Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Government catches on to CPS problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 08:21 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
I don't think that will get them off the hook, as a percentage of the new sensors will still fail within the 10,000 miles, and it will be quasi-proof that the problem isn't solved at all with that fix, and the NHTSA will still be on 'em!

I'm not entirely convinced that the failure is completely time/milage related. Air gap also enters into this equation.

If they ever start using "burnt-in" parts, and be able to set the air gaps, the cost of these things is going to go through the roof! Of course, the reliability will also go up.

But at what cost?

Pop

Old 03-08-2006, 08:52 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Define "air gap", and "burnt-in" as it relates please.

In other words...I don't get it.

Old 03-08-2006, 08:56 PM
GeoffNJ
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe we should all be on the lookout for a CPS, possibly from a completely different vehicle, that would work on the PSD. We mod everything else. Why not that? At $60-$100/pop, it can get old.

Old 03-08-2006, 09:02 PM
Ed Willmott
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cleatus12r
Thank the aliens that crashed in Roswell, NM for the primitive silicon they introduced us to.......

Cody
I KNEW it was their fault! Ford should blame the aliens, make them do the recall!!!!!! We have about the same chance of some fair resolution either way.

Old 03-08-2006, 09:04 PM
GeoffNJ
Elder User
Probably more of a chance with the aliens. At least better communication.

Last edited by GeoffNJ; 03-08-2006 at 09:05 PM. Reason: bad selling
Old 03-08-2006, 10:11 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
I don't think that will get them off the hook, as a percentage of the new sensors will still fail within the 10,000 miles, and it will be quasi-proof that the problem isn't solved at all with that fix, and the NHTSA will still be on 'em!
Pop
And I'm not convinced that Ford is on the hook at all. I'm fairly certain the NHTSA takes seat belts way more seriously than they are going to take the CPS issue, and a owner's manual revision got GM out of that one.

If there was a major safty issue like brakes failing or the steering locking when they stall, it would be a different story. With 3 "minor accidents" reported so far, I don't think there is going to be any recall. This is simply the NHTSA justifying their budget.

Old 03-09-2006, 01:28 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Cookie,

"Burnt-in" parts are electronic components that have been pre-tested for long periods of time to screen out the ones that suffer infant mortality. The space program uses them to drastically improve reliability. They are also sometimes known as "screened" parts.

The "air gap" is the distance between the end of the Hall-effect CPS and the reluctor wheel that triggers it. There is a proper distance, in this case I believe it is .025" (twenty-five thousandths of an inch), but in practice, it isn't measured when installing a new CPS, so the air gap is not only inconsistent, it's really an unknown. Just what we need when attempting to find a solution, a wild card.

I suspect most CPS' are replaced because they are beginning to get "intermittant", not completely dead. Well, the transistor is going to either work properly, be shorted, or be blown open. The last two conditions will cause the engine to die and NOT re-start. So, an "intermittant" is actually a good Hall-effect device with either an intermittant solder connection, an intermittant other passive component, a corroded (or tarnished) connector, or too large an air gap.

I'd be really interested to see how many intermittant CPS' would be fine just from unplugging and re-plugging them as a result of being a slightly oxidized connector. I suspect this is why International went to the gold-plated connectors in the later CPS'.

Enough thoughts for tonight.

My old head hurts!

Pop

Last edited by SpringerPop; 03-09-2006 at 01:36 AM.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:39 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
don't forget the early 90s recall GM did on thier pickups that were catching fire because teh transmission would over heat and spew hot ATF out the vent tube onto the cat and catch fire. A true fix would have been to put in a trans cooler but thier recall was to take a 14" long piece of rubber tubing stick it onto the vent tube and wire tie it to the left side of the trans so when it spewed fluid it just went out onto the ground. No I have no faith in any of them actually fixing the problem.

Old 03-09-2006, 03:11 AM
PTPDK9
New User
Cps???

Ok Where Is The Cps??? And Should I Just Get One Off Ebay Or Goto Ford And Buy It???? And I Got The Truck With 57,000mi On It Can I Check To See If It Has Been Replaced Already????

Old 03-09-2006, 03:43 AM
Vulcan3.0
Freshman User
Interesting thread.
I've had to replace two. Both went out early while on a trip. The first one at around 20K mi. The second one right at 29-30K. During the second replacement they actually couldnt find a faulty code with the cps. Stated that the fuel module was out. replaced it. still wouldn't start... since it was still under warranty they replaced both the PCM & CPS. Hasn't burped since.
Will get a spare prior to leaving on our vacation this coming fall. Doesn't look all that easy to replace one but will be prepared to do so.

Old 03-09-2006, 06:14 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome PTPDK9 to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!

We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords.

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 03-09-2006, 02:22 PM
Ed Willmott
Senior User
Originally Posted by PTPDK9
Ok Where Is The Cps??? And Should I Just Get One Off Ebay Or Goto Ford And Buy It???? And I Got The Truck With 57,000mi On It Can I Check To See If It Has Been Replaced Already????
Welcome to FTE.

1. CPS is located on the lower passenger side of the front of the engine - near the crank pulley. Do a search on this forum and you will find more info and even pics.

2. Ebay VS dealer - depends on if you want to spend a lot of money (dealer) or a little bit of money (ebay) It also depends on if you have a dead truck by the side of the road somewhere (dealer) or if you are buying a spare (ebay)

3. Don't know if you can verify previous replacement by looking at it. But more importantly have you experienced any of the symptoms? If not, don't worry about it, reading the data from the poll at least 35-40% of the time it doesn't fail between 50,000 and 200,000 miles.

Check out the poll data at:https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=469832

Old 03-20-2006, 04:54 PM
MyGreenDino
New User
Red face How do I tell if my stalling problem comes from CPS?

I'm brand new (!) to the forum, so bear with my ignorance. I won't play the ignorant female card, even though in this case, that's my problem. I'm hoping some of you nice guys can enlighten me.

My 2002 F350 suddenly stalled while driving home last week, about 1/4 mile from the starting point, so the engine wasn't warm. It was about 45 degrees F outside.

Just this a.m. it stalled again as I slowed to turn into the driveway at work. The truck was warmed up after my 7 mile drive. Ambient temp about 39 degrees F outside.

I've had no other problems, except for an occasional engine hiccup that occurs randomly (can't find any pattern), and feels like a hesitation. It's such a passing thing that it hasn't slowed me down a bit.

So, is the above indicative of a CPS problem? Or is it something else (like dirty or faulty injector)? I've never had a diesel vehicle before this one and she hasn't given me any trouble so far, so I'm really a babe in the woods.

Oh, she's got just around 36K miles on her, and I changed out her air filter last summer and it currently reads as clean.

Old 03-20-2006, 05:14 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Welcome to the forum!! I'm sure you'll find it friendly and informing. Keep in mind, most of us were (or still are ) ignorant males too.

Those are classic signs of a CPS going out. It sounds like you've been having this problem for a while. You'll want to go out and get yourself a new one ASAP, as yours could go out completely at any time and leave you stranded.

There's no rhyme or reason as to when they go out. Doesn't seem to matter age or mileage.

Old 03-20-2006, 07:12 PM
Ed Willmott
Senior User
Yep - I second jtharvey. Classic CPS failure symptoms.

Welcome to FTE, I hope the testosterone doesn't overwhelm you! Stick around and you will find this is a friendly place. (And the Admin will come down hard on anyone who doesn't treat you right.)

Change your cps and stalling will dissappear!

Quick Reply: Government catches on to CPS problem