1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

P0340 Code HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 07:28 PM
99redranger
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P0340 Code HELP

I recently purchased a 99 ranger with the 2.5L 4 CYL. It has a problem on acceleration and cruising on the highway. It will buck kinda like it is missing. i have changed the plugs, wires O2 sensors, Timing Belt, And the Camshaft position sensor but the code continues to come back on after I clear it. I am stumped...Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Old 07-15-2008, 07:49 AM
Bear River
Former ******
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What kind of cam position sensor did you use? OEM? Anyone else have any ideas, have you had any computer updates?

Old 07-15-2008, 08:24 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Did you use the proper alignment tool & procedure, when replacing the cam sensor????

Was the cam sensors wiring, connector, pins & sockets all in good condition, no damaged wires, corroded, bent or pushed back pins or sockets & did the sensors connector lock securely into place & is the sensor securely fastened into place with ALL it's origional fastners????

Did you have the autoparts store check the new sensor before you left the store with it???? I've seen bad new parts, right out of the box.

Do you have any other trouble codes, if so, post ALL the codes you have.

BTW, welcome to FTE.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:25 AM
99redranger
New User
Originally Posted by Bear River
What kind of cam position sensor did you use? OEM? Anyone else have any ideas, have you had any computer updates?
The cam sensor came from auto zone. As far as computer updates nothing has been done it is bone stock.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:48 AM
99redranger
New User
PAWPAW, That is what was confusing. I have read many post about the cam sensor on the 3.0 L and how they use a special tool to align them but the one on my 2.5L 4 Cyl. is held on with just one bolt and has a aligning pin on the opposite side. It looked like it pointed to the back of the Crankshaft pulley from what I could see.

I also had a code for the O2 sensors and replaced them both.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:34 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by 99redranger
PAWPAW, That is what was confusing. I have read many post about the cam sensor on the 3.0 L and how they use a special tool to align them but the one on my 2.5L 4 Cyl. is held on with just one bolt and has a aligning pin on the opposite side. It looked like it pointed to the back of the Crankshaft pulley from what I could see.

I also had a code for the O2 sensors and replaced them both.
Your right, my bad, after 95 the 4 bangers cam position sensor is a simple bolt off/on removal proceedure. Just make sure it's electical connector, pins, sockets & wires are ok & that the connector & sensor securely fastened.

Is it still acting up, or is the problem just that the CEL is back on?????

If the CEL light is back on, you likey have other problems, maybe a vacuum leak.

A vacuum leak thats bad enough such that the computer can't compensate fuel trim enough to allow for it, could set O2 sensor lean codes & maybe cause driveability problems.
This doesn't mean that the O2 sensors are bad, just that they are getting & sensing a upstream lean condition!!!!

So rescan the computer & post ALL the trouble code Numbers found & the KOEO & KOER sequence in which they were found.

Also in the meantime you might look for disconnected, dryrotted, loose fiting, vacuum hoses, as our 99 vintage rides are getting to the point that rubber things begin to go bad, or maybe you knocked one loose, or forgot to reconnect one, while working underhood!!!!

More thoughts for pondering.
Let us know what you find.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:10 AM
99redranger
New User
PAWPAW, Thank you for all the input!

The CEL is not on but the P0340 code is there when I scan it. I have erased it with my scanner and disconneted the battery to be sure it was gone. After about 15 minutes of driving it comes back but does not throw the CEL.

It is still acting up and I have stopped driving it until I figure it out. I will do some more checking of the connections and the vacuum lines tonight. Once again thanks for your response.