replaced injector pump on a 90 7.3L

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2001, 06:45 AM
eiznekcm
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys,
I just replaced the injector pump on my 1990 7.3L. It now smokes black all of the time, and it doesn't seem to have the power it should. Could I have gotten the pump out of time? If so, what can I do to set the timing? Is this something I can do myself? I follwed the instructions that came with the pump, and the instructions in the Chilton's manual. My tach has stopped working also. I figure the tach is a loose wire somewhere, I just don't know where.

Old 04-18-2001, 04:23 AM
fordiesel69
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

First of all, you need to give a little more info. There are two possible things that I can think of that you did wrong.

1.) Got a 6.9 injection pump instead of a 7.3 injection pump.
2.) Took the timing gear cover off and did not install the gear in the right position.

The injection pumps are different for the 6.9's and 7.3's because they are calibrated differntly. Also when you replaced the pump you should have been able to get the pump out without removing the timing cover. If you removed the timing cover when installing the pump, don't drive the truck until you get the timing set back to nomal, I have seen holes blown right throught the center of the pistons because of incorrect timing.

If you need more info on how to set the timing gears, let me know and I will send you a diagram.

1986 F-250 6.9 diesel,4x4,XLT Lariat,Ex Cab, 8'bed,etc...

Old 04-18-2001, 06:38 AM
eiznekcm
Senior User

Thanks for the reply. I know it is the right pump. I got the gear out of time a little. I followed the Chilton manual. It said to put #1 at TDC and the gear at 4 o'clock. Well I did that, but was at about 4:02. I moved the gear back two teeth and it is much better now. No more smoking and a lot more power. I now need to know if setting the dynamic timing is something I can do, or should I take it to someone to have it done? I do not have the timing tools. Are they expensive? Is it cheaper to let someone( Ford dealership?) do it for me?
Any info is appreciated.
By the way, Tach is fixed. Loose connector on the Cam Position Sensor.
Craig

Old 04-19-2001, 03:25 AM
The Diesel Dude
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

More likely you got a pump calibrated to the 7.3 turbo specifications or, as stated in the previous post, you got it out of time. Bring the timing mark on the vibration damper to align with the timing indicator on the front cover. Take the access cover for the injection pump gear off and screw the access cover screws in a couple threads and lay a straight edge across the screws (the dowell pin should be at 4 o'clock -- If it is not rotate the engine one complete revolution to align the mark on the vibration damper again with the timing indicator). Looking straight on at the straight edge, the left pump gear bolt (passenger side) should be slightly higher than the right (driver side) bolt. If it is not you are out of time and you'll need to remove the pump gear cover to reset the timing gear. The cam gear has a dot and a "Y" marked on it. The dot aligns with a corresponding dot on the crank gear that you won't be able to see and the "Y" aligns with a "Y" on the pump gear (I think you can see the "Y" on the cam gear with an inspection mirror). Once you've located the "Y" on the cam gear, mark the tooth on either side of it with a paint marker or any suitable marker. Then with the gear removed from the pump, drop the "Y" in between those 2 marks, reinstall the cover using RTV to seal it and reinstall the pump. You may have to have the dynamic timing adjusted by the Ford dealer. If it still runs for crap, the pump is no good.

Old 04-19-2001, 04:30 AM
fordiesel69
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

"Better" is not perfect for diesel timing. On a gasser you can be 4 degrees out of time one way or the other and not notice to much change or cause any damage. On a diesel the timing gear has to be in the exact position. Then you should be abe to align the marks from the injection pump to the gear cover. Then you need to make an appiontment with an IH dealer near by to have them dynamically time it. I recommend an IH dealer to do this because they are more experienced than ford.

If you have the timing to far retarded (2 degrees or less) you will not damage the engine, but you not have adaquate power. If the engine is to far advanced (2 degrees or more) you can dameage the top end due to detenation damage especially at high speeds.

I recommend taking it in and getting it dynammically timed as soon as possible!

1986 F-250 6.9 diesel,4x4,XLT Lariat,Ex Cab, 8'bed,etc...

Old 04-19-2001, 11:49 AM
caelcamino71
New User