Modular V10 (6.8l)  

What are PI heads and do I have them in my truck???

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 03:17 PM
PurerockRacing
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so, you are saying that even the 2003-2005 V10s still have the bad design shallow plug thread heads? Why does Ford sell replacement heads with 9 threads in the plug hole, and still put the other heads on the motor from the factory... doesn't make sense to me or do they use the "better" head now, and no one seems to know it (or realize it)?

Old 02-02-2005, 03:22 PM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PurerockRacing
so, you are saying that even the 2003-2005 V10s still have the bad design shallow plug thread heads? Why does Ford sell replacement heads with 9 threads in the plug hole, and still put the other heads on the motor from the factory... doesn't make sense to me or do they use the "better" head now, and no one seems to know it (or realize it)?
No, I'm not saying that. I am saying that the heads still spit the plugs. This was what was posted awhile back:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner2
So happens I was in a Checker store in my town today and a guy in line with me was telling me the company he works for just had a plug blow out on a new V10 with only 10,000 miles on it.
That and another post that I can’t remember the title.

Old 02-02-2005, 03:33 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 306 Likes on 157 Posts
I'm tellin' ya' - it's quality-control... either in the threads, or the monkey with the wrench

Old 02-02-2005, 03:41 PM
ken04
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadrunner2
So happens I was in a Checker store in my town today and a guy in line with me was telling me the company he works for just had a plug blow out on a new V10 with only 10,000 miles on it.

And I have 105+ on mine, and original plugs. Yes, I'm scared to touch them, but I also know I gotta. So, I did see that the plugs were torqued to inch/pounds, was this a typo ? Ken

Old 02-02-2005, 03:52 PM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ken04
So, I did see that the plugs were torqued to inch/pounds, was this a typo ? Ken
< he he he >

I guess that's what the "guys" read.....

...oh, and a monkey.

Last edited by Big Orn; 02-02-2005 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:00 PM
PurerockRacing
Senior User
well the truck I was going to buy, had the trans go out instead of the plug. 80k miles on it, not one problem with the engine. My neighbor has a 2001 with 97k on it. He's a tune up freak. He's put plugs in it 3 times now. Says it was fairly easy and has never had a problem. I just don't know what to make out of all this. Out of all the vehicles out there with alum. heads. I just don't see how the plugs randomly blow out of only the Fords... even my "run into the ground" air cooled VW has never had a plug pop out, and I've stipped the threaded on those heads many times due to the plug seizing in the plug hole. I can see that possibly the plugs may come loose, hence the vibration etc. and could possibly pop out if they were never checked. I even found one of the plugs on my Silverado 5.7 was loose after 50k miles. No signs of it being loose, and I only noticed when I put the wrench to it to replace them. I turned it out with my fingers (w/cast iron heads at that). I think a monthly torque check would eliminate the chances greatly...catch it before it happens type of thing. Nevertheless, I am still leaning towards buying a V10 truck rather than a diesel. Budget restraints and the extra maintenace expenses of a diesel steers me to the V10. It's not going to be a work truck but rather a pleasure (weekend only) type of deal, and the only heavy thing I tow is my ski boat. I wonder how many v10 trucks out there have actually had this problem compared to the ones which did not??

Old 02-02-2005, 04:11 PM
ken04
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by PurerockRacing
I just don't know what to make out of all this. Out of all the vehicles out there with alum. heads. I just don't see how the plugs randomly blow out of only the Fords... even my "run into the ground" air cooled VW has never had a plug pop out, and I've stipped the threaded on those heads many times due to the plug seizing in the plug hole. Nevertheless, I am still leaning towards buying a V10 truck rather than a diesel. Budget restraints and the extra maintenace expenses of a diesel steers me to the V10. It's not going to be a work truck but rather a pleasure (weekend only) type of deal, and the only heavy thing I tow is my ski boat. I wonder how many v10 trucks out there have actually had this problem compared to the ones which did not??
I'd bet dollars to donuts that any plugs that have ever blown, had never been checked for torque. 2 thousand miles, to 200,000 miles, don't matter. How can I snugged down plug blow out unless you are running 85% nitro and 48 pounds of boost and you hydraulic the darn thing ? It is definitely a problem, and Ford is heavily to blame, don't get me wrong. But exactly what is the problem ? It seems to be a combo of bad design, and sloppy torque. But, even with the bad design if the plugs are kept torqued do they blow ? I say no, it's not mechanically feasible. But, just ask my first wife if I've been wrong before, hee hee, Ken

Old 02-02-2005, 04:20 PM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
The 5.4 has had blown plug reports, but not as many. How would you like to get paid standard wages for being required to take your time and insert those stinking little plugs down in that narrow little hole? I think that's what it boils down. I agree with Ken and Art.

Back to the 5.4 vs 6.8 ordeal. The V10 vibrates at a little different level...maybe? And that is my lesson for the day. Take two aspirins and call me in the morning....

Old 02-02-2005, 04:26 PM
ken04
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Big Orn
The 5.4 has had blown plug reports, but not as many. And that is my lesson for the day. Take two aspirins and call me in the morning....
How many less blown plug reports ? 20% maybe ? Yuk, yuk. 10 cyl vs 8 cyl=20% less plugs/cylinders/blow-outs. OK, don't say it, DUMB. Hey, it's a slow lumber day, I can't help it. I'll call ya in the morning,,,,, Ken

Old 02-02-2005, 04:31 PM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ken04
How many less blown plug reports ? 20% maybe ? Yuk, yuk. 10 cyl vs 8 cyl=20% less plugs/cylinders/blow-outs. OK, don't say it, DUMB. Hey, it's a slow lumber day, I can't help it. I'll call ya in the morning,,,,, Ken
...and a monkey...

Old 02-02-2005, 04:36 PM
PurerockRacing
Senior User
well I am a total freak when it comes to listening to an engine while driving.... ask my wife. My $5000 stereo rarely gets played while driving...LOL So, when it comes time to go checkin out used trucks, I'll definitely make it a priority to listen vewwy carefuwwy to the engine for hissing/spitting/popping noises......But I agree with you guys, a tight properly installed plug should "not" just blow right out of the head with the threads attached.... Even NHRA Pro Stock motors running in excess of 15:1 compression don't blow plugs out... maybe head gaskets, but not plugs