Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Stupid ? why the big swing in PSD mpg and not V10 mpg

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 10:24 PM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,458 Likes on 951 Posts
i sure miss my 97 f350 in my gallery....i had that 7.3 all souped up with injectors chip intake exhaust idm mod etc etc etc....she would flat out haul and still gave me about 15-17 mpg regularly, but my back could not take the ride of that truck, it was horrbile

when it had stock tires the best mpg i ever got was 19.2, i averaged around 15-17...that was with 4.10s

since i wanted a new truck i decided on the v10, i like the power, quiet and smoothness of it, and it pulls nice too.....i still have acess to our 03 f350 cab and chassis flatbed with a 7.3 6 spd 4.10 ls with 6637 intake and straight piped exhaust and mild chip for really heavy towing and hualing..hell she only has 22k miles, and get an average of about 14-15 with a 100 gallon fuel tank on the back

i drove a new 6.0 and i was thouroughly unimpressed with it....

Old 06-29-2006, 10:55 PM
Wrenchtraveller
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Kubota, I hear you, I owned a 6.0 and was thouroughly unimpressed with it's mileage and it's poor reliability.
My 95 and 2000 PSDs were good solid engines & got me a desent 17 MPG.

The 6.0 lemon only got 13 and I'm getting that now with my V10.

No the real answer to the question this post started is the poor economy of the 6.0 and the dreams of the people who own it.

Old 06-29-2006, 11:47 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mjanulaitis
That was on cruise control at 72mph for about 600 miles (44 gallon tank). I think they are all full of it. 22 mpg what ever. They must drive like a grandma and have bone stock bald tires. Step on the throttle just once and forget it.
Ok several people now have hammered about the 22mpg that I posted, if you actually read the post, I didn't say anything at all about that bieng an average EVER. I said I have gotten as high as 22mpg and that was keeping the speed down below 65mph, and using cruise control (not on an interstate), you mentioned the best mileage you got you were trying and running at 75mph, sounds like you were trying to kill the mileage so you can be mad at the 7.3, NO ONE runs over 70mph looking for better fuel economy. Heck going from 65 to 70 will drop my fuel economy 2mpg easy. You are driving the aerodynamic equivelant of a brick, the faster you go the faster it burns fuel and that works mo matter which engine you run.
I didn't come in here hammering V10s not even a little bit, but I have sure gotten hammered over that post and bieng honest about my mileage and what I get average, and what I have gotten on occasion. 11mpg is the absolute worst mileage I have gotten towing a 4500lb trailer, with a 15000 lb fire truck on it at 65mph, and thats fact.
I didn't come into this thread to start a war, nor will I get into one, and you will never hear me defend the 6.0, there is a reason I own a 2000, and not a 2004 F250, and there is a reason I won't own a 2008 too, I don't like the new diesels and the epa requirements on them, it's just a bad deal and can't lead to any good. Maybe I should just stay out of it, but I am very offended at bieng called a liar, so any of you that want to why just come on over and we will go for a drive filling up before we leave and when we get back to see exactly what type of mileage I get, I am willing to put my money where my mouth is. I am not saying we will get 22mpg but I am saying you will see it getting 17 driving rural roads.

Old 06-30-2006, 07:38 AM
captchas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
easy guys rob is a mechanic and big rig driver so as to his 22 as a best i beilive him fully as it's possible when you drive as he just posted. and how correct about the shape of a big brick being thrown threw the air.

when i had my own 7.3 it got a best ever of 20 on a few tank loads and that was all at speeds of 60 to 65. same when i had a dayly driver 1981 vw rabbit 1.6 L NA deisel over 70 it would drop to the mid 30's , under 65 at about a steady 55 to 60 , 50 mpg's where very easy to get. speed/rpm and torque bands all play into the factors go above you loose. go under and lug them you loose

another diesel that could be or not be. was the trophy boat i just sold. it's tinny 1.7L 120 hp cummins/mercruiser turbo diesel at speeds of under 2200 rpm would pull a steady 2.0 +or - just a tad. gals a hour. go and push it up to max at 4.000 it would jump to 5 gals a hour . fuel milage is and always has been in any motorized vehicle up to the operator and how it used.

Old 06-30-2006, 11:48 AM
NickFordMan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by captchas
welcome back down nick.. no it's diesel guys like you and rob who understand us that make it more fun .
Hey guys, I know you're all fairly tolerant, and we all appreciate that. You all remember how I was at first when I came to these boards with regards to the V10...it was after some research and experience, along with all you kind V10 owners that I started to look at things a little more realistically. You'll never get me out of the '96 7.3...but like a lot of people here...I would probably buy a new V10 given the current options in the diesel market if I absolutely had to buy a brand new vehicle. I think I'll just keep using 7.3's forever.

I stand by my fuel mileage numbers at a steady 19 mpg 60/40 city/hwy with 285/75 Geolander AT's and 4.10's, 5 speed manual. I've hit 21 before...just not consistantly...you all know how hard it is to keep the syndrome under control...you know, the condition known as "ledfootitis"

Old 06-30-2006, 02:33 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 300 Likes on 157 Posts
It would be interesting to see if all those people with sky-high mileage have the overhead console.

"Hey look, if I let my foot off the go-pedal, I get 22MPG!" - and then just remember 22MPG being their highest ever

You have to remember the demographic is different between diesel and V10. The V10 crowd is, how shall I say it diplomatically, more informed?

Monsterbaby, the 7.3's MPG is believeable, absolutely... sometimes we forget we're talking to the 7.3 people too when we say "diesel". And that there are really nice well-informed people that like the smell of diesel fuel

Either way, no problem!

The EPA thing related to diesels is a problem, for sure. But it gets worse when engineers scramble to come up with ways to meet new standards. They should have known about the new rules WAY beforehand and should have been already working on ways to meet it. The 6.0 seems to be proof that the "let's get it done at the last minute, throw it on there, and then fix the problems later" way of doing things doesn't work.

I'm still waiting for major corporations of all types to realize that they spend more money warrantying things later than they would have either paying better engineers, raising QC, or spending the extra money to make SURE some electronic doo-dad is going to last 300K miles instead of 30K.

Old 06-30-2006, 02:50 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

actually I do have the overhead cousel, the lieometer read something like 27mpg when it was actually 22 as calculated with a calculator. (after driving about 100 miles and looked at that when I got home I had to go fill it up because 27 seemed so outragous, well it was which is fine I was happy that it actually worked out at 22)
As to the warrenty and others, I drive a 2005 Volvo Semi, truck is almost 1 yr old, has approx 243,000 as of today, and is going in for the 4th time for egr valve issues, the cost in parts alone so far for the egr issue is almost $6000, luckily it is under warrenty for another 7000 miles. But it has gone through 3 egr valves, and now has a cracked egr cooler, and this truck is not an exception but rather the rule when it comes to these egr valves. My neighbor is a mechanic for a local grocery store chain here in town they run a lot of the volvos for the newer trucks (all thier trucks that are new enough to have emisions equipment are volvos) they have approx 120 of these trucks and go through so many egr valves they order 20 at a time direct from the manufactorer at the cost of $1400 each. Wait till the 6.4 comes out with 6 egr valves, and I heard (not confirmed) that they will cost $800 each, thats equal to the amount that a diesel option used to be, no thank you.
As to if something happened to my truck, and I had to buy a newer one, quiet honestly I probably would give a V10 a very serious look, and most likely would end up with one instead of a "smoker", truth is I like the 7.3, and mine is one of the earlier ones that still has the forged steel rods, after looking at the 6.0 a couple years ago I decided not me, then did some looking at the 6.4 when it was announced and flat out decided I will just keep my truck probably till I die, it has 102,000 miles on it, the body is in great shape, interiour is nice and the best part is IT'S PAID FOR.

