General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

fireplaces

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 05:13 PM
lenny1carl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
we upstate ny ppl hate you, last winter we had several days below 0* i heat w/propane, 900 bucks last yr. cant cut a tree up here w/out apa (adirondack park agency) approval. if that doesnt suck nothing does. hell we had 39.5 * this am. it's too frigging cold here

Old 09-30-2005, 05:24 PM
MRKnight
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I [briefly] remember my time in upstate NY - COLD!

Old 09-30-2005, 05:33 PM
lenny1carl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
thanks for remembering that. that'll keep us warm this winter lol

Old 10-02-2005, 07:41 AM
LilDuke
Elder User
Originally Posted by Torque1st
Which one of those units do you have and how much were they? They look like they could get to big bucks.
Sorry, been so busy installing these funaces I haven't had a chance to come and visit my favorite site!

I have the CL 4436. It replaces up to 250 gallons of fuel oil a month. Has a maximum btu output of 250,000. The unit at cost to me with underground pipe(special pex surrounded by expanding foam and encased in black plastic. The pipes are fed/suspended in a machine that adds the foam and casing while making sure that the 2 pipes stay suspended and don't twist or move twards the outside. And you only use half a degree per 100 feet!)was 4900.00
However, I used 600-700 gallons of propane last winter to heat my home, so at current prices, I will have paid for it in 3 heating seasons. Even if I had to buy 2 cords of wood a year @ 300.00 I still will make out like a bandit. The pipe itself sells for 11.00 a foot. You can also get a "put together yourself" kit that uses 8 foot sections of 6" foam that you slide over the 1" pex and then encase the entire line with a poly bag. That sells for around 5.00 a foot. I have a slide ruler that if you give me how much/what type of fuel you used last winter, I can tell you which unit you need. You can also run multi zones off of it indipendently, I.E. you house and detached garage. These units can be installed in any existing heating application. Radiant floor heat, basebard hotwater, forced air, ect. If you had electric baseboard heat though, You would have to install either hydronic or forced air heat using existing a.c. duct work. The next unit up is cl 5648 which is the most commonly sold unit for residential. This unit replaces up to 500 gallons of fuel oil a month. Typical refuel times are every one to three days depending on unit size to structure.

If you decide that this is an option you are considering, Central Boiler is offering a finance package that includes one year no interest. However, This is the busy season to sell and install these furnaces so expect a delay to have installed. Here in central PA, we have 22 units on backorder with a 2-3 week delivery and 12 more just ordered with a 5-6 week delivery ETA.

Yes, I sell and install these units. Yes I am biased. The contractor(one man buissness) that I sub for got into this dealership because he wanted one of these units for his own home, and after doing extensive research on them, found that Central had the best built and most efficent units. After contacting the area dealer and finding out that he only sells units, and does not install them. And that he would not give clear instructions to install and sell unneccisary parts(like heat exchangers to an existing hot water furnace.) he saw an oppertunity to expand his buisness. They told him to only expect to sell 6 units his first year. He sold that his fist quarter. He has since sold 50+ with more each week. No advertising, people literally follow him down the road to the jobsite to find out about these.

I would ask anyone here to find a better built product. Don't talk to salesmen, talk to the people who allready own these products. Look at the construction and ease of use. Look at the reliability and efficency.

Last edited by LilDuke; 10-02-2005 at 07:46 AM.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:02 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've been looking into inserts. damn these things are expensive

Old 10-03-2005, 11:57 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
LilDuke- Thanks for the info. It is always great to hear about someone that took advantage of an opportunity that came knocking and is prospering!

I have a forced draft 82% hanging gas heater for my garage as well as a fairly new very good 92% gas forced air furnace. I have a feeling I will be using my fireplace a bit this winter. I imagine even the cost of wood will go up this year tho. I do have two huge silver maples and an elm that need to be cut down. The silver maple burns fast but for the price...

Last edited by Torque1st; 10-04-2005 at 12:02 AM.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:23 AM
MRKnight
Elder User
I have an 80 foot tall double trunked back oak not 10" from 1 side of my house that will need to come down next year. That's got to be a couple cords of wood, enough to keep me off of central heating for at least 3 more years. I LOVE wood stoves

Old 10-04-2005, 12:32 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I lucked out. We're clearing 3+ acres for an industrial park. There aren't a lot of trees on it, but a fair number. Mostly cottonwood and willow. I've been cutting them down and bucking them up on and off for a year and a half, and the boss lets me take the wood home to burn. It's not the greatest stuff, but it works. So, I get paid to cut my own firewood! It got me through last winter, didn't have to buy any and it should get me through most of this one as well.

Old 10-04-2005, 09:29 AM
tjay460
Senior User
The high temp was 40*F here in MT yesterday. I ran the wood stove. I love that feeling of being warm and keeping the hogs out of my pocket! Now I just need a wind turbine so that they can pay me!!

Last edited by tjay460; 10-04-2005 at 09:30 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-04-2005, 04:26 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
I just bought a wood stove, but, if I had a chimney that needed major repairs (over $500), I think I would buy a very nice stove, run double wall pipe up it, and close the chimney off top and bottom with sheet metal.