General Automotive Discussion

Gas Price, When To Say ---- You Im Not Payin

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 01:18 AM
parks911
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Schmids4.9l
also its not like a cop, sheriff, or a state boy is gonna check your fuel tanks to see if your diesel is red or not.
Trust me, They'll check.

Old 04-10-2005, 08:53 AM
bigblu250
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i plan on getting a diesel and buying the farm fuel died stuff. i guess theres no or a lesser tax on it, and i could care less if its illegal to use it in trucks, it keeps more money in my pocket. also its not like a cop, sheriff, or a state boy is gonna check your fuel tanks to see if your diesel is red or not.

15 bucks for 6.7 gallons is killer. im only giving my truck enough throttle to shift at 1500 rpms. i've been driving like average grandparents lately. ill prolly end up leaving my tailgate down, even though i guess it doesnt really help to much. no overdrive also kinda kills hi-way driving.

Trust me man...they'll check. A few months ago the "authorities" were cracking down on this and busted quite a few people around here. BIG, BIG fines if you get caught......

Old 04-10-2005, 10:05 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
bigblu is definatly right, this is actually an IRS issue (using farm deisel is actually tax evasion), I know that here in Iowa they will actually have an IRS agent riding around with a state trooper, or a DOT officer, and pulling over every deisel truck, I got pulled over by a DOT officer once in my dually when I was pulling a stock trailer, and when they wanted to check my fuel I almost fell out of the cab laughing when the IRS agent asked me what was so funny, um did you listen to the truck when I passed you? It runs on gas.
But they did bust several locals with deisel pickups, first offense $1000, then caught a couple of them again (one got off due to the fact the truck had like 15miles on it in the intervening month, and could burn the fuel out completly) but second offense $10,000, and I believe that also carried as much as a year in jail to if they wanted to, I don't know what a third offense would be but it ain't gonna be pretty, and with fuel prices bieng what they are you know the IRS is gonna figure more people are gonna start cheating, and then they are gonna start checkin cause they want thier money.

Old 04-10-2005, 10:14 AM
boise49ers
New User
[QUOTE=shortyforty]I just did a quick calculation. On a 12 mile stretch of road that I drive to work every day there are 9 Dunkin' Donut coffee shops. Thats one shop every 1.5 miles. The people don't appear to be complaining to pay what calculates out to be $18.00 per gallon for their coffee.[/QUOTEyeah bit I don't think there drinking a few gallons of coffee a day. Man could you imagine.
I paid 2.28 a gallon in Boise yesterday.

Old 04-10-2005, 10:16 AM
thorman
Senior User
yea,when i started chewin in 82 cope was 25 cents a can now its 5 dollars and 75 cents a can.i dont think wages have gone up enough to cover the high tax items like this or gas

Old 04-10-2005, 11:59 AM
mlb4966
Posting Guru

Pretty crazy the increase. Heck I go through 400+ of diesel a month for the truck and boiler. At 2.10 & 2.70 it dosnt get cheap. Wish my paycheck would increse in comparision to the cost of goods but that wont happen. I feel for the truckers, espically the independant one's, they gota be taking a beating on their overhead. I honestly expect to see fuel above $3.00 up here. Already $2.70 for diesel and the same for super unleaded. Bummer but hopefully it wont hurt the tourism up here to much.
Kinda a double edge sword for us. We all hate to pay high gas prices but the more money per barrel the better our State economy is. Of course that will just give them justification to spend (and waste) more money.
Might have to change my avitar, people might start to send me hate mail. PS I dont work for the pipeline.

Last edited by mlb4966; 04-10-2005 at 12:01 PM. Reason: additional comment
Old 04-10-2005, 12:17 PM
boise49ers
New User
Originally Posted by Jerry Gougeon
Dono: of all the posts here you seem to have a realistic and accurate view on fuel consumption and the relationship wellhead price and lifting costs have at the pumps immediately .

Anyone that really wants to know the facts and realities of world oil prices and usage should read a book called " OPEC" .

A recent study here demanded by the public of our Gov. determined with the COLA and relative average wage increases over the past 10 years puts our gas prices right now at less than they were in 1983.

Anyone that feels boycotting the oil companies that import product would serve a purpose will find they will have to make their own when the facts are sorted out .

