'75 gas cap drool

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 11:45 AM
spikedog
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'75 gas cap drool

Anyone come up with a solution to the gas cap drool problem for '75 ranchero's? I've seen every other Ranchero from this year with the same problem - the cap is mounted so low that it sloshes fuel out the side on a right-hand turn if the tank is over 3/4 full.

No body shop I've talked to has a good solution, and I've changed gas caps, cap gaskets, etc.

Old 12-19-2003, 07:40 AM
ranchero77
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mine has the same cap but most of the drool on mine is from the gas pump dripping fuel in the little catch area where the gas is "supossed to" go back in the tank thru that little drain hole. the paint from the cap down is all messed up!
have you tried to dbbl the gaskets. put the new one over the old. its time you want to check the condition on the fill hose if its original.
3 lefts make a right. good luck

Old 08-03-2004, 03:09 PM
LV Dan
Senior User
Probably wondering why anyone would respond to such an early post, but I was just looking at past Ranchero posts and actually came up with a fix for my '75:

The solution: thick cork/rubber gasket.

I replaced it because the smog inspector wouldn't accept the old cracked rubber one. I could not find a replacement cap so I bought a package of sheet gaskets containing various gasket materials which I then cut to size. I replaced it with the rubber but it dried out within a year. So then I tried the cork which was thicker but squishier so the cap goes on easy and it seals well. I thought it would not last because of cork being softer, but it has stayed in one piece for three years now!

Old 08-03-2004, 03:18 PM
spikedog
Posting Guru
A blast from the past - thanks for the info. Unfortunately, a car collector in Jackson Hole, WY now has my Ranchero (and all its problems). I replaced it with a '01 F-150 4x4 5.4L - doesn't go as fast but after owning the Ranchero for 20 years I was tired of it. I'll probably kick myself 10 years from now .......

Old 08-04-2004, 02:38 PM
LV Dan
Senior User
I'll be getting rid of mine soon. I was rear-ended and don't want to spend the money to fix it. Insurance didn't give me much. But it is still drivable so I continue until I get another fixer-upper on the road.

I can't blame you for going to a newer 4x4 truck. Your F-150 has a lot to offer over the Ranchero. The Ranchero only has one thing going for it: its now considered a classic.

Old 08-04-2004, 03:17 PM
spikedog
Posting Guru
Bummer about the rear-end - hard to find parts these days, eh? I hit a deer in '94 and messed up the front end, and I had to find my own replacement fender and hood. I could never find a new passenger-side headlight bezel, even from Dearborn Classics.

Yeah, if you didn't get too close to the old Ranchero it still looked pretty good, and I thought the body style was truly a classic. Haven't had the heart to update my avatar picture.

Old 08-04-2004, 03:29 PM
LV Dan
Senior User
I have all the parts you need! I have been thinking of parting mine out and could get more for it that way, but I hate to dismantle a driveable car!