C-6 Low gear kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 10:45 PM
sandfantom
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C-6 Low gear kit

Has anyone had any experiance with Fords C-6 Low 1st-2nd gear kit??? I am running a 77 F 250 with built 460, 3.54's (just might switch back to 4.11's) and 35 inch BFG's. Looking for more low end and low Hiway rpm's (yeah....right) Also any info on USA Gear OD unit's would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 09-01-2004, 12:21 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
I did not buy Ford's kit. I just found the E4OD hard parts that make up the kit. I will have to buy a couple of the thrust bearings tho. It looks like you are more in need of an OD unit with that rear axle and a 460. You may have overbuilt the 460 to the point that you have made it gutless.

I have an old modified Doug Nash Engineering OD unit for my C6.

Old 09-01-2004, 08:26 AM
sandfantom
New User
I guess when I say built, I really mean not stock. Got a 268 Comp cam, L&L headers, Performer manifold, a little head work and a 750 DP Holley. So I wouldn't say it's really "built".

I am just looking to lower the rpm's at cruising speed. With the 4:11's at 70 mph the tach was reading 3000+ and with a 460.....that's swingin a lot of iron!!! I put the 3.54's in for just that reason, to bring the rpm's down, but now of course, my low end pulling power has suffured

I might even go with a ZF 5 speed if I can find one reasonable enough. Seems like they want a lot of $$$$ for a used one!!! Talked to a tranny builder buddy of mine and he doesn't think that I would be happy with the
C-6 low gear kit.....to much of a jump from second to third. This is why I am asking if anyone has used one.

This truck is not a daily driver.....just used for hauling a pulling, but I still would like to be able to run down the Hiway without screaming to engine to death.

What all parts would I need from the OD tranny if I did decide to try this though? Thanks for the info.

Bruce

Last edited by sandfantom; 09-01-2004 at 08:28 AM.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:39 AM
SoCalDesertRider
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You may want to find someone with a truck that has a 460 and an E4OD, since the C6 low gear kit give similar gearing to the E4OD in first three gears, and see if you like the 2nd to 3rd gear spacing. I'm considering the low gear kit for my C6 as well. I have low enough axle gears (4.56's) that I think I can handle the jump from 2nd to 3rd if I put in a shift kit and a modulator that holds the trans in second longer.

I would also like to put an OD unit on the back of my C6, but the Gear Vendors (www.gearvendors.com) unit that I like is over $2500, plus new rear driveshaft, and I don't have that much to spend right now. The US Gear overdrive unit (www.usgear.com), from what I have read and heard, is basically a newer version of the Doug Nash overdrive unit. In a 4x4 truck like mine, the install would be more difficult than the Gear Vendors install because the US Gear unit goes between the trans and t-case, whereas the GV unit goes after the t-case. US Gear unit requires relocating the t-case, modifying the floorboard, and changing the length of both the front and rear drivelines. The GV unit only needs the rear driveline shortened. Both are about the same price. In a 2wd truck the US Gear unit might make more sense.

The other option for me might possibly be an AOD, but it would have to be built heavily to last in an F350 used for towing. I don't know that it would last behind your hopped-up 460 and I don't know how much that kind of build-up would cost either. The AOD can also be built with the low gear kit and has a very high (0.67) OD ratio. That high an OD ratio would be plenty of rpm reduction for my 4.56's to run freeway speeds with ease. The GV and USG overdrive units have 0.78 OD ratios, or at least the GV does. The US Gear is somewhere near that if not that. .78 would still be fine for me though.

Old 09-02-2004, 11:19 AM
1978Crew
Senior User
It seems to me that the cost adding an overdrive unit, either Gear Vendor or US Gear, would cost significantly more that upgradeing to the E4OD. Is this not the case?? if it is the case - why is there a market for these $$ overdrive units?

Old 09-03-2004, 01:05 AM
SoCalDesertRider
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, the cost of swapping to an E4OD depends on what engine and truck you have and how you are using the truck. Costs of the swap include acquiring an E4OD with the right bellhousing bolt pattern and 2wd or 4wd tailhousing/shaft, and then building it to suit your needs, as well as adapting it to the wiring in your truck. This can end up being pretty expensive.

I checked into it and for my truck, it would be only a little cheaper to put in the E4OD instead of doing the OD unit. At that point, weighing the benefits of the E4OD -vs- the OD unit for what you intend to use it for would likely be the deciding factor. For me, the OD unit would be better. Unfortunately, right now I can't afford either choice, which is why I'm investigating the AOD...

Old 09-03-2004, 05:31 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
I paid ~ $500 for my OD unit off eBay but it needed a $40 part. Most OD units go for far more on eBay.

I also paid less than $40 for my near perfect used E4OD low gear parts but I will need a needle bearing. I can probably trade the rest of the hard parts, pump, shafts, etc, worth $$ for all new bearings and some good will at the local tranny shop.