A statement related to North America becoming independant with domestic oil would have to be from someone living very close to Disney Land or no real inkling of what the Petro Chemical industry is all about .

When we run machinery like the largest dredging barge in the world out of New Orleans that consumes 167 tons of fuel a day , This would power the average family vehicle for 43 years normal use , nothing we do or say is going to have diddly effect on the price of fuel .

And by the way it is our own oil companies along with BP (British) and Shell (Dutch) that are raking in all the profits in the middle east . The host countries that do not have the capabilities to produce the required production without our involvement collect royalties . You know it , by the bbl or cubic meter for gas .
Good points ! How hard do you think America's Current Admin. is going to work to get the price dropped when every one of them are profitting off these prices ? Not to damn hard.

Old 04-10-2005, 01:10 PM
Schmids4.9l
Posting Guru
a few of my buddies around here put the died diesel in their trucks, but the local police and sheriffs dont check. I dont think too many people around here put it in their tank, i can only think of 4 people who do it. i didnt know it was tax evasion, but i understand how it would be. I'll rig up a big tank in a tool box in the bed!

Old 04-10-2005, 01:26 PM
parks911
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a few of my buddies around here put the died diesel in their trucks, but the local police and sheriffs dont check. I dont think too many people around here put it in their tank, i can only think of 4 people who do it. i didnt know it was tax evasion, but i understand how it would be. I'll rig up a big tank in a tool box in the bed!

Look, you do what you want to do about running died fuel. The consequences will all be yours. All that I'm saying is that you will eventually get caught. You don't know who or when you will be checked & they can tell by other means beside red fuel.

Like I said, do what you want. But don't be crying when big bubba is chasing you around that jail cell trying to do what he wants.

Old 04-10-2005, 04:10 PM
Jerry Gougeon
Elder User
Around here the MTO runs around with a little tube set tester kit to check for dyed fuel in domestic vehicles .

If caught the fines make sure you will never save any gold on fuel for quite some time to come .

Old 04-10-2005, 04:42 PM
RNE
Senior User

i remember when gas was 1.25 a gallon...school lunch was 1.25...now they are both in the 2.25 range.
Man, I can remember when Regular was 0.19 cents a gallon! .

And we complained about that!

I was making 85 cents an hour at the gorcery store I worked part time in. I paid 25 bucks for my first car, a 1952 ****** Areolark, it cost fifty cents to go to the drive in, and a trip to the Snack Bar for two would easily get change for a buck.

I make a heck of a lot more per hour now, and spend every single dime of it too. My insurance went up, again, no tickets, accidents or vehicle changes.

As for the price of gas? We've been paying artificially low prices for three decades, now the bill's come due. Get used to it.

Last edited by Racerguy; 04-10-2005 at 11:04 PM.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:13 PM
Schmids4.9l
Posting Guru
yeah first offence is just a fine, pretty sure i wouldnt run farm diesel after that. plus i dont plan on getting a diesel anytime soon cause the dollars per gallon. gas is only 2.09 here and diesels in the 2.30's range. ill stick with gas for now.

Old 04-10-2005, 10:26 PM
snowfighter
Elder User
My big truck gets 4-6 mpg, the bronco gets 12-15mpg. I went and bought a used KLR 600 and I am going to learn to ride It gets 53 mpg. I think we will start seeing more bikes on the road due to gas prices.
I have wonder how the price of gas has hurt the value of my big truck.

Old 04-10-2005, 10:51 PM
BrentKasson
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it really necessary to pay this much for fuel? Everyone made profits at lower prices only a year or two ago. What's changed?

Old 04-10-2005, 11:50 PM
boise49ers
New User
Originally Posted by BrentKasson
Is it really necessary to pay this much for fuel? Everyone made profits at lower prices only a year or two ago. What's changed?
They got 4 more years in November. Bend over and ask for KY. Any one who doesn't believe this, are the same ones who believed in WMDs. I'm not a Liberal Lefty either , just a realist who reads a lot. I can hear them already, The liberal News media. yeah all those guys I hear rambling on the news programs aren't exactly Liberal. Hannity, O-Reilly, Rush, and on and on and on.
OK no more political statements, I'm done. Lets just hope it hits it peak soon.

Quick Reply: Gas Price, When To Say ---- You Im Not Payin