Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Dodge has the longest lasting trucks on the road?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 02:36 PM
ARMORER
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually, I was under the impression that the ford f-150 was the best selling VEHICLE in the U.S. for the last couple years. Not just truck, but vehicle. That says something. If Chevys or Dodges were better, I think sales would reflect that. Consumers won't buy things they don't like or trust..........

Old 02-03-2005, 02:47 PM
FRECSF
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tmyers
Correct, but GM does not sell trucks, GMC and Chevy do. I know its splitting apples but that is why Ford can say it has the best selling truck.
How can you compare a whole company sale figures to a division's sales figures. General Motors is GMC, Chevorlet etc...

To set the sales argument straight, GM sales more trucks than Ford. There are numbers to back this up, not just say so. Ford may have sale more F-Series than Silverado's or Ram's, but not trucks.

Old 02-03-2005, 02:50 PM
bigbluebronco43
Elder User
Originally Posted by ARMORER
Actually, I was under the impression that the ford f-150 was the best selling VEHICLE in the U.S. for the last couple years. Not just truck, but vehicle. That says something. If Chevys or Dodges were better, I think sales would reflect that. Consumers won't buy things they don't like or trust..........
I'm not sure, but I think the Mustang may be the best selling vehicle-I'm probably wrong, but I thought I had just read that. It definitely does say something about the truck, I wouldn't go as far as saying its the best truck out their right now, but it definitely fills the 150 class niche well- Making a truck that is basically a car.

Old 02-03-2005, 04:15 PM
tdister
Posting Guru
Beano:

"this is going to turn into another war, i can read the future. mrs cleo and i are going in bussiness together."

I haven't seen anyone trying to instigate a flame war.

"well i can tell ya for a fact that dodges are going to fall apart at 100k"

Oh, nevermind.

Waskeer: "Dodges get better mileage"

While I did just buy my 98 Dakota back, I sure didn't get it for the mileage. My F150 (soon to be gone) gets atleast 3mpg better under any given scenario. (4.6 auto vs 5.2 manual.)

Last edited by tdister; 02-03-2005 at 04:26 PM.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:56 PM
tmyers
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FRECSF
How can you compare a whole company sale figures to a division's sales figures. General Motors is GMC, Chevorlet etc...

To set the sales argument straight, GM sales more trucks than Ford. There are numbers to back this up, not just say so. Ford may have sale more F-Series than Silverado's or Ram's, but not trucks.
Sorry FRECSF, I should of qualified my statment. The F-series truck is the number one selling vehicle for the last 23 years and the best selling truck for the last 28 years.

You are correct that GM sells more trucks, counting all truck types. This include SUV's, Vans, small pickups, halfbreds, semi's, etc.

Old 02-03-2005, 05:46 PM
wnorman1192
Senior User
You are correct that GM sells more trucks, counting all truck types. This include SUV's, Vans, small pickups, halfbreds, semi's, etc.
Actually the Silverado and Sierra , which are the same truck with a different name outsell the F-series. With a 20+% drop in sales last month, the Silverado alone really closed the gap. Sales have nothing to do with quality anyway, they are all about the same quality wise these days anyhow. If the Silverado passed the F-Series in sales I don't think too many on this board would say that makes the Silverado the better truck. I do realize that the Silverado won't pass the F-series in sales any time soon. Sales actually has more to do with advertising, personal preference and most of all production capacity.

Old 02-03-2005, 06:03 PM
tmyers
Posting Guru
No arguement from me there wnorman192, I agree that they are the same truck. Its GM that counts them as seperate models.

And this gets to what this thread is all about, numbers and how they are used. Could GM if it wanted to outsell Ford, yes, get rid of the GMC. Most if not all of those buyers would buy Chevys.

But look at the numbers more in depth. Ford can say they have more trucks on the road than anyone else. Well duh, they outsell everyone else. We also know that alot of Fords sales are fleet. Many of these fleet vehicles are never registered because they are only used on site for a company and never taken off site thus reducing the number of registered vehicles.

In the end every claim made by any of the manufactures is true and I will guess that they will stand up in a court of law. That is what the small print is all about. If you buy any vehicle based on what you see or hear on TV or the radio then the PR guys have done there jobs.

Old 02-03-2005, 06:45 PM
wnorman1192
Senior User
I do agree with you that manufacturers don't lie in their advertisements and everything that they say is technically true. It's all of the little writing at the bottom of the screen that I can't read that allows manufacturers to make broad claims like "most dependable truck". They have high priced lawyers that know just how far they can go and still be within the law.

It's interesting that you mentioned fleet sales. Ford has done a much better job with their recent introductions concerning fleet sales. I read that the mustang's retail sales were up around 33%, but total sales were only up around 3% due to a lower mix of fleet and a higher percentage of retail sales. If Ford could do the same with other vehicles they would be in great shape.

Old 02-03-2005, 06:51 PM
beano
Senior User
Originally Posted by 150ford
Every manufacturer has the selling points in ads. Ford still had there Built Ford Tough slogan which they have had like forever. I noticed they call Chevy trucks An american revolution now instead off Like a Rock. They admit now there trucks arnt as tough as they used to be. JK Guys who noes. Ford slogan has been around the longest so there definitly better. So Beano did you get a Ford yet.?
sorry it took so long to get back. i still have my ford. i have been to busy to persue getting another truck at the moment. busy with getting things ready for the christmas tree season.

Old 02-03-2005, 07:05 PM
Chris_ce
Posting Guru
What was fords.
Best selling truck for 23 straight years.

Old 02-03-2005, 07:48 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
busy with getting things ready for the Christmas tree season.
I thought Valentines was the next holiday

Old 02-03-2005, 08:00 PM
tmyers
Posting Guru
It takes awhile to grow a tree ya know.

Old 02-03-2005, 10:48 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Ford had a catch phrase for the diesel when it launched the new 6.0. I cant remember what it was. F150 you should know. Cmon what was it?

Old 02-04-2005, 03:58 AM
waskeer
New User
tdister, I should have qualified my post... both 7.3's I have owned absolutely SUCK the juice like it was water from a stream! My old F250 was so bad I HAD to convert it to propane in order to afford to drive it. The only half-decent mileage I have seen personally in a Ford was in my Dad's '69 F250 2wd with a 300 in it.

That being said, I have not had the experience of owning one of the new LD F150's and the like so I cannot comment on them. My time is spent on the heavier stuff.

As I said, I am Ford for all my life and PROBABLY will stay that way. I have a habit of overworking my vehicles and, from what I have seen, they are the only ones that will take that abuse day in and day out without too much of a complaint.

Old 02-04-2005, 09:00 AM
beano
Senior User
It takes awhile to grow a tree ya know.
no kidding. if you get a tree that is ready to transplant you looking at 7 years before you can cut. but the real pain the rear is dealing with the city. getting all the permits,inspections etc etc.

Quick Reply: Dodge has the longest lasting trucks on the road?