Old 06-30-2006, 06:28 PM
captchas
man rob do i ever have to agree with that one. the 2000 7.3 i had was great and as i sold it to a family member when i got 03 sick o . i know it is running with 300k on the clock now and that motor still hums and it was never chiped . the 6.0 made me buy a dodge what a mistake number one was lemon lawed for a new that one got traded for my 05 v10 and a can say it's only had 3 every minor problems that have caused it need 3 hours of repair total as i was able to wait each time .

whan the new comes out fine and maybe and i will have to say the same as rob and art it's paid for . made the last payment last month. thats a very big help.

Old 06-30-2006, 07:12 PM
Wrenchtraveller
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes the 6.0 has sold a lot of Dodges but I guess it has sold quite a few V10s too, mine for sure. My 2000 7.3 was running sweet but it was a fairly cheap model and then I sat in an 04 Lariat CC with a sunroof and I fell for it.They gave me a good buck for the 2000 , zero percent financing on the 04. The first 04 they brought in for me had an 03 motor. I killed that deal and they found the same truck with an 04 engine. It still was a piece of crap and I ordered the V10 CC lariat with a sun roof and I love the thing. It is a keeper and the next money I throw at Ford will be for a factory order Mustang GT convertable. I have all the truck I want.

Old 06-30-2006, 08:00 PM
captchas
i just put up a new gallery with my old ones. wish i still had the black one.

Old 06-30-2006, 08:07 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Heck Charlie, I wish I had your old black one, that was a nice looking truck. I really should put some pics in a gallery of my superduty all my galleries have is mostly my race stuff.

Old 06-30-2006, 10:17 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Wrench, my wife is dieing - DIEING for a new Mustang.

I guess I gotta get a job and buy her one before she leaves me

JK...

Old 07-01-2006, 11:49 AM
captchas
Originally Posted by monsterbaby
Heck Charlie, I wish I had your old black one, that was a nice looking truck. I really should put some pics in a gallery of my superduty all my galleries have is mostly my race stuff.
thanks rob.

it was and still is like that a grand one . even with 300k on it. my uncle purchased it. but thats a 7.3 for you.

Old 07-03-2006, 04:36 PM
mjanulaitis
New User
The stock programming for both the 7.3 and 6.0 PSD is absolutely awful. You really have to put some money into your airflow and fuel flow. Once you do that, the difference is night and day.

I find it interesting the moderator would say PSD owners are less informed. I think it depends who you are talking to. I can see that if the PSD owner is buying the smelly fuel for mileage. 4K engine price upgrade and anther 2K in modifications, 15 quarts of oil, 1K more lbs. on the front axles, AND fuel that runs (at least here in Utah) about 10 to 30 cents more than premium probably isn't thinking clearly. I'm imagining most of you'all in this forum live in the flats. My V10 RV I just bought does great on flats. I was quite surprised at the low end take off speed. I almost ripped the surge brake actuator off my trailer several times. As soon as I hit a grade...it's all over . Out here in Utah we all have diesels. It's very rare to see a V10 and when you do...it's in the slow lane with the big rigs (maybe the middle lane...but never the left one). The PSDs can pretty much all run the longest steepest grades towing a 5-10K trailer in the fast lane passing every type of regular gasser car you can imagine. When you live in an area where you are either going up a grade or down a grade and there are virtually no flats...that's very important...hence the reason we all spend about 6K more out the door.

After this weekend, I could definitely see how buying a PSD in flat land America is a waste of money. So in that sense I agree with you’all.

Old 07-03-2006, 04:43 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by mjanulaitis
I find it interesting the moderator would say PSD owners are less informed.
We are all gun-shy here in V10-land. After being bashed over and over and over again, you get a little punchy.

I should have said "less informed about gassers" - not less informed overall.

Quick Reply: Stupid ? why the big swing in PSD mpg and not V10 mpg