1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner
View Poll Results: Do you (almost) obsessively modify other things besides your PSD?
I have always modified most things trying to make them work better.
66.67%
I have only modified vehicles, and the PSD is not my first.
13.33%
I have modified other things, but never vehicles.
5.00%
I have never modified anything before - the PSD is my first.
13.33%
You guys are stupid to change anything from stock because engineers always know best.
1.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

PMS - Is It New to You, or Have You Always Suffered?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 10:49 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 799 Likes on 610 Posts
Some of you guys make me feel like I only have a mild case of PMS!
Headers and cherry bombs on my gassers.
Modified my 1980 VW diesel Dasher to accept a 1983 VW Quantum turbo-diesel and 5 speed transmission. Turned the pump up and put a big exhaust pipe on it. A real sleeper. It would torque steer at 85 mph.
Banks headers on my 1995 F-250 460.
And of coarse the PSD.

Old 04-10-2006, 10:49 AM
doc526
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most mods done to my daily drivers were mostly cosmetic. Wheels, K/N filters, stereo upgrades.
Mods to my PSD have been mild. I did an AIS upgrade and will be doing a 4" upgrade exhaust and guages in the future. No more mods after that. Ill reserve the really trick mods for a "play" truck in the future.
During the winter of '02 I took a '98 H-D Road Glide and made it a Roadking. Rewired the bike, made a custom guage bracket and handlebar cover, jetted the carb, added drag pipes.
Now I usually take the mod itches out on my '49 Ford F1 truck. Pics of that are in my gallery.

Old 04-10-2006, 06:54 PM
Wings
Senior User
I never leave well enough alone. I have always tweaked all the cars I have ever had in the past 38 years.

Currently. 1946 flathead V8. Bored and stroked it from 239 ci to 296 ci. Pontiac intake valves. Isky 410 track cam. Navaro aluminum heads. Relieved intake area in block. ported exhaust. shaved about 10 lbs off the flywheel. Dual Strombergs on a vintage Edelbrock slingshot intake. Guessing I went from 95hp to near or better than 200. All this done on my 1930 Ford Coupe hiboy.

1925 Ford track roadster with a 292 inline chevy 6 with Isky 525 cam. Triple carb Offenhauser intake. Carbs have been rejetted or should I say repiped to run alcohol. Haven't yet finished this project, still looking for a Winters quick change rear end at a good price.

Ever since I bought my first car, a 1956 Chevy Belair back in 1968, I have modified something or another. If it has an engine, I just can't leave it alone. The only combustion engine I couldn't modify was my Piper Cherokee 235. The FAA frowns on that.

Old 04-10-2006, 07:12 PM
arninetyes
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Wings
The only combustion engine I couldn't modify was my Piper Cherokee 235. The FAA frowns on that.
Yeah. According to a friend, they don't make awful noises or threaten or fine you. They just refuse to certify it. I love to fly - but I know it would be the end. I'd end up on skid row looking for one more "fix" - just one more hour...

I can see it now, I'd have to carry a sign that says, "Will work for left seat time."

Old 04-10-2006, 07:20 PM
Wings
Senior User
Originally Posted by arninetyes
Yeah. According to a friend, they don't make awful noises or threaten or fine you. They just refuse to certify it. I love to fly - but I know it would be the end. I'd end up on skid row looking for one more "fix" - just one more hour...

I can see it now, I'd have to carry a sign that says, "Will work for left seat time."
Flying is probably my biggest passion. I have always said it is the most fun you will ever have with your cloths on.

Old 04-10-2006, 07:39 PM
dcf4x4
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I place the blame squarely on this website. I was fine, minding my own business and enjoying life... and then I found this place. It's been downhill, uphill, and "don't spare the horses", ever since.

Old 04-11-2006, 10:12 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 799 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by Wings
Flying is probably my biggest passion. I have always said it is the most fun you will ever have with your cloths on.
I have about 35 hours on my log book and then I had to land. I just don't make enough to support that habit. I love it though.

Old 04-13-2006, 10:57 AM
Wings
Senior User
Yea Kwik, it is not cheap. Unfortunatly I lost the 235 in a divorce a few years back and now because of the rising cost of used airplanes, I had to return to renting which is astronomical. I am having a hard time justifying a $100,000 airplane as a hobby. This is probably why I returned to hot rods and vintage racing. These too might be expensive, but at least I am not paying for annuals, hanger fees and all else related to owning an airplane.