread is Amsoil (re-read post #1). I posted about the Amsoil tranny fluid becuase of how they claim that it works in most/all trannys... and in Ford's.... they claim Mercon, Mercon V and Mercon SP... which is fasle advertising, false claims, mis-leading, could cause damage to one's tranny... and just a flat out LIE!!!!
This would be an good question to ask them . I will post your statement and see what they come back with. It should be interesting what they say (if they respond )

Old 01-04-2007, 07:04 PM
mrxlh
Postmaster
Beware -MLM Has New Marketing Tricks For ATF Fluid - Namely Mercon SP!!!

VersaTrans ATF is
not recommended for use in continuously

variable transmissions (CVT), most 6-speed transmissions, or in

automatic transmissions that require a GM DEXRON
®-VI, Ford

MERCON
® SP or Ford Type F fluid.

The above is a post from a product data sheet from Phillips 66 about their universal transmission fluid. Probably would never see this on Amsoil's site.

Last edited by horsepuller; 01-05-2007 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:33 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by birddog16
Keep reading... the VT365 holds more oil capacity and operates at a lower HP and Torque spec... so it is less stressfull on the oil.

Old 01-04-2007, 08:39 PM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for posting that Jeff. Glad you're still providing good info after 3 years on FTE.

The Amsoil marketing reminds me of an old Saturday Night Live skit, I think it was Dan Akroyd and Jane Curtin. They have a product that looks like thick Cool Whip and state, "It's a floor wax.... and a dessert topping! Tastes great.... and just look at that floor shine!"

Last edited by horsepuller; 01-05-2007 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:52 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kepler4
Thanks for posting that Jeff. Glad you're still providing good info after 3 years on FTE.
Wow... you either have a great memory... or you just read my "join date" in the upper right corner of my post. Actually was 1/1/04 that I joined... so I just had my 3 year anniversery on 1/1/07!!!

Last edited by horsepuller; 01-05-2007 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:42 PM
Gunner15a
Elder User

There is no way that a fluid can be Mercon, Mercon V and Mercon SP compatible... but it does in the "warped minds" of Amsoil marketing and dealers... use it in our Torqushift tranny's and you may be sorry!!!!
Warped, or desperate?

Gunner15a

Last edited by horsepuller; 01-05-2007 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:06 AM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am appalled that Amsoil's marketing is such that they would mis-lead and market a fluid that is compatitible with every known tranny fluid spec out there... since each spec has its own unique requirements... regardless of the brand or manufacture.
Unfortunately mis-leading and deceptive advertising has been Amsoils trade mark since the beginning. They hide behind innuendo and mis-leading statements instead of presenting industry standard 3rd party testing and certifications. Unfortunately Amsoil is no different than the gypsy snake oil salesmen selling elixir's off the back of wagons in the 1800's.

Great post, links and info Jeff Keep up the good work!

Last edited by horsepuller; 01-05-2007 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:07 AM
lwong
Senior User
All you "not-API-certified" guys,

How does not being API certified translate into being an inferior product? Does this apply to ALL non-API certified oils or only to Amsoil? Were you all aware that REDLINE oil is not API certified? Nobody seems to bash REDLINE about it, although their products enjoy a good reputation. They also practice the "recommended for API XXXXX service" in their product and fact sheets, yet nobody calls it deceitful. I guess it's because they are not MLM marketed, which doesn't seem to affect how an oil performs.

Not being API certified doesn't mean that the product doesn't perform. It COULD mean that in some instances it'll perform BETTER than an API certified oil. Has anyone here actually used Amsoil products in their personal cars? Has anyone here suffered a catastrophic failure due solely to the use of Amsoil? Has anyone here been denied a warranty claim because of the use of Amsoil? I am concerned only about how a product performs, not what certifications it carries. They've been selling product for 35 years. One would think that if their product were so inferior, the performance evidence would be huge by now.

Old 01-05-2007, 05:43 AM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Originally Posted by lwong
All you "not-API-certified" guys,

How does not being API certified translate into being an inferior product? Does this apply to ALL non-API certified oils or only to Amsoil? Were you all aware that REDLINE oil is not API certified? Nobody seems to bash REDLINE about it, although their products enjoy a good reputation. They also practice the "recommended for API XXXXX service" in their product and fact sheets, yet nobody calls it deceitful. I guess it's because they are not MLM marketed, which doesn't seem to affect how an oil performs.

