General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Tipping.....just get rid of it

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 09:10 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jake00
Did you tell your real estate agent to get another job, how about your car salesmen? or did you pay them thier commisions?
yes they were paid thier commisions but they weren't expecting a tip to make thier wages. So based on what your saying then when I buy a new car I should be paying the salesman a 15% tip on the new $35,000 vehicle I buy thus increasing hte cost to $40250, I don't think so the salesmans percentage is figured in and if I had to tip him for his wages all it's gonna do is mean that the car dealer can then pocket that commission.

Old 01-01-2006, 09:17 PM
BigDog460
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i get tipped at my job doing grocery home delivery. i dont expect it or ever ask for it but some of the customers tip me regardless. ive been tipped anywhere from a can of soda to $10, and when ever i do get tipped i always look at it like its a dollar more than i had this morning

Old 01-01-2006, 09:24 PM
TXPSD
Senior User

NO, NO, NO that is NOT what he is saying. He is saying that is how the system works. It is not as simple as getting another job. If tips were built in to the menu price you would be paying a hell of a lot more. This is how the system works in restaurants in the US. If you don't like it, then stick with McDonalds. The waitstaff doesn't make the rules they just follow them. And those that don't tip at places where appropriate, I agree there are some places that aren't appropriate (starbucks), are either ignorant or cheap. That's what is plain and simple.

Last edited by TXPSD; 01-01-2006 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:33 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
but they weren't expecting a tip to make thier wages
but they were expecting thier commision, or did you ask for it back?

Thanks TX

Old 01-01-2006, 09:42 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Quote:
If the pay isn't good enough.. find another job plain and simple.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I love this reply.

Q: Someone has to work that job.

What I do to make sure the person who deserves gets it, I hand it to them in cash and tell them to stuff it in a pocket somehere and don't tell anyone they got it.

I started doing this when I found out some places make the serving staff POOL their tips and that can lead to people who don't deserve a tip... to get one.

When I delivered pizza back in 1971/72 it was common for me to get between $40/60 a night in tips.
That was from 4:00pm to 2:00 am on any night of the week.
They appreciated that I knew how to get to their place the quickest without driving like an idiot and getting their pizza to them HOT.

Tonight Michelle & I went out for dinner.

Our Meal $46.00 with above average service..... waitress/new owner got a$10.00 gratuity.

Old 01-01-2006, 09:42 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

You guys are totally misunderstanding what I am saying or your ignoring it which is worse, I don't hve a problem with someone giving me good service getting a tip but what I do have a problem with is the owner of the restaraunt or whatever that is making most of the money and usually doing the least amount of the work using my gratuity to a waitress as a way of padding thier pockets by not even paying min wage, and expecting the tips to cover it. doing that the tip isn't really going to the waitress anyway you are basically paying the owner for the meal and paying extra to cover his expenses of serving you that meal

Edit To me this would be the same as say paying motorhaven or anyone else like summit etc for the shipping costs then have the shipping company deliver the item and expect you to pay for the shipping costs. The price of your meal should cover the costs of the food, the overhead of hte building, and the wages at atleast minimum wage to cook it and serve it to you, and a tip should be an extra to the waitress, and not part of thier wages.

Last edited by monsterbaby; 01-01-2006 at 09:45 PM.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:43 PM
ericsmith32
Elder User
If someone knows the stats of how much restuarants by raw materials for versus how much they sell the finished product for please post. Where does all that profit go? "This is how this system works in the restaurants in the US." Exactly just like in america everyone wants free money. I've had friends that worked as waiters and made better than me without the tips, and the food is no higher than anywhere else. Does anyone see a problem with this. Say a $6 plate - exactly the same- at two restaurants, one waiter make 3* something as many has said, and the other makes $10 hmmm.

Old 01-01-2006, 09:55 PM
TXPSD
Senior User

No, we are not misunderstanding you, you are misunderstanding us and the system. The owner does not take the tips, it is customary to for waitstaff to "tip out" to the bar that gets their drink orders and to the kitchen for preparing the food. The majority of the tip goes to the waiter/waitress. The price of the meal does not cover everything at restaurants. Oh, and Ericsmith32, please tell me what restaurant is paying $10.00 an hour. It is not about "free money", these people work hard and deserve to be tipped well if they provide good service. You don't have to like it just know that this is how it is. It's not like anyone walks in to a reataurant and are surprised to find that a tip is customary, you know before you walk in the door.

