1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

65 overdrive trans

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2002, 11:38 PM
Brian460
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
65 overdrive trans

I have a friend that has a 65 F-100, and he has recently aquired a 3spd with an OD unit on it from another 65 F-100 that had the I-6.

My question is how well will this tranny hold up to a 352-4V, and what do the two electrical items on the trans do?

Brian:-)

Old 08-27-2002, 05:58 AM
banjopicker66
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
65 overdrive trans

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 27-Aug-02 AT 07:04 AM (EST)]Brian: These overdrive trannies are great,I've had one for over 20 years. BUT:
FIRST SEE MY DANGER WARNING FURHER DOWN!
To answer your question, if the overdrive (OD) tail housing has R-11 cast into it, it will hold up quite well. What it WON'T tolerate well, though, is goofing off, popping the clutch, etc. Originally, it came with a 2V carb, so I mention this reference the 4V. It is designed as a working man's way to save on gas, yet get decent performance. I have one in my '66, and I really like it.
You have two electrical items on your trans: The upper one, on the passenger side, is the governor, and the lower one, on the driver's side is the actuation solenoid. You have a number of other items, so I'll describe them as well. This is, of course, a factory intallation I am describing. If yours was transplanted, it may not be all there.
This is a Warner T-89N transmission. It is essentially a T-89 3 speed with an OD attached. It differs from the T-89 in that the T-89N has a few modifications for the OD extension to work.
1. Your governor closes the main circuit when your speed gets high enough, usually about 30 mph.
2. This activates a internally fused relay, which is on your firewall in the engine compartment above the main wiring harness port. The relay energizes the primary circuit in the solenoid.
3. When pressure is removed from the drivetrain by taking your foot off the gas momentarily, the solenoid drives home a pawl to lock in the OD sun and planetary gears. Once the pawl is in, an internal switch in the solenoid turns off the main circuit, and uses a less powerful circuit to hold the solenoid in. Thus the need for 2 wires. In other words, the way it works is this: Get up to about 30 mph, take your foot off the gas, listen/feel for the "clunk", and drive on at a lower rpm!
4. When the engine starts to bog down (because in high gear, a heavy load going uphill for example), your increasing pressure on the acclerator will activate a kickdown switch under it. This switch momentarily does 2 things: It kills the engine by grounding out the coil, and kills power to the solenoid. This allows the solenoid to drop out, effectively lowering the gears ratio, and giving you more power.
5. Occasionally, you will not want the OD to activate. While stopped, pull the handle under the dash marked "Overdrive". this engages a mechanical lever which internally locks out the OD, and keeps it in gear.
WARNING! WARNING!
THIS OD TRANSMISSION WILL NOT HOLD UNLESS IT IS IN REVERSE GEAR!
The OD unit has what is known as a overrunning clutch in it. That is, if the wheels are turning faster than the gears in the transmission, the wheels are allowed to FREEWHEEL.
This is dangerous because if the truck is in any gear but reverse, it WILL ROLL, even if it is in gear! ALWAYS, ALWAYS, get in the habit of putting it in reverse before you touch the keys.
I loaned my truck to my dad, and it rolled backwards, in first gear, with the door wide open. The door caught a tree, and bent the door pillar so far back the windshield leaks, and it isn't fixable.
Also, if you carry a heavy load, MAKE SURE your OD system is working. If not, pull the handle out, and live with the poor gas mileage. I had my solenoid die going downhill a number of years ago with 3000 lbs of stuff, which meant I had only my drum brakes to slow the truck down. I sure wish I had had disc brakes then for sure for sure!!! I burned up a set of brand new drum brakes that way, trying to stop, which I nearly didn't. When I say "live" with the poor gas mileage, I mean it. You may not otherwise!
Some other cautions: They have a tendency to leak, because the solenoid seal isn't good. Be sure to keep the transmission full.
When you change the fluid, let it drain for a while, and then when you fill it, let it sit for a while between checkings. The openings between the main gearbox and the OD unit are sometimes small, and the 90W gear oil may take awhile to seep into the OD part of the unit. Also check the OD unit for any extra fill or drain plugs and be sure to use them if they are there.
Enjoy! I get about 18 MPG at 75 MPH with my 352 2V V-8 and OD transmission, so it is WORTH the extra hassles!

Old 08-27-2002, 08:57 AM
44dwarf
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
65 overdrive trans

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 27-Aug-02 AT 09:58 AM (EST)]Thanks John!
I printed your response out. I hope to do this same conversion some day my self. My wife like the 3 on the tree and we hate automatics.

44Dwarf

Old 08-27-2002, 01:37 PM
44dwarf
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
65 overdrive trans