Alberta Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Puddy

Recommend Calgary Repair Shop

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 05:08 PM
PEIAero
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommend Calgary Repair Shop

My son just moved to Calgary and is having a problem with getting his Ford Ranger to start(two weeks of tinkering and replacing electrical components now). Can someone recommend a good trustworthy shop in Calgary. He is living in the south part of Calgary and will have to tow the truck to get it fixed somewhere. He is just young and I would rather someone did not take advantage of him by fixing or replacing parts unnecessarily.

Thanks
Peiaero

Old 12-16-2006, 04:25 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
What year Ranger ?

Since I left Calgary I have lost touch in "who's in the know" these days.

I have heard great things and bad things about the "Dale Adams" shop On McLeod Tr Near 46th ave.

There are a few " hole in the wall shops that were good buy they have moved.
I would look for the CAA or AMA apporoved shops.

Too bad he wasn't near Red Deer

Old 12-16-2006, 05:32 PM
PEIAero
New User
It is a 93 Ranger. So far, he has replaced the coil, icm, distributor cap and rotor, and plugs. On the tester to see if any spark, he is just getting an intermittant spark about every 5 seconds when cranking it. He says that he is getting fuel by the smell when he removes a plug. I think that he is in over his head in trying to get this truck running by himself. I can fix some of the things on the mechanical side of things but I do not have the electrical expertise either. According to the surveys about auto repair that have been done, you are very lucky to find a good shop. If you don't know anybody in the city, you are in an even worse position.

Old 12-17-2006, 11:52 AM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Sit down

sometimes a no start condition is because of corrsion at the distributor plug in for the wiring harness.

Clean that off real good with a small wire brush and try it again.

He needs to come to the Ranger forum (maybe he already has ?) and we can help him with the diagnosis.

Old 12-21-2006, 10:16 AM
PEIAero
New User
He tried cleaning up the connections. I know that he posted his problems on a different forum. He got a lot of cures for the problem but not much in the way of diagnosing it properly. Anyway, he did take it to Dale Adams. They got him in right away and had the truck going the next day. It turned out that there was a lot of corrosion within the distributor itself. They said that they could have just replaced the pickup coil but suggested that because of the corrosion it would be better to replace the entire distributor. Cost was reasonable I guess for doing the diagnostics and finding the problem.(Auto service is plenty costly these days). I guess that is my a lot of us turn to these forums for help. As long as you don't mind getting your hands dirty, you can do quite a bit more than you thought that you could.

Thanks for the help.
PEIAero