Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Idea for Automatic Garage Door Opener.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2002, 06:07 PM
Cowboy_351
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 11-24-2002, 12:14 PM
76supercab
Senior User

I've had this idea I wanted to put out there. Basically all the garage door's I've seen require a 110VAC outlet to plug into. My idea was to run the power for this outlet through a light switch mounted next to the door entering the garage from the house. Then if I needed to I could cut the power to the doors easily. IE if I needed to work on the door and wanted to safety them by cutting power the switch would be there. Also if I wanted to 'lock' the garage door at night after everyone was home just throw the switch. Any feedback.

Old 11-24-2002, 04:14 PM
haroutd
Posting Guru
Location: I'm lost somewhere in NJ -- can someone please find me?!?!?!?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A little overkill, but nothing inherintly wrong with it. The theory behind your idea is sound; just make sure you don't confuse it with your light switch. Also check to see if your opener loses the codes for the remotes if the power is off for extended periods of time (not sure, but I think you may be safe -- does anyone know for sure?).

Old 11-24-2002, 04:37 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

If the codes for the opener are set with a row of little switches they will not go away. Even some units that use a programming pad will not lose the codes since they are stored in non volatile memory.

My opener was plugged into the socket where my garage light was so there already was a switch. I did add a pull chain switch for the opener lights so I could turn them on independent of the opener. I have seen openers with this function built in also.

The pull chain switch has a plastic egg fastened on the line. The egg serves as a gage for how far to pull in. My wife's car is in far enough to close the door when the egg touches the windshield.

Thanks for using FTE!

[font color=red]As a Moderator I do not "Subscribe" to most topics,
please send email/pm if you need a reply -Thanks![/font]

-

Old 11-25-2002, 05:23 AM
christop43
Posting Guru

Just a little FYI-
If your truck is ever broken into change your garage code. I read that people were breaking into vehicles, taking nothing but opening the garage door opener inside the vehicle and writing down the code. Then they would put the opener back together and leave it in the vehicle. Since your registration, insurance cards, etc. has your address the know where you live. So now all they have to do is program the code into their garage door opener and they can get into your house that way. Crooks sure can be slick!

Old 12-09-2002, 04:12 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend

I don't leave my opener in my vehicle when I get it serviced either for the same reasons posted above.

Thanks for using FTE!

-

Old 12-11-2002, 04:33 PM
IronSled
Junior User

I recently bought a house with the door opener wired through a switch.... besides being able to disable the door for security reasons, it serves as great form of entertainment for you kids who find it pretty funny to turn it off every time you leave and lock you out. Mine seem to love it

Old 12-12-2002, 10:26 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend

That's why you should wire the children's rooms with a breaker for their outlets separately from everything else... So you can accidently turn it off:-)

"But kids, -something must have blown, Turn off all your electronic gear, I will check it out when I get a chance. Your lights still work, -so get back to your homework!" -Hehe

Turnabout is fair play and I always had a couple dozen more tricks than they did.

I am a mean, disgustingly tricky father, that's why my Kids call me "Ogre" :-)

Thanks for using FTE!

-

Old 01-10-2003, 11:05 PM
wolfmanagh
Posting Guru

To add to above. I heard of kids that will go into a parking garage at apartment buildings when a car leaves. They will go trough looking for open cars. grab anything they can and grab the remote. Not only grab the remote for getting out but for getting back in later.