Virginia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

License Plate Cover Laws?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 05:47 AM
rangerxlt92
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
License Plate Cover Laws?

I need to cover my plates and before I do I need to be sure it's legal. People seem to like to scrape the stickers off my license plates while I'm at work overnight and I don't feel like going for a 3rd set this year like last year.

So if I read this law right, clear plastic would be okay as long as I kept it, well, clean so it could be seen through?

"It is illegal to mount license plates frames, colored glass, plastic or any other type of covering on your license plates that alters or obscures the letters, numbers, decals or the state where the vehicle is registered, and when the registration expires."

Old 01-26-2005, 06:11 PM
stutterstan
Senior User
Few years ago I got pulled for having a clear cover over my front plate. The officer kindly advised me that NOTHING is to be placed over the letters/stickers. I guess anything that MIGHT make it harder to see would be illegal

Old 01-27-2005, 06:07 AM
rangerxlt92
New User
Thanks for the reply. I've seen covers, just very very rarely, that why I posted here and asked. The way I read it I thought the "that alters or obscures the letters, numbers, decals or the state where the vehicle is registered, and when the registration expires" meant clear was pretty much okay as long as it wasn't dirty and remained see through. Now what the heck am I supposed to do when I have my tags scrapped off yet again this year. I love this state but it ****es me off sometimes, argh.

Old 01-27-2005, 11:55 AM
stutterstan
Senior User
I think you can file a police report but I do not think a report will help you whenyou get new tag at DMV

Old 01-27-2005, 03:56 PM
Tomcat7742
Posting Guru
Have you tried calling DMV and asking if they know of a devise that you can place over your plate that would prevent them from being scrapped?

I imagine that there has to be something out there you can use legally.

- Chris

Old 01-27-2005, 04:16 PM
rangerxlt92
New User
Yeah, I guess I'll ask them. That law could be inturrepted differently. There is actually a police officer on duty at my local DMV all the time so I'll drop by his office and have a chat. If they steal my actual plates I would file a police report, they just liked scraping the stickers though. Last year when this happened I asked the DMV about it, they said it wouldn't do much good to file and to just get new ones again. I mean there really isn't much you can do other than cover it which is apparently not allowed. Thanks guys.