Enlighten me about propane injection!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 06:56 PM
bigdieseldav
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enlighten me about propane injection!!

Ok guys, i've done everything to my truck that i wanted to thus far with the exception of the mysterious propane injection. I say mysterious because I will not spend 600-800 $ on something that i believe to be quite simple, if one only knew what parts the kits consisted of. After about 1.5 months of reading as much information as could be found, I have decided that I am going to let em' hang and do it. I know what the basic parts consist of, but i read things that claim the propane can be fed into the intake system at variable rates in relation to boost pressures??? Makes no sense to me. I can understand a flow or no flow cycle based on a preset boost level that will actuate the regulator, but to actually vary the psi of the flow going into the engine seems unobtainable if not dangerous as I've read that less then 2psi propane flow is not desirable or efficient while 5+ is the borderline between running well and pinging. So help me out and offer as much info as you have. I will be doing the install myself because i think for the cost of the parts involved compared to the cost of the kits is rediculous. I'm looking forward to getting it done, but want to give all the guys here with good information time to enlighten me. Thanks fellas. And i will post results after the install is complete if I don't blow something up

Old 05-21-2004, 03:22 AM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
I can understand a flow or no flow cycle based on a preset boost level that will actuate the regulator, but to actually vary the psi of the flow going into the engine seems unobtainable if not dangerous as I've read that less then 2psi propane flow is not desirable or efficient while 5+ is the borderline between running well and pinging.
Getting proportional flow is the tricky part. The Powershot2000 system I have does exactly that. Once the propane begins to flow at my preset "trigger", it will increase flow all the way up to WOT. You can adjust the rate of flow on the Powershot, so you can avoid pinging at higher boost levels.
I can set the point at which the propane begins to flow. It can be set at any boost level you want. Mine is currently set to start flowing when I hit 3.5psi boost. Most are a little more conservative, and set theirs to come on at 4 or 5 psi.
When I first installed my system, I was tripping the safety valve on the tank, because I was exceeding 7cfm flow through the system. I replaced that valve with one that has a higher threshold, and now am flowing in the neighborhood of 10cfm propane flow at WOT.
The pinging you want to avoid it from too much propane in relation to the amount of fuel/air that is being introduced into the cylinder. I can turn my propane system down slightly by either delaying the start pressure, reducing the overall flow rate, or reducing the line pressure. Once I found my ideal settings, I know I can flow maximum propane under all conditions without danger of pinging.
I hope this answers some of your questions.

Old 05-21-2004, 07:53 AM
powershotone
Junior User
You can build your own, but it is risky and it will be only an on/off type flow without any way to control it and the parts you use will be modified to serve your purpose and then may not perform propely and malfunction. You may get pinging, which is detonation, and the warning sign of too much propane flow with no way to adjust it and damage your engine.

The Powershot's regulator and design is patented. The variable flow rate, controlled and proportionate to boost pressure, makes it safe and very driveable and very different from anything else you can buy or make. You can adjust it to your particualr driving style or for performance or towing. So while a manufactured system may seem to be expensive, it will work, right out of the box and why would you take a risk with your engine or safety .

Old 05-21-2004, 05:48 PM
bigdieseldav
Senior User
the reason i considered doing it myself in the first place is because i believed there actually was no way for the system to increase or decrease the rate of flow based on boost levels and in turn decided that was no different than a home made system. Now in light of the fact I have testimonials from individuals who have the powershot and confirm the varying flow based on boost, I ordered it I'll still post what Quadzilla refered to as "butt dyno" results. Thanks guys, that was exactly what i was looking for when i started this thread. Have a great weekend.