Overdrive light blinks 20 times

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 06:25 PM
ctopal
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overdrive light blinks 20 times

I found this site a couple weeks ago when my 95 Bronco (111,000 miles) started shifting hard and had the overdrive light blinking. I sent it to the tranny shop where no codes could be pulled, he replaced some expensive sensor which was on a ford technical bulletin and did a fluid & filter. Still happened, so I replaced the rear VSS as I saw on this site. Shifted hard today and noticed that the light blinked 20 times consistently. Someone posted a while back that the blinking is a code and someone on this site may be able to tell me what it means. Any help would be appreciated - thanks!

Old 08-05-2005, 07:34 AM
Casey
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The OD light does not blink a code. You need a code reader to find out what's wrong.

If you don't read the codes, just throw parts at it until you happen on the problem. Change all the sensors, the wiring, the computer, rebuild the trans, etc.

Or read the codes.

Old 08-05-2005, 01:32 PM
Ironpants
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The codes need to be reset or even the new components will not make a difference. The computer retains codes for a certain number of key on/off conditions. New components will operate correctly, however the computer still will think it is in the error condition and operate it's influence on the components in that way.

The fast and dirty way to clear many codes is to disconnect the neg battery cable for a while (I have heard anywhere from 30 secs to overnight).

I have some description of how to pull codes from a 94 F350 that MAY help you figure some stuff out. As well, there is a good website that outlines the code retreival. My gallery has the pics to the code retrevial and clearing steps.

Old 08-05-2005, 06:26 PM
ctopal
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My husband took it away this weekend and it is getting much worse. We did try disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes after I replaced the VSS. I think we will try taking it back to the tranny shop one more time to see if it's throwing out any codes.

Thanks