General Automotive Discussion

out of bussiness?!??!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 08:07 PM
bronocIInoob
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
out of bussiness?!??!

been hereing some talk that ford may be going out of bussiness due to that union, or somthing like that in a few years if things dont change....i think it would suck if they did. They already had to close down alot of factorys already. What is going on!

Last edited by Beast12; 02-23-2006 at 06:28 AM. Reason: removed hell
Old 02-22-2006, 08:28 PM
Snake1979
Elder User
I honestly don't forsee Ford or GM going out of buisness. Now Bankruptcy, thats another thing. Ford is doing some good turn around, and generating some buzz. GM is still putting all of their money in SUV's and I hope they change that, or they would be first. The Government isn't going to let two of Americas top name brand companies go under, look at all the bail out of the Airline industry.

The union, I've posted threads on that, and its been considered political, so I'll keep my opinions to myself.

Old 02-22-2006, 10:48 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Neither, will Toyota or Nissan. There would be a real back-lash against them. Isn't Ford still the leading EXPORTER of cars in the United States. Ford Europe isn't in trouble, Ford is very strong in the World Rally curcuit.

Old 02-22-2006, 11:31 PM
rhw
More Turbo
"Neither, will Toyota or Nissan. There would be a real back-lash against them. Isn't Ford still the leading EXPORTER of cars in the United States. Ford Europe isn't in trouble, Ford is very strong in the World Rally curcuit."

I read that in a Time mag artical too.I guess Ford's doing better over seas than back at home here.... odd world we live in these days... Artical said new CEO William Ford (great great grandson) is trying to steer the company back to a more "pioneering" type strategy - trying to come up with more exciting inovations and ideas with an eye on the enviroment. Who knows what we might be driving/flying in the next ten years! Blue Oval corn-cob powered hydro-jet plane hover car thingyma-jiggy

Old 02-23-2006, 12:39 PM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
With the human body and a corporation, if you hemorrhage too much you die. Ford is bleeding off its cash and a time will come when Chapter 11 is put on the table.
On May 12, 2005, Bill Ford, Jr. informed shareholders that he will accept no cash compensation until Ford Motor Company’s automotive business is profitable on a sustainable basis. He did not mention that he holds over 8.5 million shares and still collects a 40 cent dividend per share - you do the math.
A quick search reveals the following points as of fiscal year-end December 31, 2004:

On an "as-given" basis, Ford Motor’s automotive operations had a deficit working capital position of $10.3 billion.
Ford had 35 cents of cash and marketable securities for every dollar of current liabilities.
Ford’s total liabilities amounted to a staggering $175.8 billion.
With a tangible equity position of about $8.8 billion, Ford Motor Company’s total liabilities to equity ratio stood at 20 to 1 (3 to 1 is considered risky).

Chapter 11 may be the only viable ticket back to profitability.
Dono

Old 02-23-2006, 03:51 PM
bronocIInoob
Senior User
It would be a shame to see first mass production car company go under... altough now if you own an old ford it would be worth alot more sence the company wouldnt be around anymore, sorta like edzel. I would rather them still be around though. I dont like imports.

Old 02-24-2006, 10:00 AM
ggarrahan
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bronocIInoob- The first mass production car company already went out of business-Oldsmobile. The Curved Dash Olds was the first mass produced car in the United States, not the Model T Ford.

Old 02-24-2006, 11:38 AM
Casey
Posting Guru
Studebaker was a mass production company. So was Packard. And so were so many others that are not around today.

Ford is actually in a very good position with earnings, debt, and cash on hand. The only thing that isn't doing well is selling cars and trucks in North America. Ford is making a lot of money on financing in North America, and on selling cars and trucks everywhere else. The company made a profit of $2BILLION in 2005. That isn't a number that tends to drive a company out of business.

Old 02-24-2006, 12:12 PM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Casey
Studebaker was a mass production company. So was Packard. And so were so many others that are not around today.

Ford is actually in a very good position with earnings, debt, and cash on hand. The only thing that isn't doing well is selling cars and trucks in North America. Ford is making a lot of money on financing in North America, and on selling cars and trucks everywhere else. The company made a profit of $2BILLION in 2005. That isn't a number that tends to drive a company out of business.
Perhaps I erred regarding Bill Ford's compensation. I had read one place where he received .40 a share and now I read that he receives no stock income. As for Ford's "very good position", read this: http://www2.standardandpoors.com/ser...6356399042&b=5

Dono

Old 02-24-2006, 12:21 PM
Exploder02
Senior User
I agree that Ford is not likely to go out of business as a whole... but they definitely need to step up to the plate, and make a product that appeals more to the general North American public (I like their trucks, but the quality has been found wanting.. but to be fair, I know other makers, including the "invincible" japanese brands, are having quality issues too). The Ford Focus is a good step in the right direction, but their reputation (online, especially) has been hurt by very poor first-year quality--brakes that sieze up, etc--As much as I like the grand old cars like the Crown Vic (I'd drive one if I had one tomorrow, and I'm not that old, only 29), they need to come out with more "hip" products.. build more medium size and compact cars, improve the Ranger, maybe make it a mid-size pickup.. There is hope for a turnaround.. fire anyone (and I mean ANYONE, union employees, Upper Management, Vendors, etc.) that has a lackadaisical attitude toward quality and innovation (I own a small business, and I practice what I preach.. though it is easier when you're smaller, less involvment of politicians and red tape, etc).. Then they can become great again.

The good news is that they are doing well everywhere else, and their Financial services Arm is doing quite well (despite what S&P and the rest of "them" have been saying for a while)..

Just my .02!

Last edited by Exploder02; 02-24-2006 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:24 PM
rbohm
Senior User
this is not a new postition ford ford motor company. there have been a number of times over the years where ford's outlook was bleak, and yet ford has remained in business over the years. in 1948 ford needed a miracle to stay in business, and that miracle came in 1949, the car that saved the company. in 1958 ford needed another another car to improve its situation, we got the falcon in 1959(as a 60 model). in the 70's the fairmont brightened ford's financial picture, as did the taurus in 1986. ford will weather this crisis as well. ford is doing well overseas, and the premium brands are doing reasonably well also.

general motors will also weather this crisis, but they may end up downsizing again, likely with pontiac getting the axe this time, which will be too bad. gm needs new top management who will bring the company back to a position of strength by making the company build cars that people want to buy again. they need someone like harley earl.

Old 02-24-2006, 04:33 PM
taisa899
Posting Guru
we've all heard talk like this before about one of the Big Three. Remember Chrysler in the 80's and the car that saved them! The mighty K-Car!! And it was an ex-Ford man that saved them Lee Iococa the "father" of the mustang!

Jim