Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4R100 Transmission Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 09:37 PM
Sader
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My dipstick was reading on one side and not the other. I thought it was odd but added slowly and now it reads across the dipstick properly.

Cheers

Old 04-27-2011, 09:26 AM
ht99vpi
Freshman User
Okay so after reading the majority of the thread, I gather that the recommendation here is to flush the tranny even if you do not know if it has ever been flushed or changed? I have 184,000 on the Ex now and know it had 2 previous owners that did not tow. I however do tow and was planning on flushing the tranny until my local shop at the state inspection said if I did not know if it has ever been flushed they do not recommend doing so with such high miles. The color is browinsh red. So back to my first question I should flush with regular or semi syn tranny oil?

Old 04-27-2011, 09:57 AM
locknload223
Posting Guru
Brownish red fluid and did you know when the last change was? I'd change it anyway. At the very least you'll have a baseline with fresh fluid. Don't get the term flushing and changing too mixed up. Most here mean a complete change when they say flush. When you pay for a flush, shops will use a chemical to 'flush' the system then add new fluid.

I'm doing a complete change via the instructions here either after work or Friday. I picked up 5 gallons of Valvoline Max Life fluid and a filter. The fluid cost a little more but it gets really good reviews. I think as long as you watch the temps on your tranny, you'd be fine with regular fluid. You won't hurt anything using synthetic though.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:54 AM
jrings
New User
I will chime in for my $0.02. After spending a lot of time reading the posts in this thread I was completely ready to do the full transfer of fluid myself. I decided to call my mechanic that I trust (because he will let me sit in his shop and watch the work being done) and they quoted me $124 to hook it up and do the full transfer with the recommended fluid. I decided that for all the hassle of having to dispose of the used juice and mess I was sure to make I let them do it. Can't beat the price and I know it was done right. I opted for standard fluid vs. synthetic because my truck is not an everyday driver.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:59 AM
ht99vpi
Freshman User
@locknload223, That is part of my concern is I do not know when the fluid was last changed if at all. I was all set to do it myself which i still plan on doing but was caught off gaurd when the shop said they did not recomend it if it has never been changed. Most shops want your money so it made me stop and wonder. The most I have this shop do is state inspections but they have always been honest and truthful to me.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:18 AM
locknload223
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ht99vpi
@locknload223, That is part of my concern is I do not know when the fluid was last changed if at all. I was all set to do it myself which i still plan on doing but was caught off gaurd when the shop said they did not recomend it if it has never been changed. Most shops want your money so it made me stop and wonder. The most I have this shop do is state inspections but they have always been honest and truthful to me.

Sorry if I missed it in a previous post but was the shop going to change all the fluid by pushing new fluid through or a chemical flush? That may give some insight to their recommendation.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:22 AM
ht99vpi
Freshman User
Originally Posted by locknload223
Sorry if I missed it in a previous post but was the shop going to change all the fluid by pushing new fluid through or a chemical flush? That may give some insight to their recommendation.
That is a good point I suppose if it was a chemical flush then that could cause problems I did not talk the shop myself my wife did so I did not have the oportunity to ask. Thank you for the good point. Well I guess I will plan a fluid change before my next big trip unless some one else pipes in with a good reason not to change the fluid.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:27 AM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
I think the shop doesn't want to do it because they don't want the liability if something goes wrong due to the fluid has never been changed. If something does go wrong after the fluid change, it is not because of the fluid change, but something was bound to go wrong due to the neglect by the PO. It would be hard for the shop to prove that they didn't do something wrong.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:50 PM
ZBIGBIG19TH
Elder User
Just do it yourself ,new fluid can't damage anything,old fluid will.
If they're using chemicals ,no wonder things might go wrong.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:35 PM
TXSailor
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did the fluid "flush" and change myself recently. It's not a big deal just takes a little time as the trans will pump the fluid out by itself.

Used about 28 qts of Mercon V in the flush and refill but that includes adding the 31 row cooler which probalby takes an extra 2 qts. Also added a fluid filter at the same time as well as changing out the "filter' in the tranny pan.

I've put a couple of thousand miles on it so far and I'm comfortable it was a success.

Don't be afraid to tackle the job as it is easily done in the driveway.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:21 PM
RobertH
Tuned
Have been told by more than one transmission mechanic in the past and read about it so seems common knowledge to keep old fluid if lots of miles. At some point, when it goes, it goes, but putting in new fluid can accellerate the process since the new fluid will begin to clean up the shellac or old dirt/fluid contaminates and can quickly restrict the filter causing less fluid to pump to all components causing damage.
For that reason, the Buick Roadmaster Wagon I bought never had it changed. Not going to change it either until it goes. So far so good and no signs of issue. However, I stayed on my X and was diligent about changing every 30K and at 120K she is doing great and the internal pan and filter is clean every time I change it now. So I feel good about it.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:44 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by RobertH
Have been told by more than one transmission mechanic in the past and read about it so seems common knowledge to keep old fluid if lots of miles.
I used to hear about pop rocks and coke killing people too, that didn't make it true.

While old fluid versus new might have been correct "back in the day", when it comes to the 4R100 and the fluids that were used in that trans, new fluid is always better than old fluid.

A person is better off changing the fluid and replacing it with new if there's any question as to how old it is.

Stewart

Old 04-29-2011, 06:57 AM
RobertH
Tuned
You might be right, but who is going to gamble with it? Would not be me. I think that when a mechanic tells me it is going to cost me sooner by changing, then he is on my side.
If a mechanic was not honest, he would tell me to go ahead and change it if he knew it would blow it sooner so he can get me in the shop.

Once the abuse line is crossed, I think it is a gamble. I would question that the fluid is better than in past since Mercon has been around for a very long time and mechanic's still say the same thing. Mercon V? I think it is much better and would agree.

How many transmission did I go through in my years? Too many. Especially on my GM's. Fords so far are great! But, I change my fluid and filter. Didn't on the GM's. But they never made it past 100K before blowing up. Always asked mechanic to diagnose issue. They always came back and said it was due to no filter and fluid change. Said fluid was not getting out all the parts likely due to restricted fluid flow from filter not being changed. Go figure. So, I am now religious on changing both.
But, on the flip side, they said once you go too far, the dirt that has accumulated on the clutches and discs will be removed if you change the fluid and will quickly clog the filter and that is why the trans goes out faster if you change the fluid if normal maintenance schedules were not followed.

Bottom line, is for someone to ask the question of changing fluid after 180K miles, I think I would just keep going since it is a blessing it has not failed so far. If it ain't broke......

But that is just me.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:01 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I was a believer in that as well but have seen the light. I change the fluids in everything now no matter the miles.

I'd recommend change the fluid to anyone no matter the miles as well.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:05 AM
TXSailor
Senior User
I agree with Stewart regarding fluid changes but like RobertH I rely on my mechanic's advice as well. It just so happens the Mechanic (of over 60 + years) is my Father as well. He specialized in Transmission work at dealerships for all three of the US major auto makers. He said change it following Manufacturer's reccomendations.

Everyone works from their own perspective and experience and we all rely on input from those "more expereinced" than ourselves but it boils down to a personal choice.. In my case, my "Mechanic" has had significant influence on me for a very long time.............................

D.

Quick Reply: 4R100 Transmission Fluid Change