Not being API certified doesn't mean that the product doesn't perform. It COULD mean that in some instances it'll perform BETTER than an API certified oil. Has anyone here actually used Amsoil products in their personal cars? Has anyone here suffered a catastrophic failure due solely to the use of Amsoil? Has anyone here been denied a warranty claim because of the use of Amsoil? I am concerned only about how a product performs, not what certifications it carries. They've been selling product for 35 years. One would think that if their product were so inferior, the performance evidence would be huge by now.
Here is a post from Flash, in a referenced thread. I think this post answers a lot of your questions:

"You asked about Amsoils advertizing and is it more objectionable than the others- yes, by a lot. Most of the info you have posted came from the Amsoil website in their slimball advertizing. Standard Oil produced the first PAO synthetic basestocks in 1928. You won't find that on the Amsoil website. The largest producer of PAO basestock was Gulf Oil company in 1954, before Amzoil was created, and they only had one customer- Uncle Sam. Amsoil would have you believe that they were the first with PAO basestock technology and they are the oldest and most experienced in the applications of same. Have they bothered to tell you that Amzoil at one time was an ester based product? Were there failures? I know of two. But, Amsoil can advertize that they have never paid any claim against their product because that is just the exact fact- they haven't paid and are not most likely to pay any claim for any reason. I don't have any problems with Amsoils products as long as the buyer is aware of the FULL Amsoil recommended procedures in using their products. Analysis to trend the engine is required. Don't read much about that on their website unless you look at the small print. Changing the filter every 5,000 miles and adding a qt is in the fine print. By the time you have driven the "warranteed" 25,000 miles, you have already changed the oil in the engine one qt at a time but still have dirty, used oil. And sometimes, the analysis doesn't come back so good even at 5,000 miles. But here is something for you think about. Dino oils have made fantastic gains while synthetics are the same ho-hum they've always been. It is not uncommon today to have a decent SM rated oil in a modern Triton engine with a very acceptable UOA at 10,000 or even 15,000 miles. Are the oils that much better? In some regards- yes. But the real factor in longer OCIs is the cleaner burning engines we now have. There is not near the amount of trash washed into the oil like the older engines. Add the cleaner burning fuels we have nowadays and it's fairly easy to see why we all are guilty of changing perfectly good oil out. Even old Wallys oil can be run to the five digit mileage and still have enough left over to be considered good to go. Amsoil products- some are remarkable like the Series 3000 or the HDD. Amsoils advertizing and just outright lies- unacceptable."

I also suggest that you learn more about API certification:

http://eolcs.api.org/

And last, everybody should read the Amsoil warranty "fine print". Just a couple points of interest.

1) You have to request a warranty in writing in advance to Amsoil.

2) You have to know the batch information off the oil containers. How many of you keep the old oil containers when you change your oil???

http://www.amsoil.com/warranty.aspx

Last edited by Bob Ayers; 01-05-2007 at 06:21 AM.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:19 AM
lwong
Senior User
I guess I could re-phrase my question as "Could a non-API-certified motor oil perform as well as or better than an API-certified oil?", but we are all intelligent enough to know the answer to that.

Old 01-05-2007, 06:24 AM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Originally Posted by lwong
I guess I could re-phrase my question as "Could a non-API-certified motor oil perform as well as or better than an API-certified oil?", but we are all intelligent enough to know the answer to that.
And another question might be: "Why would you pay more for a non-API certified oil, when there are API certified oils that are cheaper?"

(...and we all know why the non-API certified oil cost more, but we won't go there.....)

Last edited by Bob Ayers; 01-05-2007 at 07:02 AM.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:23 AM
lwong
Senior User
Cost is not an indicator of oil performance, and neither is API certification.

We are going nowhere with this, in fact, we ARE nowhere with this.

Why do some API certified oils cost more than other API certified oils?

Quick Reply: The Amsoil Anomaly: