1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Oil leak covered under warrenty shoud i let dealer fix?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 05:52 PM
PoWeRsTrOkEdF250
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil leak covered under warrenty shoud i let dealer fix?

Well I guess my title and answer to my post is pretty obvious as in YES let them do it. But It kinda scares me to I have a 2002 F250 With a 7.3 and it has a oil pan gasket leak. Actually it looks more like Honda Bond surface sealer. Either way its covered under the 100k Ford warrenty with the 100 deductable. The dealer said they have to pull the engine out to fix it and that kinda scares me. I work at a Honda car dealer as a service tech and I know how things can be rushed and not done perfectly. When under the gun or a tech just having a bad day and dosent care because its not his car. So it makes me uneasy at times because it seems like a lot of work just to fix an oil pan gasket leak. I live outside of Reno nevada and will be taking the truck to JonesWest Ford to have it fixed as thats where I bought the truck as well used with 61,000 now has 72,000. Has anyone else had to have this work done as well and how was your results. Anyone in particular have this work done at the dealer im taking my truck to? I have heard a lot of bad things about jones west in the sales and servicing department. But really had no choice as to where to buy or take the truck to be fixed for warrenty issues I do all my own repairs are services if not covered under a warrenty of some sort . Others dealers are just to far out of the way for me to justifie it. Any input would be good to hear thanks Steven

Last edited by PoWeRsTrOkEdF250; 06-02-2006 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:00 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i am on the other side of the "world", but i can say that they are truthful in needing to replace the pan gasket by removing the engine. the only cure short of pulling the engine is permatexing the joint at the block and pan all the way around.

Old 06-02-2006, 06:08 PM
Wieckster
Senior User
I have the same problem with my truck I found out that there is no gasket for that I called the dealership and they said use silicone for a gasket does that sound right. I didnt know that it was covered under the warrenty I would like to get some more input from all you guys on this issue.

Old 06-02-2006, 07:42 PM
blown99
Senior User
THe engine does have to be removed to reseal the pan. I usually install a new pan as the old one almost always gets bent or tweaked trying to remove it. They don't use silcone that you can buy at walmart or napa. It is an RTV made by dow corning called wacker 442. IT will bond through oil, chemically react with regualr rtv sealers (smokes and gets hot) and requires it to sit overnight with no oil in the pan for best adhesion.