Off-Road Diesel Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 03:05 PM
Douglas DC-9
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Off-Road Diesel Fuel

Here in Wisconsin (and I'd assume the rest of the USA) has a type of fuel called "Off-Road Diesel." It is basically red-colored diesel fuel that is free of road tax. It's ment to be burned in construction equipment, tractors and vehicles that do NOT travel on public roadways. I hear that they die it red so that mechanics can tell if it's been run through a vehicle on the road, the red stains the fuel filter? If found red, the owner of the vehicle is to be reported to police? I'm just wondering if that's true or is that b/s? I'm also wondering what could happen to someone who burns it in an on-road vehicle? Is this "system" of dying fuel really effective, or can evidence of it be eraced?

Thanks,
DC-9

Old 07-11-2005, 03:16 PM
joegebff
Gone Fishin for Mark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dont know about there, but here in TEXAS, they often check the tanks at places where large numbers of diesel vehicles tend to gather. Places like auctions or rodeos or even some fairs. If caught you get into big trouble. Tax evasion type charges.
Also...Ford says don't use it. I think it lacks some needed additives and may also be higher in sulphur. I think my tractors do better on street fuel, but not better enough to offset the price difference.

Old 07-11-2005, 03:40 PM
Medic 66
Posting Guru
Here in Ohio it is $500.00 per gallon of off-road if caught with it......NEVER DONE IT MYSELF.....but others have tried....and failed and paid big!

Old 07-11-2005, 03:42 PM
LONEPINERON
Senior User
Red Dye

It's exactly same fuel only they throw a can of red dye in it. The guy where I get my fuel has both and says it comes out of same tank. As for getting caught he said the IRS comes by 3 or 4 times a year and goes through his files and randomly pulls the names, they go out to your house stick your tank with a straw and if it comes up red it's your ***. First offence is $5000. Asked if he would run it in his personal truck he said yea if he was going on a long trip. It takes about 3 tanks to clear it out of tank. Filter is another story though.
A buddy of mine uses his truck to help move cows for a local rancher and when he went to change his filter a year later it was still stained red. Boy was he pissed he had told them no red dye in his truck.
You could prob get away with it if you pay cash and put it in a barrel or 5 gal cans at the station then dump at your house. Only time you could get caught is if you have an accident and spill fuel.
My self I don't think it's worth the risk.
Another guy I know isn't a real brain trust and he just pulls up to the pump and fills up and puts it on his card. Only a matter of time before he gets caught. But he has been doing it for atleast 5 years that I know of.

Last edited by LONEPINERON; 07-11-2005 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:08 PM
Max1775
Elder User
I've seen them check trucks at random at rodeos, construction sites, and even once at a big feed store. I've been tempted, but never wanted to get caught. It'd be about my luck...

Max

Old 07-11-2005, 06:24 PM
vancouverpower
Elder User
Originally Posted by Max1775
I've seen them check trucks at random at rodeos, construction sites, and even once at a big feed store. I've been tempted, but never wanted to get caught. It'd be about my luck...

Max
They can really do this?!?!?!? When you say they check "trucks" are you guys talking about our daily driver pick-up's or big rigs? I can see them checking a semi at a truck stop, but I would think they are stepping over the line to check my personal tank.

Old 07-11-2005, 06:36 PM
LONEPINERON
Senior User
Red Dye

You would think they need a warrant or something. I guess they ask your permission and if you don't give it they just get a warrant and do it. You got to remember this is the IRS and they do as they feel.

Old 07-11-2005, 06:38 PM
barebackjake
Postmaster
i got checked last weekend at a rodeo in california. you can refuse but then they will detain you till they get a search warrant. its the same exact fuel, definately not worth the risk, and yes it does stain fuel filters. a shop could turn you in but i dont think they would waste there time doing it and then its tampered evidence too.

Old 07-11-2005, 06:39 PM
bspeake
Freshman User
Originally Posted by joegebff
Dont know about there, but here in TEXAS, they often check the tanks at places where large numbers of diesel vehicles tend to gather. Places like auctions or rodeos or even some fairs. If caught you get into big trouble. Tax evasion type charges.
Also...Ford says don't use it. I think it lacks some needed additives and may also be higher in sulphur. I think my tractors do better on street fuel, but not better enough to offset the price difference.
What is the price difference?

Old 07-11-2005, 06:49 PM
bridgeman
Senior User
I was on my way down the mountain yesterday w/ boat in tow and could not believe they pulled me over to check my tanks with the 18 wheelers...no problems but it was fun to give them a hard time, like 2.59 a gal is not enough. The least they can do is hire some good lookin' babe to do it instead of the crabby fat cow with the bleach job and tammy baker make-up ugh! scarey!

Old 07-11-2005, 06:52 PM
Steve_250
Posting Guru
Isn't there some way that it is allowed if you run Farm or Ag tags?
I know the tax is Federal and tags are state, but.....

Hmm, I wonder if ya can drop in some of that good old Oxi-Clean to get rid of the red in the fuel?

Old 07-11-2005, 07:49 PM
RedTaurus94
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve_250
Hmm, I wonder if ya can drop in some of that good old Oxi-Clean to get rid of the red in the fuel?
DANG, dude!!!! You just might be onto something here. I think further research might be in order.........

Old 07-11-2005, 08:01 PM
Turbo_Whistler
Senior User
What would happen if you had a mixed tank, meaning you filled it half way up with off road, and half way with regular on road diesel. Would the two mix together fine? and i wonder if it would still stain your filter as much??? I have a buddy who works construction on the road and has ran off road diesel in his 03 6.0 for the past 10 months and has never had any problems with the truck or the law, yet anyway.

Old 07-11-2005, 08:18 PM
lukecline
Posting Guru
Angry

I cant believe that people can be that big of a tight a$$. If ya cant afford to buy the fuel, better get a vehicle that you can afford fuel for. IMO its a pretty simple concept.

ive been pulled over numerous times while driving down the road and had my tanks dipped. Of course when they do this, the dot officer checks anything and everything else which ends up wasting 1/2 hr or more.

luke

Old 07-11-2005, 09:03 PM
vancouverpower
Elder User
[QUOTE=lukecline ive been pulled over numerous times while driving down the road and had my tanks dipped. Of course when they do this, the dot officer checks anything and everything else which ends up wasting 1/2 hr or more.luke[/QUOTE]

What were the circumstances? Was the truck loaded heavy/speeding? Or did they just decided to dip the tanks cause it is a oiler?

Quick Reply: Off-Road Diesel Fuel