1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Rear mount-side fill gas tank, has anyone done this set?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 09:35 PM
Trader Bob
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear mount-side fill gas tank, has anyone done this set?

Thinking of putting gas tank in the rear but I don't care for the fill being in the bed. I know I can get a tank and a c-notch for the frame. If anyone has made this move and have or know where to look at some pictures that would be great. , thanks, Bob

Old 04-21-2004, 11:09 PM
cabby daddy
Senior User
i have mounted a rear mount tank from a early 90's suburban in the frame rails, and put a buick gas door on the side of the 50 f1 panel, the fill neck comes out of the top of the tank, goes between the frame and the flooring, wraps around the wheel well and the filler is in the left fender, should be some picks in my gallery.

Old 04-22-2004, 10:03 AM
Trader Bob
Senior User
Thanks for the help, on a pickup the frame needs to be notched, on your panel it sounds like that wasn't the case. Thanks, Bob

Old 04-22-2004, 04:19 PM
truckbuff
Junior User
Bob., I am using a gas tank and skid plate from a Jeep cj. The tank is 15 gallon and they come in steel or plastic. I have the tank, skid plate, electric fuel pump, fuel filter & sending unit mounted. The fill & vent hoses will come out the driver side between the frame & the bed. I am going to mount the fill cap on the driver side rear fender. Right now the bed & fenders are not on the truck. I can send pictures if you are interested.

Old 04-22-2004, 09:58 PM
Trader Bob
Senior User
Hi, to see some pictures would be great, thanks, Bob

Old 04-23-2004, 07:55 AM
truckbuff
Junior User
Bob, send me an email or regular mail address. I don't have a gallery & I don't know how to post pictures on the F.T.E. site. Thanks, Brian (truckbuff@aol.com).

Old 04-24-2004, 07:01 PM
ke6bnl
Senior User
Originally Posted by Trader Bob
Thinking of putting gas tank in the rear but I don't care for the fill being in the bed. I know I can get a tank and a c-notch for the frame. If anyone has made this move and have or know where to look at some pictures that would be great. , thanks, Bob
I purchased an aluminum tank from Kustom tanks and had them have it exit the top left rear side. I had to move the rear frame support and drill a hole with a hole saw for the aluminum filler through the frame and I went to pick your parts and got the side out of a 1988 Ford Probe and got the oval gas door assembly including the filler tube and it took no more then about 1 hour to cut and weld it into the rear fender for a super clean custom look. I read and article about the Hagan door install and that gave the knowlege to do the install.. I have pictures but also do not know who to display on the site but can forward if intrested. My first of this type of install and proud of it Ed ke6bnl

Old 04-25-2004, 11:11 AM
Trader Bob
Senior User
Hi Ed, thanks for the info, I would like to see the pics if you can e-mail them to me. Bob

Old 04-25-2004, 03:00 PM
Glackowitz
Senior User
There are a couple of F-100's running around in my area...a 58 and a 59. that have side fill tanks, the filler necks are in the bed rear of the wheel wheel well. the neck is about 8" above the floor and is boxed in on the inside of the bed. I havent had a chance to look at them closely or to talk to the guys on them. It looks good, but I would prefer a driver side fill. Im sure there was some cutting to get them in there. the boxed in area is 6 inches wide and the height of the filler and about 5-6" deep

Glack

Old 04-25-2004, 04:06 PM
ke6bnl
Senior User
Smile

Originally Posted by Trader Bob
Hi Ed, thanks for the info, I would like to see the pics if you can e-mail them to me. Bob

I was able to down load the pictures of the gas filler door in the left rear fender it is in the Gallery under Ed'/50 F1.

Old 04-25-2004, 07:13 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 733 Likes on 262 Posts
isuzu tank answer

Bob,

several years back June/96 CCT ran an article on installing a isuzu rodeo ( i think) tank in a f-100... c notched the left frame rail and ran the filler to the left rear fender if I rmember right. you might try finding that article ... if you don't have it I probably have a zeroxed copy somewhere at work I can fax or mail you... might be able to scan it in and email if the copy is good enough..

later

john -X06

Old 04-25-2004, 09:59 PM
Trader Bob
Senior User
Originally Posted by ke6bnl
I was able to down load the pictures of the gas filler door in the left rear fender it is in the Gallery under Ed'/50 F1.
Thanks Ed, nice job on the fill door/fender. Bob

Old 04-25-2004, 10:09 PM
Trader Bob
Senior User
Originally Posted by jniolon
Bob,

several years back June/96 CCT ran an article on installing a isuzu rodeo ( i think) tank in a f-100... c notched the left frame rail and ran the filler to the left rear fender if I rmember right. you might try finding that article ... if you don't have it I probably have a zeroxed copy somewhere at work I can fax or mail you... might be able to scan it in and email if the copy is good enough..

later

john -X06

Hi John, thanks, copy via email would be great. How many gallons is a isuzu tank? Bob

Old 04-26-2004, 08:38 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 733 Likes on 262 Posts
bob,

I sent you email..

john

Old 05-22-2004, 04:59 PM
Matt Scassero
Junior User
If you are still working it...

I did this exact thing and it has worked well. Brought it out the top curve at the rear of the driver side rear fender. The only issue I have had with it is if you go to refuel with the truck leaning to the driver side (slight incline at the pumps) the fuel will pool in the filler hose between the bends at the bed and the tank, and it will take a month of Sunday's to fill your tank. Just pay attention when you pull into the pumps.

Matt and "Toulouse" '48 F-1

Quick Reply: Rear mount-side fill gas tank, has anyone done this set?