Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

2003.5 cummins, is ford doing anything?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 03:28 PM
King Ranch
Laughing Gas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
won't see one till they come out

Old 01-16-2004, 04:21 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 354 Likes on 213 Posts
I'd like to know one thing...how many of you guys hook up 22,000 lb. loads with your PSDs and then go out looking for someone to race? Seriously, who here does this? Because I am sick and tired of hearing "yeah, well, my PSD is faster than your Cummins." Who gives a flip?? I guarantee that none of you want to get into a towing match vs. a Cummins H.O. 6-speed up a hillside with your Torqshift slushboxes and high-reving V8 "diesels".

And nobody here is bashing Ford just because they say Cummins has a better product. Facts are facts, there's nothing wrong with Ford not being #1 in everything. Why do you guys get so bent out of shape? Nobody forced you to go buy those $40K 6.0L pieces of junk. Lets just all discuss the facts here for informational purposes and quit acting like a bunch of kids.

Last edited by WXboy; 01-16-2004 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-16-2004, 04:35 PM
King Ranch
Laughing Gas

oh the great OZ has spoken! The fact is the $40,000 piece of junk out performs the ho hands down in two independebt test. So me some info that says else wise besides your opinion.

Old 01-16-2004, 04:47 PM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Hoss Got a Cummins
That's probably what the folks at FoMoCo keep telling themselves too. Wishful thinking I guess.
You sound like somebody just blew your birthday candles out.

It's true, give Dodge 5 years, and they'll be done dropped the Cummins and have a Mercedes or Detroit in its place.

By the way, the last Cummins Dodge I rode in, the fan/pulley assembly flew off the front end of the motor while going down the interstate at 70 miles an hour. Cummins is quality?

Old 01-16-2004, 07:49 PM
MJD
Elder User
Originally posted by MW95F250
You sound like somebody just blew your birthday candles out.

It's true, give Dodge 5 years, and they'll be done dropped the Cummins and have a Mercedes or Detroit in its place.

By the way, the last Cummins Dodge I rode in, the fan/pulley assembly flew off the front end of the motor while going down the interstate at 70 miles an hour. Cummins is quality?
C'mon, Ford has been losing some sales to Dodge for quite a while. Where I live more people have been buying Dodges than Fords. The only people that have changed from Dodge were Chevy guys who traded for a Chevy Dmax. I only know of one person with a 6.0 Powerstroke and it is being bought back by Ford and crushed. Until the Dmax came out the Cummins was Ford's only competition. Dodge has signed a contract with Cummins until 2007? or so. After that it is hard to say what they will choose to do. I do not see why a Cummins can't handle stricter emissions and more power. I think some of you Diehard Ford guys remember every problem that you have seen with any other brand of machine, but choose not to pay attention to the Fords.

Old 01-16-2004, 09:07 PM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
I know the Ford has had some problems, but have you talked to an engineer lately? I have. The '04 engines are supposed to have the new injectors (non split-shot).

Plus I know a bunch of people with 6.0L, and most of them are happy, only 2 of the 20 or so people I know with 6.0Ls have had troubles and were solved with a reflash or injector swap.

Of the people I know who haves Cummins, one bought the new HO, and he had to take it back because the turbo gave out at about 1000 miles.

Another person has a Dodge Cummins, he's now replacing the whole front end of his engine, the fan/pulley assembly flew off going down the highway last week.

The list can go on, if you like.

The 6.0L is new, give it time. The Cummins had its troubles worked out a while back.

By the way, Dodge has been gaining sales because it never had many to begin with. But you know as much as I do, the Nissan and the Toyota are working on all 3, and Nissan is hammering Dodge in the commercials on tv here.

Old 01-16-2004, 10:42 PM
ck1404
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Give it up. Ford's introduction of this 6.0 PSD is dismal - I'm not sure that is gets much worse. Go looking at diesel sites and RV sites. These folks on these sites are trying to really haul stuff and counted on Ford's latest entry to be the best, mostly based on the old IH 7.3 diesel. Lots of those folks are going back to the slower Dodge Cummins - at least it is dependable.

It's truly awful and Ford should be ashamed! Maybe they fixed it, but there is speculation as to the correct build date for the engine even now. I've been reading this crap for a while now and I'm totally disgusted. What is Ford thinking when they try to redesign the fuel delivery on a perfectly good Navi-star engine, totally screw it up and then don't give it enough testing time to figure out what are apparently huge problems? I'm not convinced it's right yet. Diesel engines must take a while to figure out - guess the Ford engineer kids are learning, hope so.

