General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Code Enforcement

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 04:59 PM
3broncocrazy
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What kind of cars? Sounds like a possible project........When he's drunk, offer 'em a $20 and your project begins
2the dump, 2the dump, 2the dump - dump - dump - ......

Old 05-18-2004, 05:13 PM
TJC1989
Senior User
Originally Posted by bigjack
This thread makes me glad that I live on 45 acres in the country, as if I needed another reason.
Sounds wonderful. Got room for me BigJack?? LOL

Old 05-18-2004, 06:11 PM
Howdy
Posting Guru
Everyone else in the neighborhood with pets either have them fenced in or walk with them on a leash when they're outside. Why would I want to let his actions cost me thousands in re-sale value of my home as well as his?
I have lived in this neighborhood, off and on for 28 years and in the house I'm in now for over 16. Most of the houses around here were built in the 70's or older. When I moved in I was the kid on the block with most of the neighbors being old, retired folks, except for the cute brunette that lived next door.

The lady next door now has grey hair and for a number of years I had a good time going to the estate sales that the neighbors middle aged kids put on. Usually, the new neighbors aren't bad people, but more than a few of the houses have become rentals. Long story short, it has gone downhill in the last 20 years. If I had bought this house new in 72 the cost was $18,000. When I bought it was $34,000. Today, the fixers around me are selling for $115,000. So, even though the quality has deteriorated, it hasn't affected value.

Recently, 3 houses up the hill from me they evicted a family that had lived there for a little while, maybe 8 or 9 years. It took three, 20ft dumpsters to clean the place up. I talked to the new owner the other day, still had the gleam in his eye from the, "no money down," seminar. I asked him when he was moving in. He avoided that and went on and on how cleaning up the place would improve property values. He bought the place for $95k. I've looked the place over. By the time he cleans, fixes all the problems and pays closing, it'll be probably 3 years before he breaks even. It hasn't affected the value of my home. Houses on the street are still being bought and sold for the same amount. In fact, if didn't mow my lawn for the next three years, I'll still come out better than the new neighbor that's never moving in.

It's market driven. When you have, "elements," moving in to the neighborhood it just means it's getting older. If you live in a house, not to be a home, but for investment purposes - this might be a sign to take what equity you have and move into something newer. Eventually, you will move into a neighborhood where the homes are so expensive, the riff raff would not be able to afford the most rundown of homes.

That should be the business plan. Yes, you can do this, too! Just send $50 for a book I wrote....

Old 05-18-2004, 10:07 PM
F150daniel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"biggest dog charged me from his yard into mine. My wife was standing on the porch with my son and she yelled at me to watch out. I stood there waiting for the dog to attack me so I would have an excuse to kill it or take his butt to court."

Spartanburg, SC Leash law says that if a dog is on your property and is threatening and/or damaging you, anyone, or your property, you have the legal right to kill that dog. 6 dogs got SSS'd for killing or trying to kill my chickens. One neighbor's chow killed 49 of my chickens (did not eat one, just killed to kill) and dad killed it with the shotgun. The neighbor called the police "to file a report," when the police came they informed him of the leash law and said dad was in the right. He moved the next month... wonder why.

SSS= Shoot Shovel and Shut up.
Charging = threatening

Old 05-19-2004, 07:45 AM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
I wonder if all four of those cars are registered with the City/County? I'll bet the County would love to know if they are not receiving due moneys for current car registration and tags.

As for the dogs, if a dog is roaming the neighborhood with no tags or identification on it, it could be taken down to the City Animal Shelter as a stray. Or calling animal control to come pick it up might be another option.

Old 05-19-2004, 08:16 AM
amsnss
Senior User
Originally Posted by cigarxtc
I wonder if all four of those cars are registered with the City/County? I'll bet the County would love to know if they are not receiving due moneys for current car registration and tags.

As for the dogs, if a dog is roaming the neighborhood with no tags or identification on it, it could be taken down to the City Animal Shelter as a stray. Or calling animal control to come pick it up might be another option.

The way the law in our county works, your car doesn't have to be registered, tagged, or insured to own it. If you're driving the car, then all of the above applies, but if it's just sitting there, they could care less.

Like I mentioned before with the dogs, he keeps them either in the house or gated in on his front porch 99% of the time. When he lets them out to use the bathroom is when they start roaming the neighborhood and causing havoc.

Old 05-19-2004, 08:28 AM
Mud_Hunter
Senior User
......move

Old 05-19-2004, 08:48 AM
76supercab2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry, the property value argument just doesn't convince me. As a home owner I don't want to have my property value go down. At the same time I refuse to let anyone else tell me what to do on my property. When shopping I told my agent that condos and home owners associations were out and she shouldn't waste hers or my time looking at them. If anyone wants a say as to what happens on my little kingdom, they can pony up to a few house payment for me. Till then they have no say.

I currently have a neighbor who parks his travel trailer in his back yard, has atv all over the place, and even has his vehicles overflow onto property across the street that isn't his. He has a derelict lawn tractor that hasn't moved since I did and he hires his grass cut. Along with the mower is an assorted pile of trash that is so close to the as yet unmarked property line that it may actually be on my property. I haven't said a word to this neighbor about this situation because I want the same thing he does -- to be left alone. This very same neighbor put up a fuss when the excavator arrived to start work on a garage that I had permits to build. He had the stones to come onto my property to my front door and call me a liar to my face. I let all that go. I now have my garage and he still has the mess in his yard. So I guess we both are happy.

