89 van horn help

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 10:43 AM
4wheelvanman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 van horn help

Hi all I have a 89 e-150 with a straight 300 auto trans.My horn works with no key but if it is in the accessory or run nothing,not even a click at the relay.I took apart the colom,no shorts,cleaned all contacts,still nothing.Now I do have cruse cont in the wheel also.It seems like the yellow power feed doesnt have power in acc or run position.Am I correct yellow is the power and blue is ground.Any help would be great even if I have to tap into the wires and use a ugle button to activate it.Thanks in advance .Ken

Old 10-21-2006, 11:36 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
It sounds like the column has lost it's ground. To double check this, ground the steering shaft with a short piece of scrap wire from something metal under the dash or on the body. When you touch the ground to the shaft, see if the problem goes away.

If you find that is the problem, you can try putting a permanent jumper wire around the rag joint at the steering box and see if that takes care of it. Some vehicles had a little scraper down in the column that rubbed the shaft to ground it. I have not seen one of these, but it sounds hard to get to. The jumper around the rag joint should ground the column through the steering box.

Old 10-22-2006, 10:02 AM
4wheelvanman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi,Thanks for the tip,I remember back in the day that jumper wire.I will check it out.Thanks .Ken