Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Toyota Takes Ford to #3

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 08:47 PM
ck1404
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You can argue those numbers forever, but weight matters the most. I simply do not like Ford adding about 500 pounds to these trucks - depending on trim level, some more some less. The new engine would have been a really serious engine on the old platform, which I think is a pretty good one for a light-truck chassis. Maybe Ford is building this hugely massed up frame to handle a heavy six cylinder diesel - I for one, hope so.

In the meantime, the gas engines suffer in the wake of what looks like better technology from Nissan in a truck that weighs about the same as the new F-150. I think Toyota is right behind them.

I'm having a hard time understanding Ford's direction - hope they have one. I still say my next new Ford truck is most likely to be the last production year of the older chassis - 2003, with what should come with redesigned heads on the 5.4 - yes a used truck and I have to deal with 4X4. That's a hard market in which to spot a really good truck that hasn't been abused - but I think that is all Ford is leaving me at the moment.

Old 01-25-2004, 10:04 PM
ck1404
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I forgot and meant to add this to my last comment - seems to me like Ford sold off to New Holland a long time ago. I will stand corrected, but I don't think Ford makes any little tractors any more and maybe not even big tractors any more either.

I know folks that think their older Ford little tractors are the best thing on the planet, then they turned into New Holland tractors and I think those are pretty good too. But I think Ford has managed to diversify out of that area. Wish Ford still made little purpose-built tractors as I could use one myself.

Old 01-26-2004, 01:23 AM
AlfredB1979
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by ck1404

I'm having a hard time understanding Ford's direction - hope they have one. I still say my next new Ford truck is most likely to be the last production year of the older chassis - 2003, with what should come with redesigned heads on the 5.4 - yes a used truck and I have to deal with 4X4. That's a hard market in which to spot a really good truck that hasn't been abused - but I think that is all Ford is leaving me at the moment.

As much as I like my Ranger and I have nothing against Ford....I doubt Ford can afford to have direction when they are basically giving away vehicles and making nothing off of them. GM is making about $15 per rig right now, so it's not like they are getting too far. Oh, that new Equinox will have a 6-cylinder engine made in China!

The once Big 3 is now reaping what they sowed. They made crap while the Asian makers made what people demanded--for the most part. Burn that bridge with the consumer and you won't see them ever again. Spend money to make a better product or waste it. Any business owner knows that!!!

P.S. We don't need a v8 Ranger....Ranger = #1 selling compact truck WITHOUT a v8, FWIW. CAFE matters, too. Ford can't afford the fines from that racket....

Old 01-26-2004, 07:29 AM
95CobraR
Tuned
Re: Toyota Takes Ford to #3

Originally posted by 455 Jet
Ford has some decision making to do. Don't get me wrong, I love my truck and the Ford reputation, but in national news today, Toyota has claimed the #2 spot in worldwide truck sales moving Ford to #3. Chevy is #1. Is standard performance the biggest issue Ford has to tackle?
I think many of you are too pessimistic. I hope the people in charge at Ford don't also think they are beaten.

The media announced that Toyota had barely overtaken Ford in total UNIT sales worldwide. Toyota includes all vechicles sold. Ford is not allowed to count Mazda (which it controls). Ford does include Jag, Aston Martin, and Volvo (which it owns 100%).

Toyota was able to barely edge Ford in W.W. sales because of Japanese law which does not allow Ford (or GM and D/C) to compete and build plants in Japan.

Ford had revenues of $160B (worldwide) vs. 147.8B for Toyota. That is over $12,000,000,000 in real money. What is more important in your checking account? Money or units?

Ford outsells Toyota in the United States 3.5 million vechicles to 1.9 million. Ford outsells Toyota in Canada and Europe.

The big 2 1/2 (Ford, GM, and the half of D/C that isn't German) gets alot of bad press. People like negative news more than positive news. Who started the two most profitable platforms that sell today? Not Toyota, not Nissian (the only two Japanese manufacturers that are not owned by the Big 2 1/2). Ford, Chrysler, and GM led the industry into SUVs and trucks. Toyota and Nissan are trying to catch up now. They may sell 100,000 each. Ford sells 800,000 F150's per year. Toyota has made 200,000 V-8 motors. Ford has made 100,000,000 V-8 motors.

Is competition tough? Yes. Will Ford and GM give up and give it to them? No. Will Ford and GM need to step up and give 'em a fight? Yes. Will we all be driving Japanese trucks and speaking Japanese in 10-20 years? Hell no.

