Will my truck handle my 5th wheel??

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 11:16 AM
corey fletcher
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will my truck handle my 5th wheel??

Hey all,
I'd sure appreciate some opinions! I have an '02 4x4 crew cab with now 63K miles. I'm in the process of buying a 5th wheel camper, 8,500# dry weight, 30'4" long and 8'1" wide. Tandem axle. I'd assume the total weight loaded will be around 9,500#-10,000# Max. I'm pretty sure I know the answer but it makes me feel much better hearing it from you experts out there that can directly relate to my questions. How is the 'ol girl going to handle it? The truck is in MINT shape and runs like a top. I do plan to put on a DP tuner, gages, 4" turbo exhaust, and eddy wood throttle body all from Clay before I head out very far but was wondering how she'll do as it sits and NO I'm not talking about the wife. She isn't in need of anymore up-grades just yet............ As always, I sure appreciate all your in-put!

Old 01-19-2011, 11:24 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You should be fine. Your truck should be able to handle the weight. I pull a slightly longer 5'ver but about the same weight without any issues. The mods you list gets you in the right direction. You may want to add a 6.0L tranny cooler for warm weather pulls. Make sure your brakes are in tip-top shape - no warped rotors, bad pads, frozen slide pins. With the short bed, just double check the clearance of the cab verses the nose of the 5'ver on sharp turns. If you get a sliding hitch, it's not an issue.

What kind of 5'ver are you looking at?

Old 01-19-2011, 11:27 AM
Mitch1407
Senior User
I have a short bed extended cab 350 if you have a towing package thats anything like mine then you should be fine. If you dont, you could find some blocks off a wrecked truck or buy an add a leaf. Personally I don't like airbags simply because if they blow, your stuck. I pull a 20 foot trailer with a bobcat and fourwheeler often. I havent pulled anything that has ever moved my suspension below level.

Best option would be to get what you want. Since the weight is directly over the axle it shouldn't squat as much due to the leverage being so low. Add a leaf if needed.

good luck in your purchase

Mitch

Old 01-19-2011, 11:28 AM
robs01f250
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
X2 on what Chris said. Make sure and check clearance with the short bed. I know I pulled a 5'er and it was too closr for comfort.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:33 AM
Mike F250
Laughing Gas

you should be good. I pull a 36ft at 11k lbs dry. You will need to understand that your zero to 60 times will suffer and your 60 to zero will need more room. I have the overload springs on mine and it sits just slightly lower in the rear with the trailer hooked up. I do plan to do air bags at some point to make towing more comfortable. I have a short bed and the sliding hitch. Works well. You will need the sliding hitch. And like Chris said, good brakes.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:38 AM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not that your pickup won't tow it, but having been there I'm gonna say you will really wish you had a dually at some point when the cross wind is blowing on the two lane and there is a semi coming in the other lane...........................

Old 01-19-2011, 11:42 AM
corey fletcher
Senior User
Thanks to you all, I really appreciate it!!!!!! Yes, I do plan on up-grading my tranny cooler as well and the 5th wheel hitch I have on order is a slider. I forgot what kind it is? The RV dealership is actually the ones that ordered it and it's what they recommend.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:52 AM
corey fletcher
Senior User
It's an '06 pilgrim with two slides. I just can't pass up the deal. Kinda of a story on the camper. I graduated high shcool with the owner of the rv dealership which has helped on the price. This rv is brand new, never left his lot. Actually been indoors in the show room. The guy that started Duchman sold out and later started Pilgrim Corp. but went out of buisness in '08 due to the economic down turn. Banks would not finance due to that with out huge down payments. Anyway the camper listed for 31.9K when he got it. He dropped it down to 25K a couple of years ago and down to 20K last year. I got him down to 15K and decided I can't find a better deal.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:30 PM
robs01f250
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
post some pics of the 5'er. That is a heck of a deal

Old 01-19-2011, 12:31 PM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

That is a good deal on the 5er, and since I tow closer to 14,000lbs I'm going to say that you'll be fine.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:45 PM
89LX306
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Yeah, you should be fine. I tow a 32' 5th wheel with my truck. GCVW is right under 20k for me and it tows great.

Camping is a blast! This past year was our first year. We are weekenders, but managed to put 5,000 miles on it since we bought it in May. We bought our camper used and preactically stole it. I looked at my wife on the way home from our first weekend in it and said..."Well that camping trip only cost $10,000."

Old 01-19-2011, 12:50 PM
bfife
still plays with trucks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
your truck is rated for 20K total weight truck and trailer. what kind of tires do you use? 10 ply minimum. How much does your truck weigh? no guessing. fill with all the stuff you take camping:fuel, tools, pets, kids, firewood, wife, whatever, then WEIGH it at the local mill or truck stop. then you subtract that total from 20K. THAT is the LOADED trailer weight you can pull. how much does the trailer weigh/ no guessing. If the dealer wants it gone they'll let you hook up and pull to the local scale for a real dry weight. then add 1000-1500lbs for all the gear you will fill the trailer with. still under 20K?
make this decision based on real knowledge, not recommendations from the dealer, or because somebody else does it and they get away with it. don't let a poor decision become a dangerous situation for your family or mine.
Ok I'm off my soapbox.

Barney

Old 01-19-2011, 01:41 PM
corey fletcher
Senior User
You can view the rv on the web----- Paragould Arkansas travel trailers campers 5th wheels for sale. It's the 2006 Pilgrim on page 3 of the inventory list. I think it's still there. The sale price is listed at $20,000. Dry weight is 8,500#'s. I have a brand new set of Toyo 285's on my truck and I'm almost positive they are 10 ply. Once I get everything loaded I'll get the huge mass weighted. I know the fresh water holding tanks will not be filled and 95% of our camping trips will just be the wife and I. We may add 500-1000#'s of junk but that's even a high guess. A pair of shorts and some flip-flops, a cooler of Miller Lite, couple of bottles of wine and some cheetoe's can't weight much..................

Old 01-19-2011, 02:06 PM
ltl_jrw
Senior User

I have a F350 dually and pull a 35ft fith wheeler app 14,000lb's with no problems.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:19 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 820 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by bfife
your truck is rated for 20K total weight truck and trailer. what kind of tires do you use? 10 ply minimum. How much does your truck weigh? no guessing. fill with all the stuff you take camping:fuel, tools, pets, kids, firewood, wife, whatever, then WEIGH it at the local mill or truck stop. then you subtract that total from 20K. THAT is the LOADED trailer weight you can pull. how much does the trailer weigh/ no guessing. If the dealer wants it gone they'll let you hook up and pull to the local scale for a real dry weight. then add 1000-1500lbs for all the gear you will fill the trailer with. still under 20K?
make this decision based on real knowledge, not recommendations from the dealer, or because somebody else does it and they get away with it. don't let a poor decision become a dangerous situation for your family or mine.
Ok I'm off my soapbox.

Barney
I'm quoting this so you don't miss it.
But this advise is coming from two guys who both own F 550 duallys that will pull land yachts, not just vacation rigs.
We both, however went through a "not enough truck" experience to know that it's a white knuckle experience if you ever find yourself in that situation.
With that said you should be well within the limits on a 30' trailer.

Quick Reply: Will my truck handle my 5th wheel??