As for your situation,
1. build a tall fence.
2. buy his house from him.
3. move.
4. wait him out.

Anything else you try to do to force him to behave the way you want can not turn out well for either of you.

Old 05-19-2004, 08:58 AM
dzervit
Senior User
Excellent post, 76super. I've had some 'interesting' neighbors, and have outlasted them all. Just let it roll off you and live in your world.

But if you have to do something, please refer to my earlier post.

Old 05-19-2004, 09:46 AM
cwb
Posting Guru
A good offense is the best defense.

Old 05-19-2004, 10:46 AM
buzzard
Logistics Pro
Anonymity by you and other neighbors in this situation is tantamount to being a chicken#@&%. All this will do is cause him to be more belligerent, especially if he feels like a gang is attacking him. Confront the guy in a polite way. Explain your position and express your concerns (use the family/children as a trump card). If he has a single ounce of decency he’ll realize he’s made some errors in judgment. You definitely don’t want to be on this guy’s chit-list. Based on your description, he’s certainly not afraid of going (back) to jail.

If this doesn't work and he threatens you or your family don't hesitate to "overreact." Chances are the DA and cops don't like this guy anyway and wouldn't even pursue a case against you.

Good Luck.

Old 05-19-2004, 10:57 AM
yomow
Elder User
Hey now !!! I love this one My 1965 cc sb Has no personal property Taxes local or state. & not only that They give me a Free county sticker for my windsheild , & no state inspection if I drive no more then 150 miles one way. !!!! This is great & my Ins. is cheaper to $156.00 for $20,000.00 ins. Per year

Don

Old 05-19-2004, 11:22 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 76supercab2
Sorry, the property value argument just doesn't convince me. As a home owner I don't want to have my property value go down. At the same time I refuse to let anyone else tell me what to do on my property. When shopping I told my agent that condos and home owners associations were out and she shouldn't waste hers or my time looking at them. If anyone wants a say as to what happens on my little kingdom, they can pony up to a few house payment for me. Till then they have no say.

I currently have a neighbor who parks his travel trailer in his back yard, has atv all over the place, and even has his vehicles overflow onto property across the street that isn't his. He has a derelict lawn tractor that hasn't moved since I did and he hires his grass cut. Along with the mower is an assorted pile of trash that is so close to the as yet unmarked property line that it may actually be on my property. I haven't said a word to this neighbor about this situation because I want the same thing he does -- to be left alone. This very same neighbor put up a fuss when the excavator arrived to start work on a garage that I had permits to build. He had the stones to come onto my property to my front door and call me a liar to my face. I let all that go. I now have my garage and he still has the mess in his yard. So I guess we both are happy.

As for your situation,
1. build a tall fence.
2. buy his house from him.
3. move.
4. wait him out.

Anything else you try to do to force him to behave the way you want can not turn out well for either of you.
I totally agree with you that you should be able to do what you want with your property...

BUT !

If I've spent 500K on a home in a subdivision with 1 and 2 acres tracks with the stipulation that those kind of situations WON'T happen, then who is at fault ?

Our constitution says we all have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness...
and how much happiness do I have in my own yard if I have to worry about someone else's dog poop in my yard - or the view I bought the place for is ruined thanks to a pack rat ....

What I am saying is that we can both have what we want, just not in the same place... And that is the sole purpose of subdivision restrictions...
the way you should look at it is the restrictions were there before you moved in, don't move in if you don't intend to follow the rules...

Just like I have the right to smoke without forcing you to breathe it !!!!

Last edited by jdadamsjr; 05-19-2004 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-19-2004, 02:19 PM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Over the years I've had problems with neighbors who's pets roam onto my place and leave their calling cards. Two things work wonders. #1, buy some bulk cayanne pepper and sprinkle it where the animal will sniff it. #2, works well for dogs that are indoors all night, put a few exlax tablets in a small piece of hotdog and leave it close to the most recent calling card the neighbors dog deposited in your front yard. Dog eats, goes home for the night, and, well, you know the rest. I only had to do it one time and I never said a word. I never had a problem again.

As for trying to escape by fleeing to acreage, that brings new problems in some cases. Packs of dogs running loose, Cougars sunning on your deck, dear destroying planted and desired vegetation, lots of acres for the neighbors to deposit their junk cars/motorhomes/travel trailers/boats/ancient mobile homes/construction waste/appliances/old motorcycles/household garbage for you to lookat, and people dumping junk like old furniture on the road in front of your place at are just a few of the many things that people I know personally have experienced. There is no perfect answer.

A buddy of mine gave his neighbor a live stock watering tank; it's about 6' wide x 30" deep. He thought they would use it for their horses and a few other critters they have running around. BIG MISTAKE. Instead, they turned it into the biggest trash can in the state of Washington, filling it to overflowing with household waste. Never think about sprinking some diesel on it and burning once in awhile either as that might be hard on the environment; instead, leave it as be so the stench will drift 1/2 mile away for everyone else to enjoy. I guess no good dead goes unpunished.

Last edited by CowboyBilly9Mile; 05-19-2004 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-19-2004, 02:54 PM
amsnss
Senior User
My whole point that I'm trying to make on this matter is, why have the regulations if there is no way to enforce them? My home is the 3rd home in this development and his was built 1 year ago (approx 3 years after mine). Everyone in the neighborhood knows that there are rules and regulations to abide by, and these were outlined to the purchasers by the contractor who owned the lots at the time of closing. So my thought is, if everyone around me is aware that these regulations exist, why should I believe that he is completely oblivious to them?

Quick Reply: Code Enforcement