1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Van rear door won't open!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 04:42 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner

Received 1,412 Likes on 1,113 Posts
You'll need to first determine which part exactly is having issues. Since the right side rear door outside handle and door latch is part of the license plate frame its possible that's the problem---I've had a few of those fail and give similar symptoms.

There are none of the usual cables for that door. The only repair is to replace the license plate frame and handle assembly. Be advised the actual latch which is actuated by the handle in the license frame could also be defective but you'll need to take things apart to determine what needs replaced. I suggest new dealer parts---I hate doing a job twice. RockAuto has this part listed from an aftermarket vendor under #FO1820100 Outside Door Handle---odd that its listed there for more money than I paid at the dealer> Anyway...................

HTH

Old 09-20-2019, 12:01 PM
jmo1112
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I don't know whether I should add on to a 15 year old thread, or start a new one. But I had this exact same cable failure on my '04 on the rear door. Both housings are broken for the inside handle and the outside. Problem is that I can't get the freakin door open to pull the latch in order to replace these things. I'm inside the door, using a screwdriver and a hook to move the latching mechanism, but it will not release the door. Anybody have any magic tricks here? Or am I missing something?

I'm doing what this guy is doing, but it is not working.

Old 09-20-2019, 01:07 PM
jmo1112
Mountain Pass
***Update....I'm an idiot. The door was locked.

Old 10-02-2020, 07:55 AM
gnosticguardian
New User
Bit of a long stretch adding to such an old thread, but anyone have a part number for the lower left hand side cargo door latch? Started with the typical cable issue which is an easy fix, but water ingress seems to have damaged the latch itself.

Old 10-02-2020, 01:04 PM
jeffie_3
Junior User
Originally Posted by gnosticguardian
Bit of a long stretch adding to such an old thread, but anyone have a part number for the lower left hand side cargo door latch? Started with the typical cable issue which is an easy fix, but water ingress seems to have damaged the latch itself.
Have you checked the local junk yards?

Old 10-02-2020, 03:02 PM
jimbomitch
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by gnosticguardian
This should be the one:
https://www.quirkparts.com/oem-parts...iABEgKYUfD_BwE

Old 10-03-2020, 05:51 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner

Received 1,412 Likes on 1,113 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffie_3
Have you checked the local junk yards?
While that might be cheaper there's no guarantee a used part especially a door latch will be worth the trouble using it might cause.

Originally Posted by jimbomitch
This should be the one:
Jimbomitch's link would seem to be the part needed--you can use the Ford part number and seach eBay for a new OEM part for less than is shown in the link. Someone might have one sitting around doing nothing and ready to sell it quite reasonably.

Old 10-03-2020, 11:41 AM
gnosticguardian
New User
Accidental double post

Last edited by gnosticguardian; 10-03-2020 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Double post
Old 10-03-2020, 11:47 AM
gnosticguardian
New User
Originally Posted by JWA
While that might be cheaper there's no guarantee a used part especially a door latch will be worth the trouble using it might cause.

Jimbomitch's link would seem to be the part needed--you can use the Ford part number and seach eBay for a new OEM part for less than is shown in the link. Someone might have one sitting around doing nothing and ready to sell it quite reasonably.

I'd prefer not to go with a used latch as it could have similar damage as the current one and I can't find the OEM part number, nor can any of my local parts stores. Jimbomitch's link is not the correct bolt pattern and the one's that look like the correct pattern and part say they're for other doors. I'd totally understand if they used the same latch on multiple doors as that would make assembly and inventory make sense, but I don't know that I've ever seen an auto manufacturer do something that makes that much sense. hopefully someone runs across a part number.

Old 10-03-2020, 02:24 PM
jimbomitch
More Turbo

F2UZ-15264A32-A

That's the part number. Same as in the link. You can't go by the image a lot of times, that looks like the middle. Look at the diagram in that link.

Old 10-03-2020, 03:58 PM
gnosticguardian
New User

F2UZ-15264A32-A

That's the part number. Same as in the link. You can't go by the image a lot of times, that looks like the middle. Look at the diagram in that link.
Thanks, that's always my fear when the number, picture and diagram are inconsistent. I'll check it out and I really appreciate it.

Old 10-03-2020, 04:32 PM
jimbomitch
More Turbo
Did you take the latch out? If not I would remove it and try cleaning and lubing it up. There's not much to that latch.

Old 10-03-2020, 05:16 PM
gnosticguardian
New User
Did you take the latch out? If not I would remove it and try cleaning and lubing it up. There's not much to that latch.
I pulled it out and thought about that. There's some rust and the springs feel weak. I may still try to clean it up but if the springs gave up I would need to considerable fab work to repair. I may just order that part and hope it's right, I just hate to have more than $50 tied up in something useless if it doesn't end up being the correct one.

Old 10-03-2020, 05:42 PM
jimbomitch
More Turbo
Check this diagram, item 4. That's what I'm going by. I agree the photos are not showing the actual latch: https://www.discountfordpartsfromsou...-a-4259511.htm

Old 10-03-2020, 05:48 PM
gnosticguardian
New User
Check this diagram, item 4. That's what I'm going by. I agree the photos are not showing the actual latch: https://www.discountfordpartsfromsou...-a-4259511.htm
that's definitely the part I'm looking for in the diagram. Guess I'll give it a shot. Really appreciate the help.

Quick Reply: Van rear door won't open!