Last edited by 95CobraR; 01-26-2004 at 07:32 AM.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:05 AM
MEPR
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
fords do tend to have a flatter power line. But i think what they should do to fix the f-150 is put lower axle gaers in it and do a 5speed. Or maybe do an HD package whith say 4.10gears and a 6speed manual, i would buy on of them!

Old 01-26-2004, 11:41 AM
jcreality
Senior User
MEPR??
Not to get side-tracked....but talk's cheap.
A HD package DOES exist with those gears and a 6-sp manual.
Go buy the F250 or 350.
But if you are saying that your interest is in the newly-designed stlye of the current F150, well then I can agree and tip my hat to you, but must say...

Start saving your money to put it where your comment is, cuz they are coming to the marketplace in '07.

Old 01-26-2004, 01:19 PM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jcreality
Start saving your money to put it where your comment is, cuz they are coming to the marketplace in '07.
Could you clarify that statement? I thought manuals were coming in '05?

Old 01-26-2004, 01:44 PM
sinister73
Elder User
There will be no manual transmission F150. Not now, and not ever. You guys can tell yourselves whatever you want, it's not coming. And don't go looking for a diesel 1/2 ton anytime soon either - unless your looking at Dodge. The new F150 is a commuters "truck" and nothing more, it does have an impressive frame and carrying / towing capability - WITH the payload upgrade(which is only available with 2wd reg cab I believe) but all this serves to do is to give you a Lexus with decent pulling capability-nothing wrong with that, but come on- serious work trucks? please.

Old 01-26-2004, 01:57 PM
sinister73
Elder User
My mistake , the increased payload pkg is available across the model line up- I know I read otherwise somewhere, but it does not matter- somethings about these vehicles are impressive- though overall they are still not very truck like, and definately not to my liking- to each his own.

Old 01-26-2004, 06:29 PM
MEPR
Elder User
well i think the idea of a lexus that will tow is worthless. I would rather have a revival of the cloth bench seat fords that let you feel the road but will pull a mountain down. That said i think they should also bring back an inline six, to hell whith these new gutless v-8s. Bring back the cast iron dinasours that worked...

Old 01-26-2004, 08:23 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by ck1404
I don't think it matters. Yes, the Toyota Corporation, includes the entire family. I also think that the Ford numbers include the entire family, including the "Premier" auto group - in other words Jaguar, Volvo, Rover, etc. These perceptions are based on researching the stock of these companies along with the rest of the industry leaders. Does Ford count their big rig trucks? Yes, I do think so.
Mazda, Volvo, and Land Rover were not included in the count, nor were companies which Toyota holds a controlling interest in.

Old 01-27-2004, 06:21 AM
95CobraR
Tuned
Originally posted by webmaster
Mazda, Volvo, and Land Rover were not included in the count, nor were companies which Toyota holds a controlling interest in.
Ford owns 100% of Volvo and Land Rover and they are included (see AJC, today). Mazda is not included since they own 33%. Mazda sold 1.04 million vechicles last year. Japanese law does not allow over 50% foreign ownership of their companies.

I checked the Toyota annual report. What does it have a controling interest in that is not included? I saw hundreds of subsidiaries, but it looked like all were included.

Benz/Chrysler owns control of Mistsubishi. GM owns control of Saab and Subaru. Renault owns control of Nissan. I guess that leaves Toyota and Honda as the only pure Japanese manufacturer.

Old 01-29-2004, 11:08 PM
Fordtough300-6
New User
Hell yeah to the inline 6! Thats a real work horse. But i think the new F-150 would be a little too heavy for that

Old 01-30-2004, 11:03 AM
MEPR
Elder User
if they put a manual in the new 150 i think that will help alot. Being able to shift always makes a vehicle feel like it has more power. As far as the I-6 goes, if they rebuilt the 300 whith new technology imagine how much power they could make. Mine is putting out 200hp maybe and it is never at a lack of power, only time i could have used more power was towing my buddies 82 Suburban on a 24' all steel trailer (i guessed the wight at about 9,000lbs)

Old 01-30-2004, 12:38 PM
jcreality
Senior User
MW95F250, and everyone else...
I'm sorry, I didn't have this thread marked to 'watch' and forgot to come back here. Sorry I made that statement and didn't clarify....What I was saying as being available is the SD(superduties), but I mistakenly typed HD (which could be confused with the F150).
Again, my apologies for the confusion.
Was saying that in '07 the Superduties (250/350) are rumored to be having a make-over for a new-design as well. In the meantime, yeah, it's Automatic 150s, or what I was TRYING to explain, that you can get a Superduty with a manual-6 and those gearing ratios.

DOH!

Quick Reply: Toyota Takes Ford to #3