1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Door Locks FIXED!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 04:20 PM
MatzWestman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My post was moved to another forum as it deals with other issues, but I do have a question which relates directly to the $0.01 fix of the door actuator. I did it and all was fine, then I went back the next day to adjust the window rail,inside the door. After that the truck wont start. It's a 1999 F150, XL, 5.4.

Has anyone experienced electrical issues after performing this fix?
Trying to find out if this fix could cause this issue, or if I can rule it out as a cause for the engine not turning over after the fix.

Thanks

Old 06-10-2016, 04:32 PM
skoto1
Senior User
2002 f150 3800# axles I have no door locks. I can hear something behind the fuse panel click when I depress the lock and unlock button and when I hit my remote my horn will even sound to tell me they are locked . but there is no power getting to my door lock actuators?

Old 06-23-2016, 01:18 AM
Daniel Garman
New User
Originally Posted by kalsc
K, I have to say, I am a much happier dude right now. I can't remember where I found the info, been searching on here so I could reply, but gave up.

Long story short, there is a posting in here somewhere stating how one guy fixed his actuators. I didn't want to spend $100 CDN each or buy some cheap crap off Ebay that wasn't specific to my truck, so I went through the steps this guy posted and man, am I impressed!!!!!!

To whom ever that was that posted about how to fix the actuators by getting at the little motors and replacing the thermal resistor, THANK YOU!!!!!! This was the best fix with NO COST I have ever done. Best part is that now the gear box (actuator housing) is now servicable. LOVE IT!!!!!

Cheers man!
:-)

PS - I can post that information on here if anyone else is interested, I just want to make sure no one thinks this was my idea, I most certainly do not want to take credit for this.
Think it will work with my locks? I know your initial response is yes as it has worked for everyone in the forum. My issue is that my passenger side will pop up when I hit the unlock but I have to push it back down. It won't pull it down. Lately I can't say it's even moved up.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:00 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dexy Fox
Hi there!

SNIP THE SPAMMER
We're talking apples and oranges here. No relevancy to the fix.
Glad to hear you found a good locksmith and want to throw his name out there.

Last edited by krewat; 08-10-2016 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Edited to remove spam link.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:31 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by r2millers
We're talking apples and oranges here. No relevancy to the fix.
Glad to hear you found a good locksmith and want to throw his name out there.
I think he's a spammer.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:26 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Pitcrw6
I think he's a spammer.
Gee, with his post count of ONE, one might think so.

I see that admins have deleted his post, but R2's quote will give the others an idea of what it read.

Good job, admins!

Bye-bye, Dexy Fox....

Pop

Old 01-01-2019, 05:50 PM
Richard S
Posting Guru
This should show the actual repair of the actuator ```

Old 11-07-2020, 07:43 AM
Heidrich1969
New User
Originally Posted by ssjrsw
Even if this leads to problems it does not matter. The only other way to fix it is buy a new one. So I fix mine save the money now, if it does burn out later then I will buy another. If it works OK I am ahead of the game.

This is just a bad design by Ford, and the only thing we can hurt in the fix is a badly designed part. I do not see any other issue outside of this part since there is a fuse. How can it hurt any other part?

I do not know if anyone else has seen this but my doors now look and unlock opposite of what the control says. This may however be something that was done before (not me) to fix them. I need to trace the wires to find the problem, just need the time.

2013 super duty. This has been an issue for a few years. I found that mine was so bad that it melted the wire feeding the controls. I replaced the wire only to find that today it melted again. I will just by new actuators as this has affected the windows also.. once i take it all apart i will be able to see what all got damaged. The part that sucks is my front seats need to come out as the feed goes across the floor to drivers side. I also noticed the wiring is made of a smaller guage. Think they wanted to save money by putting 4 less strands of copper in each wire. They can't handle the load especially when there is a slight amount of resistance that builds up over time on these components.

Old 12-23-2021, 07:44 AM
Msnborosurfr
New User
Originally Posted by Richard S
This should show the actual repair of the actuator ```

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwBDU3IapE8
1999 f550 4WD CC 260K miles

Just bought this truck

Power door locks wouldn't move. Found this site and read about the PDL actuator fix.

Tried the fix posted by some great people on this site. The motor in the actuator has some real juice now thanks to everyone and their mods on the actuator fix.

However, when I reinstall my door, there is a really tight fit between the plastic door and the manual lock and unlock tab.

Has anyone had issues with this being too tight for the motor to overcome.

I have taken apart the door and put it back together three times now, motor in actuator is doing great with the aluminum foil hack. With the plastic door trim off, I can get it to lock and unlock just fine. Just can't get the tab to fit through the door trim without it being too tight, basically nullifies the fix on the actuator when I put the door trim on.

Any recs on how to fix this? Anyone with similar issues.
‐‐---------------
update:

Removed and replaced door trim about 10 more times, used a dremel to widen opening for the manual door lock. That finally worked

Last edited by Msnborosurfr; 12-23-2021 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Problem fixed
Old 01-09-2022, 12:58 PM
Árni
New User
Greetings! So before delving into DYI fix of the actuators which I suspect is the problem that I face but not at all certain I was wondering whether y'all have encountered this: my power locks seem to be working, that is they lock the doors, however, when using my remote to lock the doors and set the alarm I walk away from my truck maybe 30 yards the alarm goes off.

Has anyone encountered this? And if so is it a problem with my actuators or am I totally off?

All and any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Old 07-15-2022, 08:28 AM
angrywhiteguy
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Árni
Greetings! So before delving into DYI fix of the actuators which I suspect is the problem that I face but not at all certain I was wondering whether y'all have encountered this: my power locks seem to be working, that is they lock the doors, however, when using my remote to lock the doors and set the alarm I walk away from my truck maybe 30 yards the alarm goes off.

Has anyone encountered this? And if so is it a problem with my actuators or am I totally off?

All and any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
I would suspect an issue with an aftermarket lock/remote starter possibly?