Old 01-01-2006, 09:56 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Originally Posted by jake00
but they were expecting thier commision, or did you ask for it back?

Thanks TX
Gee so does that mean that when you go to a dealer you just pay whatever the sticker price is on the vehicle? no matter what? Or when you buy a house do you just pay the asking price, or do you try and offer a lower amount? guess what whenever you do that you are reducing the salesmans commission, and some places will actually reduce the commision by the amount that the vehicle sells below the sticker price, so the dealer still gets his entire profit margin but the salesman gets the shaft which is the same as a restaraunt owner not paying a decent wage and then expecting the tips to cover the rest.

nope TX you are not getting it at all.

Last edited by monsterbaby; 01-01-2006 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:00 PM
TXPSD
Senior User

You're comparing apples and oranges and in my opinion you are flat out wrong. I suggest we keep this civilized and agree to disagree.

Old 01-01-2006, 10:01 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Originally Posted by monsterbaby
You guys are totally misunderstanding what I am saying ........................by not even paying min wage, and expecting the tips to cover it..

AFAIK its illegal to pay less than min. wage, and for a server that $$ Amount is less than for the rest of the jobs.

I also know 2 resturant owners and a few managers, None of them require the servers to give them any money, but they do prefer if they gave the busboy a kickback.

I understand the shipping Anelogy, but on the same hand,
The price of your meal should cover the costs of the food, the overhead of hte building, and the wages at atleast minimum wage to cook it and serve it to you
It does, say I am a server, I make $.33 an hr 40hr week, thats 93.20$ Those tips sure are nice

or I'm a real estate agent, I get 6.50 an hr. 40hr week 260.00 per week, but hey, a 3% commission on a 250k house is nice

Or TAke my best freind for example, While home on break, he's a limo driver, He gets 22% of every dollar he brings in a fare from the airport to most suburbs is 50 bucks. Usual trave time round trip from airport and back is 1.5 hrs Tips ALMOST make that job worthwile

Old 01-01-2006, 10:11 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Jake I totally agree tips are very nice, my wife, and mother in law both work in food service, and I used to work in food service myself and tips were always very nice but reducing wages for a group because they get tips is what I am claiming is wrong that tip is supposed to be an extra from me to the person for good service, and not part of thier wages, which is what I am complaining about because as the system is currently setup all you tips are doing most of the time is reducing the restaraunt owners overhead, and has to be figured into thier wages instead of bieng an extra.
maybe another example will help, say a car dealer made you pay a tip to the mechanic so they could reduce the wages of the mechanic, and thus keep more of the $60/hr shop rate for themselves, would you think this was great? I doubt it, cause now you are paying the $60/hr plus another say $9/hr to the mechanic as a tip and since that is above min wage they don't have to pay him his wage for the time spent on your vehicle and they can keep the entire $60/hr for themselves without breaking any labor laws. see it only works this way in food service type of jobs and is totally wrong.

Old 01-01-2006, 10:12 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
ahh, gottcha only took 4 pages

Old 01-01-2006, 10:16 PM
TXPSD
Senior User

I understand what you are saying man, and on that point I agree. I'm just trying to point out that this system, as flawed as it is, is not going to change any time soon and that the waitstaff rely on tips to make a living wage. There have been a number of people, not you, who have stated they do not believe in tipping and that these people should just get another job. That is unrealistic, that's what's got my ire up, not you.

Old 01-01-2006, 10:18 PM
OSin86
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Mil1ion
Quote:
If the pay isn't good enough.. find another job plain and simple.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I love this reply.
So do I
Everyone has to start somewhere, I started out at less then a buck an hour doing farm work. You know what I did when I realized that it wasn't the best deal out there? I moved on and up. At that time better was bussing tables. Several steps later I was a union operator, Local 150. I own my own business now. I know my path isn't for everyone but when you have a crumby job you do need to move on. I get sick and tired of people who cry about their lives when they're capable of changing it. I still say driving to my house isn't worth more then $4 and if your boss is charging that much for you to come, don't expect anything else from me when you get here. To the guy that thinks driving is harder then serving --> LMAO! You only have to deal with the customer for 1 min, the server has to deal with the customer from start to finish of the meal. There's a lot more chances to screw up, they do a lot more work and you don't solve all porblems by just buy running to the kitchen. I think there was a life lesson in this post somewhere.

Quick Reply: Tipping.....just get rid of it