New York Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: tiny1

Smog / Emissions / Safety inspections

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 02:43 PM
ford7379trucks
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
iv got my ny inspectors certification only obd-2 have a emissions test. anything older is only visualy checked for factory installed emissions(the parts must be there). anything over 25years is a safety only sence yours is a 77 from CA you mite have a cat if your motor tag said catalis on it it needs a cat to pass if not safety only.

Old 01-04-2005, 02:21 AM
wipper
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i had my o2 sensors code come up so i changed them (sensors )the code did not go away when auto zone scaned it a second time.
i asked him to clear the code and he said if he cleares the code it will show when i get my inspection ( some p01 or some thing ) and i will automaticlly fail. what gives?
i'm sure if i went to ford spent lots $$$$ they would clear the code i have an excursion with a 5.4
i'm just trying to do maintaince not moding

Old 01-04-2005, 10:50 AM
gatesj
Posting Guru
Here's the deal with 1996 and newer (sometime later with heavier than 1/2 ton trucks). When you clear trouble codes it also clears "readiness" codes. There's no way around it, the computer does it. Each readiness code means that a particular system has been tested and passed. Some systems have to be under the exact right conditions for the computer to actually run the test on them, so it takes a few days of driving the truck to get all the readiness codes set. Typically, if there really is a problem, a trouble code will set during those few days, so it's almost impossible to get all the readiness codes set and no trouble codes if you have a real problem. So, for the state inspection, it reads all these codes. If there is a trouble code, you fail. If you don't have all the readiness codes, you fail. Trouble code obviously means there is trouble with something. Missing readiness codes either means you just cleared the trouble codes, possibly in an attempt to get around the emissions law, or a system did not pass testing and the code didn't get set. Either way you most likely have a problem so they fail you. They got you by the short and curlies. Aint this state great?

Now, as far as autozone is concerned, they may not completely understand what I wrote. If you got an O2 sensor trouble code, and replaced the sensor and that was actually the real problem, you need to clear the trouble code and drive it for a few days to set the readiness codes. Then it will pass.

Old 01-04-2005, 06:45 PM
RoushRacen
Junior User
This is the funny part, if you have regestered you truck (the F series and other large trucks) wrong you'll be mailed a lil nice letter. They'll let you know you need to pay more due to incorrect info...ie wrong weight and engine class.

.....where is all the money from taxes, thruway and now the inspections going to?

Old 01-04-2005, 09:34 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 899 Likes on 814 Posts
All vehicles will be run through the computer now, the registration will be scanned as well as the Inspector's card. The older vehicles, non-OBDII of course, can't be hooked up. The inspection is for the various monitors that check to see if the emissions controlers are working properly. Some monitors will never be re-set if needed ( example drive 65 mph for 20-30 minutes in some areas it can't be done). Don't forget to check your tire pressure ...yes, it is on the list. Try www.nyvip.us for more details on the procedure.

Old 01-05-2005, 09:49 AM
gatesj
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by GLR
All vehicles will be run through the computer now, the registration will be scanned as well as the Inspector's card. The older vehicles, non-OBDII of course, can't be hooked up. The inspection is for the various monitors that check to see if the emissions controlers are working properly. Some monitors will never be re-set if needed ( example drive 65 mph for 20-30 minutes in some areas it can't be done). Don't forget to check your tire pressure ...yes, it is on the list. Try www.nyvip.us for more details on the procedure.
Monitors are the processes that set readiness codes, basically the same thing...

Last edited by gatesj; 01-05-2005 at 09:56 AM.