Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Grinding noise in brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 02:26 PM
sandraj
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Grinding noise in brakes?

I have a problem with my 98 Explorer Sport (4x4, SOHC) that I'm hoping someone might be familiar with. When I begin to slow down, I hear an awful grinding noise in the front end (not sure if it's coming from the rear also).

Here's what happened... a friend just did some work on the front end for me. Replaced the brake pads, shocks, lower ball joints, outer tie rod ends and the driver's side rotor. Took it to a Firestone shop for an alignment the next day. The first time I drove it was when I picked it up from having the alignment done. It sounds terrible! The brakes work, but are grinding. It doesn't sound/feel right when I'm not using the brakes either (but it's not as loud). His explanation is that there's rust on the rotor from non-use (which he says is normal) and it should subside after the rust is worn off. I think something else is wrong.

First question -- does anyone have any suggestions of what the problem might be?

Also, my ABS light is now on and when I asked about it, he said he broke one of the sensors. Second question -- does anyone know if it's possible to buy the sensor by itself (perhaps from a junk yard)? Seems kind of ridiculous to replace the whole hub assembly just for that damn sensor.

Thanks,
Sandy

Old 12-14-2004, 02:36 PM
RJB1
Elder User
1st, never let this guy work on your car again! Since he touched vitually everything on the front end, it could be anything, from the wheel bearings to improperly installed brakes.
Sorry I don't know if you can get just the sensor, but have a qualified mechanic look at your car.

Old 12-14-2004, 03:15 PM
Shadowe
Freshman User
If the Pads are Installed incorrectly it will make the Grinding Sound. Also if the true cause is Rust, this rust should be visible on the brake rotor without even taking the tire off the car. If it makes noise all the time while driving, it could be a berring, but an impropperly installed Pad will also cause this problem. Have someone a little more qualified look at your wheels. Auto Zone does Carry the Sensor for the Hub for $83.00, and a New Hub w/ Sensor for $175, I am guessing you will want to find a used one though.

David

Old 12-14-2004, 03:30 PM
sandraj
New User
Thanks to both of you for the reply. An improperly installed pad would certainly make sense...

I made an appt. at a local garage to have it looked at tomorrow. Hopefully it will be an easy fix.

Regards,
Sandy

Old 12-14-2004, 04:21 PM
tony b.
Junior User
Question grinding noise

hello, i was wondering if u knew what type of brakes he installed , cause cheap brake pads also have a tendency to make this grinding noise.i have this exact same explorer yr.& model, i replaced the brakes about a year ago with Raybestos heavyduty brake pads& at first i had the grinding noise for about a week till they wore in, rotors were cut to,& they also were very rusty.the sensor not sure about but do you have this grinding noise when your about to stop or when you take off?