1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Engine selection for E150

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 05:14 PM
spnrgy
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine selection for E150

I am a newbie so forgive me if I am posting in the wrong forum, it seemed like the right one.
I am buying a Handicapped Van for myself and am wondering what engine would be the best.
I used to have an F150 with a 5.8L and I loved it, but can't drive it with a broken back.
I have seen vans with a 4.6L V6 and a straight six. I've been told the straight six is good, but how would it measure up against what I'm used to?
HELP!! I don't know the strengths and weaknesses of these various engines!
Somebody please help me out here.

Old 12-09-2004, 09:54 AM
Mike G
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First off, welcome aboard!

Secondly, what are you looking at as far a year of vehicle? I would definitely check in with the "68 - present Van" forum here and see what the guys there think.

--Mike

Old 12-09-2004, 07:24 PM
frty7ford
Elder User
We could use a little more input like what you are planing on using the van for other than a daily driver what you are looking for in a vehicle. The straight six is a great engine so is the 5.7 or the 5.0 I dont know much about the 4.6 It all depends on what you are using the van for.

Old 01-22-2005, 05:20 PM
spnrgy
Freshman User
Turns out I had little choice in the matter. A '99 E150 XLT Clubwagon was all that was available that met my other specs. The 4.6 is quick right off the line, but has very little acceleration after that. Nonetheless, I like my van. It has a 6" lowered floor midship so that there is enough head clearance when I am in my powerchair. That was accomplished partly by raising the body 3". Unfortunately, this leaves the wheels looking lost in the wheel wells. I'd like to put some 17" rims and bigger tires on but I don't know what will fit without rubbing. I took some pictures so you could see what I'm talking about, but apparently I am not allowed to post them for some reason. While I'm at it, anybody know of a company that makes a plain tubular step that runs all the way down the side? I found a siderail, but it was too goopy. Simple is better. Also, what about a way to get rid of those tacky rubber strips that cover the 3" gap in between the body and the bumper(from the 3" body lift)?

I don't know what this fireball smiley is but I like it.