Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

powerstroke vs cummins vs duramax

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 02:17 PM
Percys Armory
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Logical Heritic
Ford just released a new model. Everyone trades up. It boosts sales.

Wow cant refer to carb as german military officers.
its the jones syndrome

Old 12-20-2004, 02:38 PM
fordinlinesix
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lifted97Ranger
It is hard to beat the Cummins motor, especially since the trucking industry uses it in most all of thier trucks. Ford nor Chevy diesels ARE NOT used in the big trucking industry so i believe that Dodge has the advantage.
I worked at a furniture distributor and most of our trucks were Internationals with the DT466 motor. International makes Ford's diesels. Mostly every motor we saw in our big bobtail trucks was either a Cat, Detroit Diesel, or International motor. For our tractors they had Detroit's in them. We used to have an old '60's model Chebby with a gasoline V8 that we'd use to park our trailers, wasn't really good at towing a load(don't ask me why the boss bought it). We used to have smaller Isuzu's that had Onan Cummins motors in them and they weren't that great of motors, don't really remember seeing a 5.9L I6 diesel in any of them though.

Old 12-20-2004, 02:45 PM
Level2
Posting Guru
Ford does use Cummins diesels in the bigger trucks like the F-650 and F-750s but they have several engine options. You can get the 7.2L Cat/6.0 PSD/ or the 5.9 ISB Cummins engine. The Cummins is a fine engine, I wont dispute that but the 6.0 is a far better pulling engine and the F series trucks have a higher payload and GVWR than the Dodge or Chevy. Not to mention stronger frame, better suspension, and better brakes.

Old 12-20-2004, 09:49 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
The dodge has bigger brakes. Stops faster.

Old 12-20-2004, 10:10 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
The dodge has bigger brakes. Stops faster.
If you're going to make that statement, post specs please and be sure to use the 2005 specs for Ford.

Old 12-20-2004, 11:56 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by johnsdiesel
If you're going to make that statement, post specs please and be sure to use the 2005 specs for Ford.
Look it up yourself. I did. Then compare stopping distances.

Old 12-21-2004, 12:23 AM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Look it up yourself. I did. Then compare stopping distances.
Well, if you're too lazy to post statistics or even a link then why should we believe you. I think you're simply making it up. Until you prove me wrong I am going to continue to think that you made it up.

Since the Ford is rated to tow more weight, I'm willing to bet it has a better stopping distance and larger brakes.

Last edited by johnsdiesel; 12-21-2004 at 12:26 AM.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:44 AM
Percys Armory
Posting Guru
where do you even find brake specs?

Old 12-21-2004, 12:52 AM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
I don't know, but you certainly shouldn't make a blanket statement about the brakes with absolutely nothing to back it up. This forum is, after all, for technical comparisons.

Old 12-21-2004, 12:56 AM
Percys Armory
Posting Guru
I googled and came up empty handed. I even tried the dodge website....where is my shrug smilie?

Old 12-21-2004, 06:16 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Gents we have talked about this before, if you post a "fact" and no link, then you are going to be challenged...it is.... the way it will be.
The nature of the beast!~

Blanket statements are not factual in anyway…remember the-o-bibliography.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...1&page=9&pp=25
Post # 205 through 225 great example

Old 12-21-2004, 02:10 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Are you too LAZY? It has been linked before. Also stopping distances. Along with rotor diameters. Everything comes back around. Its already been proven. I do not feel like wasting my time to prove it again, and again, and again. If you look it up yourself. You will likely remember it next time. And not post statements that are wrong. This is how I was taught in school. Try it out. Betcha remember next time.

Ill give you a hint to make your search easier. Dodge has had bigger brakes for 2 years. Ford increased their brakes this year to match dodges. Well. Almost. Dodge has bigger rear rotors still. Still stops quicker. Ford matched dodges front rotors exactly. Even went to coils. HMM. Seems like dodge had the right idea all along.

Last edited by Logical Heritic; 12-21-2004 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:32 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
This is how I was taught in school.
Sorry, but if that's the case you were taught wrong. It's called plagairism and I'm positive that's not what's taught in schools. They teach you in school to reference all work that is not your own, and this is not your own and you have not even provided any evidence. You have provided a thesis statement that is void of supporting evidence and citations. If you want to be taken seriously, give an example. The purpose of this forum is for technical comparisons, not blanket statements that are not backed up by facts. If you can't do this, don't make a statement like that. I'm not too lazy, you are being lazy or you cannot prove what you said. Since you made the statement, it's up to you to prove that you are right, not vice versa.

Old 12-21-2004, 03:34 PM
Percys Armory
Posting Guru
lets get some facts rolling. If a statement was said I want specs with it.

Old 12-21-2004, 05:22 PM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Gentlemen ... no more arguing back and forth, please. One of you come up with a link to facts or that particular discussion may as well be over.

Give me FACTS gentlemen ... nothing but the facts. Most vehicle evaluations have stopping distances listed on most vehicles. As for actual size of disc brake rotors, I'm sure that someone can come up with a link so we can all see the FACTS.

Quick Reply: powerstroke vs cummins vs duramax