General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

the guns you just wont get rid of ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 05:55 PM
baitmaster
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
keep it all

The .22 that my dad's friend gave me when I was 10 yrs old, the .22 I got for my 12th b-day (40 yrs ago), '06 that killed every head of big game with one shot, my pet 12 ga Beretta, .45 EAA, .280 Rem. RMEF commemorative, Austin & Halleck .50 BP rifle, .44 Redhawk, Ruger .22 revolver, .54 BP mountain, 45-70 lever, .22 Ruger rifle, 870 Rem slugger, and my little BB gun. If I was starving I might sell something, but for now the fridge is full.

Old 01-03-2005, 07:00 PM
ClydeSDale
Laughing Gas
I just parted with my Dad's old black powder Winchester lever gun, a model 1876 in 40-60 caliber. It was a neat old bit of history ... built 121 years ago ... but it did nothing but sit in an out of sight hiding spot and later the gun safe. It would have looked great over my bar in the basement but I was afraid of having it stolen!

I've had people, including my wife, tell me I was crazy to sell it but it was something I owned but didn't really enjoy all that much. It has been "replaced" with two S&W wheelguns, a .45 Colt model 625 and a .357 model 66, a Browning Buckmark .22, a scoped Ruger model 96 lever gun in .17 HRM and a full reloading set up for the Smith's. Oh yeah, and I just bought a Hamm's Beer Scenearama sign for the bar on ebay, the one with the tent and waterfall etc. Some of the cash spent was my pocket money also, but I've still got ~$400 left from the old '76

What I won't sell is the little Winchester model 1910 .22 pump he gave me.

Roger

Old 01-03-2005, 07:44 PM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Family hand down and my toys

Baker Black Beauty (1929) 12 GA, Winchester mod 12 (1922),M1 Carbine WW2, P-38 ww2, US .45 WW2, Colt Python 8", .44 Redhawk 7 1/2", Browning HighPower FN 9mm adj sights, Browning mark 2 .22, High Standard .22 target,
Mac 10 open bolt .45, a pin fire break open wheel gun that went thru Ellis Island (grandpa) in 1924 cal ?, Nam gift that sprays lead (oops). A old time friend has a 20mm rifle that you fire in the prone position, a Swiss ww2 toy, damn I want that. A Competition Arms break open single shot pistol all Stainless Steel in 14" barrel in .375 (.444 Marlin case necked to .375) wrist killer, anything that walks North America can be had. The wife has a Freedom Arms 5 shot long barrel mini pistol, just the right size to shoot you finger tip off if fired. I live in a city and the neighbor on the left is a anti-gun owner, pity, his *** is mine, oops again. Many others in the other basement gun safe. I still have a bad reaction when getting shot at. Carl....=o&o>......

Old 01-03-2005, 08:15 PM
SangRun Hunter
Freshman User
Hey guys, very cool you all are talking about guns here.

Not trying to step on anyone's toes, but I'm a partner at www.gunco.net/main a gun disccusion board. Admin, please delete if I have broken a rule here by posting this.

I own 4 AK's 1 partial AR. 1 1911 2 Nagants, 2 SKS's 2 Enfields, 1 Mauser, a Nagant pistol, 2 shotguns, a BSA Monarch in .270 and a couple of other things.

Gunco is a great place to learn how to build and mod your on AK's as well as other guns.

We have a free pic host as well http://www.picyard.com/main/ for anyone anywhere to use.

Now I got to go on and see about replacing my clogged cat converter.

Old 01-04-2005, 02:05 PM
Johnboy_BoomerSooner
Elder User
I ended up with all my fathers guns after he passed last year, most of which I will give to my sons when they're old enough.

My most cherrished is my grandfather's Montgomery & Ward Hurcules double barrel 12 ga. 33-1/2" barrels, both full choke. The gun is still tight and is great to shoot.

