2.3Ll with carb problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 07:01 AM
desperado_18_2000
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.3Ll with carb problems

I just picked up a nice 4cyl 5spd Ranger... it runs great, no smoke, but its a bear to crank when cold...and after its running, when you try to make it pick up speed it will "bog out" and not want to accelerate.

I've yet to make her pull past 3rd gear...and i don't know what to do about this progressive 2v carb i have.... (It may indeed be a 1v carb...but it has 2 barrels on top.)

Anybody have any suggestions to this new ranger owner? Or did i just make a $850 dollar mistake and shoot myself in the foot at the same time??

Any input is appreciated!

Old 05-11-2004, 07:54 PM
Dealford
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Have you checked for vacuum leaks?
A can of aerosol carb cleaner and a heavy dose of fuel system cleaner may help. Also, lube up the linkages as needed to make sure that they are not sticky at all.
Have you checked the timing yet?
Just a thought, have a look on the Holley site to see if they make a replacement carb for your truck.
P.S. Change the fuel filter and maybe check the fuel pressure.

Old 05-12-2004, 03:17 PM
desperado_18_2000
Posting Guru
Well i finally got the truck to idle right, and it kicks down off the choke perfectly...but its flooding...badly.

Its one of the Motorcraft progressive 2v's from the late 80's... Has a part # of E7TE so it should be the same vintage as my truck.

The Primary side of the carb, is soaked with fuel, you can tell its been flooding, and severely. The secondary side is dry, and looks to be sort of dirty/dusty.

The fuel filter(s) have been changed and are clear.

How hard is it to dissasemble/reassemble this carb? Anything specifically i need to know?

Also are there any carbs, say a motorcraft 2150 2v from the 70's era that i can interchange with this carb and have it bolt directly to my stock intake?

Any more input is welcomed!

Old 07-23-2004, 04:27 PM
kahrman
New User
The float in the carburetor may need to be changed or the needle may worn or clogged.