It all makes me wonder and it sure is a ugly situation.

Old 01-17-2004, 12:31 AM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
But the 7.3L and the 6.0L are COMPLETELY different engines, only sharing the brand name, everything else is different.

Old 01-17-2004, 11:56 AM
AAFD
Junior User
Gm had problems with the Dmax and tranny its first year, Dodge still used its 47RE tranny when there new engine came out and you could not buy it in all 50 states as well as not getting the HO engine. Each company has had some problems. Each engine has its good points and bad, I like my 04/03 ford and have not had any problems with it!

KC

Old 01-17-2004, 03:21 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Originally posted by King Ranch
oh the great OZ has spoken! The fact is the $40,000 piece of junk out performs the ho hands down in two independebt test. So me some info that says else wise besides your opinion.
OK, fine. The guys here at the plant were telling me that Navistar International was sending more 6.0Ls to Ford dealerships for engine replacements than they were sending to the Ford plant for new trucks. Boy, that sounds like pure quality and performance, let me tell ya'. They are looking into solutions obviously, but there are still issues.

You wanna' drive one of these poorly engineered things, go for it. I don't really care. Thankfully it's not my $40,000. We'll keep our Cummins. And so what if the Dodge truck *supposedly* isn't as high quality? We have a warranty that lasts twice as long as the Ford so it doesn't matter.

I'm telling you guys, I'm a die hard Ford man. But just because I am, I'm not going to suck up and give credit where it's not due. My personal truck is a solid machine so far. But when it comes to work, you can have the 6.0L. Don't want it.

Old 01-17-2004, 03:40 PM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
That's very hard to believe. Of all the people I know with 6.0L, only 2 have had any problems what-so-ever.

The last Cummins I rode in (also mentiond above), the whole front assembly flew apart going down the road, thats a $1500 repair right there, and that so called warranty didnt cover it.

Old 01-17-2004, 04:46 PM
sinister73
Elder User
MW95F250.....

You seem to know a lot of people......
You seem to have lots of experience.....
You sure seem to be well connected to all kinds of corporate engineers........
You also seem to know EVERYTHING.......
Your how old? 17?....oh no you just had a birthday a few days ago my bad.....it all makes sense now.....lol.

Old 01-17-2004, 10:18 PM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
I live near an interstate, so I come in contact with all types of people at gas stations and places like that. Plus my uncle is in the local fire department, and a bunch of the firemen have 6.0Ls, also the foreman of the construction company working on the interstate rents a trailer from my family and they have a FLEET of 6.0L's, only one of those has gone in for service according to him. So I have grounds to say what I said regarding the 6.0L.

I do have lots of experience, does a 300 acre family farm and 5 tractors (my father's and grandfathers) as well as 5 ag shop classes (worked on tractors and trucks in there) and 3 electrical courses (housewiring and automotive wiring) and currently an auto course (all aspects of automotive things), first public job at 15, Gold Palm Eagle Scout, mean anything to you for experience?

I went to a trade show this past fall where International had a big display setup with several engineers there. That's where my 7.3L/6.0L info is from. They had a bunch of engine technical literature and gave me one of all of them, do you have them? I knew very little about the stats and technology used on both of those engines until I read the tech literature. This fall I'm starting Mechanical Engineering at NCSU, I want to specialize in diesel engine design and hydrogen engines as well. Are you going into engineering?

I live 20 miles from the Research Triangle Park, one of the best technological centers in the US, where a lot of the things you use every day were developed in the past. My father goes to work there during the week and farms on the weekends. He gets all sorts of tech info on most anything you can think of, including diesel engines.

I don't know everything, since you do, maybe you can help me out in precalculus????

It makes sense to me too now.

I have no reason to make up anything, there is nothing to gain from any of this. I just speak from what I have seen and experienced. So, are you happy now? And yes, I'm 18 now.

Think what you want, but I have seen and experienced a lot more than you think.

Last edited by MW95F250; 01-17-2004 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-17-2004, 10:44 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Ahhh...I just figured it all out too.

Old 01-17-2004, 11:58 PM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
Yeah, it takes one to know one.

Quick Reply: 2003.5 cummins, is ford doing anything?