The rest are mine or from my Dad's collection, they all have some meaning that keeps me hanging on to them. Like my old CVA kentucky rifle, .45 cal muzzle loader. It's really ugly, and tempermental about firing, and has long since been replaced...but I killed my first deer with it, and the biggest buck I ever killed was with it... I just can't part with it for some reason. I have a Winchester model 1897 pump that was my dads, it's been completely re-worked and blue'd, which may have lessened the value a bit, but it's a fine gun to shoot. Also a M-1 Garand Springfield, I had one myself already that I would never part with, but now I have a pair. I'll never part with his old 22, it's just an old Ruger 10/22 but he had it since he was a boy and it's a 5 digit serial number gun. My father in law just gave me a Rock Island model 1903 rifle... he had two others made by Springfield, but he knew I always had my eye on the Rock Island one, and it has some old soldiers initials carved in the stock... I think it adds a lot of character to the gun. I guess I could name every gun I own and come up with some reason why I will hang on to it.

Old 01-04-2005, 06:21 PM
bambishooten
Senior User
Model 12 16 guage Winchester, my dad's great uncle's, that would probably be the last to go, but then again, every thing in the safe has a special meaning & won't be going anywhere either, don't sell 'em, just get more...lol

Old 01-04-2005, 06:26 PM
bambishooten
Senior User
Talking guns

Winchester model 12 16 guage that was given to my dad from his great uncle, that would be the last to go, but the ones in the safe won't be going anywhere either, don't sell'em just get more...lol

Last edited by bambishooten; 01-04-2005 at 06:27 PM. Reason: double sent message
Old 01-04-2005, 09:20 PM
dsldandually
Senior User
my grandfather gave me his Winchester 44-40 lever before he passed and my father gave me his old State Police S&W 357mag both of which have great sentimental value the rest of my guns "are mine" but for the right price everything is for sale

Old 01-05-2005, 10:13 AM
Big_Fords
Junior User
I have an old dbl barrel shotgun tyhat doesn't work anymore but it belonged to my great grandfather and its well over 100 years old, when i get the money i'm going to get it restored. It even has his name engraved into the side of the barrel.

Its very sentimental too me.

Richard

Old 01-05-2005, 10:32 AM
snyiper
Senior User
I share the sediment of most and won't sell a gun. If I own it, it shoots and I am keeping it. I have a Mdl 94 .30-.30 knock off by Western field that was my first deer rifle I suspect it was made by the same people as it is a side eject. I have since replaced it with a larger caliber but wont buy a gun I wont keep. My favorite is a old single shot 16 Ga with a exposed hammer and shortened Barrel (Due to previous owner trying to shoot mud out the barrel), many a rabbit has fallen to the North-south shotgun with no choke!!
Glenn

Old 01-05-2005, 11:44 AM
psdFarm
New User
I'll reply a bit differently; of the many I own, the ONLY ones that would ever be sold are several junkers that I have picked up over the years for under $40 in hopes that some stupid anti-gun group will start buying guns for $100 each to get them off the street! Otherwise they are future restoration projects for my sons and I.

Old 01-05-2005, 12:52 PM
02PSD4ME
Posting Guru
I have many, but the one I will not get rid of id my '43 M1 Garand.

Old 01-06-2005, 12:31 PM
pchristman
Laughing Gas
[QUOTE=psdFarm]...the ONLY ones that would ever be sold are several junkers that I have picked up over the years for under $40 in hopes that some stupid anti-gun group will start buying guns for $100 each to get them off the street! ...QUOTE]

I've got some of them too, and in the meantime, I leave them around the house, standing in various corners. The hope is, that if some low-life ever breaks in, he'll go for the easy stuff in plain sight, and not waste his time looking for the good ones hidden away. I'd love to booby-trap them, but here in America, it's against the law to harm our criminals.

That's okay - if I catch them, they'll never feel a thing.

Old 01-06-2005, 12:44 PM
f100guy
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
i got an old 303 Brittish with a scope and i love it, very loud gun. was my grampa's. also got a discontued 22 rifle single shot bolt action made by remington, it was discontinued in 1941. my dad found it in the bushes and gave it to me long ago.

Old 01-06-2005, 01:03 PM
oldrifleman
Senior User
Policy is to never sell anything, but the two that will go ONLY after I am buried are the sporterized 03 springfield that my dad gave me and my 74 Sharps (45-90). Steven

Quick Reply: the guns you just wont get rid of ??