General Automotive Discussion

Recent gas prices

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 10:05 PM
retired2001
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by calgary_redneck
I think the high gasprices are a good thing they might make northamericans rethink their waistful life style. I find is pretty funny when people whine about not being able to drive their giant buses(motor homes) like its something everyone should be able to do.
If you work for 30+ years, saving for retirement and when you finally can afford to buy a "giant bus", why shouldn't they be able to drive it? It isn't like they are stealing fuel from others. If you think that me not driving my "giant bus" is going to lower your fuel prices.... I really don't think so. If you want to drive a 4X4 that gets "questionable" mileage compared to what a VW TDI would get, that is your decision. I have the same option, as do most of us in the free world. This shouldn't get hostile, so I'll end my part in it! I'll respect your right to feel the way you do, but I don't have to appreciate the "inferance"!

Old 10-16-2004, 05:37 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One problem I have with the free choice comment is that we aren't allowed the higher econiomy vehicles that are sold overseas, like many diesels, and such. I personally would rather a high economy diesel over the poorer economy gassers anytime, but they aren't readilay available here in the states. I do agree, however on some of the wasteful tendencies of most Americans. Part of the problem too is the fact we have no real choice but to drive, and rather than building mass transit systems that work, we build bigger roads and parking lots.

Old 10-17-2004, 09:28 PM
Randy_the_Hack
New User
Yeah, right...

Originally Posted by calgary_redneck
I think the high gasprices are a good thing they might make northamericans rethink their waistful life style. I find is pretty funny when people whine about not being able to drive their giant buses(motor homes) like its something everyone should be able to do.
Kiss my gas tank. You can pontificate all you want about how wasteful we are here in the US of A, but until you straighten out all of the truly wasteful bozos in the third world countries, like India or Mexico, where they burn gas like they're drinking water, and the cars are all so pitifully maintained that they burn oil and guzzle gas at the 5-8 mpg range, get off our backs. Yeah, my Avalanche gets under 20 mpg, but my Nissan truck 4 cyl did no better except a)on the highway, and b)when it was under 2 years old. After that, my 327 does just as well as my little Nissan.

It irritates the tar out of me that we get blamed for all of the pollution, all of the consumption, and all of the woes of the world. Go take a tour of a developing country and then reconsider your complaints about the busses and "wasteful lifestyles". Again... kiss my gas tank.

Randy

Old 10-17-2004, 10:44 PM
retired2001
Elder User
It irritates the tar out of me that we get blamed for all of the pollution, all of the consumption, and all of the woes of the world. Go take a tour of a developing country and then reconsider your complaints about the busses and "wasteful lifestyles". Again... kiss my gas tank.

Randy[/QUOTE]
More or less the same point I was trying to make!