7.3L / 6.8L V8 Gasoline Engines Discuss the new 7.3 and 6.8L Gasoline V8s

Has anyone bought the extended warranty plan for the 7.3 2021 years

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2022, 06:00 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,484 Likes on 919 Posts
My wife and I have been purchasing Ford products since 1996 and never purchased an extended warranty and in hindsight that was the right decision. If I were to purchase a Ford product tomorrow, I would definitely purchase an extended warranty especially for the drivetrain and electronics.

The following users liked this post:
Old 12-24-2022, 06:20 PM
turfengineer
Tuned
Received 261 Likes on 108 Posts
I did end up buying an extended warranty for my new F350 7.3. It’s an Allstate 10yr/150k bumper to bumper warranty. I am more worried about the tech on this truck more than the drive train and it only cost me $3800. I have had great luck with Allstate warranty coverage in the past and the last two extended warranties more than paid for themselves.

I hate doing it, but it has paid off for me.

Old 12-24-2022, 06:27 PM
Sparky04SD
Laughing Gas
Received 129 Likes on 88 Posts
In January 1999 the dealer I was buying a new truck from asked me if I wanted an extended warranty. Told him if I needed that I would look elsewhere for my truck. Have 114K miles on it now and it still runs as good or better then it did in 1999 and it has 98% of it's mileage towing either a 15k boat/trailer or an 11k trailer.. Buying a new truck today is a whole new "bag of worms" with all the electronics in these trucks now. Not one item has failed me on the 99 in my signature. Nervous about a new truck although I sure would enjoy the feel of a new TV for my 5vr.

Old 12-27-2022, 03:59 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Sparky04SD
In January 1999 the dealer I was buying a new truck from asked me if I wanted an extended warranty. Told him if I needed that I would look elsewhere for my truck. Have 114K miles on it now and it still runs as good or better then it did in 1999 and it has 98% of it's mileage towing either a 15k boat/trailer or an 11k trailer.. Buying a new truck today is a whole new "bag of worms" with all the electronics in these trucks now. Not one item has failed me on the 99 in my signature. Nervous about a new truck although I sure would enjoy the feel of a new TV for my 5vr.
When the president of Ford Motor company publicly admits that Ford has a quality problem and the warranty and recall repairs is costing them billions of dollars and they hire a new Quality manager earlier this year to try to get their quality issues under control... The simple conclusion is if you really need to purchase a new Ford product right now, purchasing a extended warranty maybe a good choice.

My cousin is a Ford tech and he reported since Ford is hemorrhaging so bad from warranty repair costs he now has a lot more red tape to go thru in order to perform a warranty repair which increases the repair time for his customers. In some cases he literally moves the truck back into the parking lot to wait for Fords approval and starts on the next truck.

Old 02-10-2023, 03:08 PM
mcarignan
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Changed my mind last minute

I was not going to purchase an extended warranty for my 2022 F250 with the 7.3. Being a new engine design, I gave in at the last minute and purchased a 100,000 mile extended warranty. I have 18,000 miles on it after seven months. Just took the truck in to the dealer after a MIL light triggered. All diagnostic tests point to a bad power distribution module or ECM or both, the dealer is swapping both out, but I need to wait until the end of the month for the parts to arrive. Have to say my dealership is treating me right - they provided an almost new (1600 miles) F-150 as a loaner for the entire time on Ford's dime. Luckily I don't have any towing planned. I worry a lot more about the cost of electronic components than mechanical issues. The last two times I purchased an extended warranty was back in 1997 (yea, I'm old), when I purchased a new GMC Savana 1500, and in 2001, when I purchased a GMC Savana 3500 with the then-new 8.1 liter big block. In both cases, the 100,000-mile warranties paid for themselves. The 1997 went through three transmissions (I sold it before the 100,000-mile mark), the 2001 suffered ECM, PCM, TPC and other electrical problems for a while. I still own that one but it as 320,000 miles on it and the throttle body and throttle position sensor are still the failure points. After the last fight with the electronics, I gave in, parked it, and purchased the F-250.

Old 02-14-2023, 09:09 AM
CheeseheadFord
Fleet Mechanic
Received 627 Likes on 418 Posts
Just gonna play devils advocate here.... Warranty companies are a very profitable business, so they're taking in more money than they are paying out, which would mean that if you look at the big picture on average are going to loose $ more times than you save, but peace of mind is worth it to some and everyone is in a different financial place.

Old 02-14-2023, 12:44 PM
turfengineer
Tuned
Received 261 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseheadFord
Just gonna play devils advocate here.... Warranty companies are a very profitable business, so they're taking in more money than they are paying out, which would mean that if you look at the big picture on average are going to loose $ more times than you save, but peace of mind is worth it to some and everyone is in a different financial place.
All valid points, but I have little doubt that over the next 150k miles or 10 years I will come out ahead. If not, then I must have a good truck.

Old 02-16-2023, 09:26 AM
d7velo1
More Turbo
Received 395 Likes on 202 Posts
I usually don't buy extended warranties. I've never regretted that decision. The price is determined to make money on the sellers end. You're really rolling the dice to come out ahead.

I've had great luck with my Ford vehicles: Except for one (Ford Edge Sport)
1996 Mustang GT 4.6L V8
2004 Ford Explorer 4L V6
2004 F-150 5.4V (3V)
2016 Mustang GT 5.0L V8
**2017 Ford Edge Sport** Piece of poo poo. 2.7L Turbo oil pan leaks (in shop 3 times for this issue, x3 replacements to finally fix), Transmission leak, Huge sunroof leak (dealer couldn't fix), Front wheel bearing failed....all within 20,000 miles. Called it and sold that vehicle.
2018 F-150 5.0L V8
2022 F-250 7.3L Godzilla

I think Ford F-series and the Mustang GT are very safe bets. Ford understands the F-series and Mustang. Sad to say, I would NOT buy anything but a Mustang GT or an F-series from Ford. I just think there are other choices out there that are better (Japanese or Korean makes).

That said, if you find an extended warranty is good piece of mind for you personally . Granger Ford (Granger, Iowa) sells Ford extended warranties for $50 over cost. Can't beat that deal!!

Old 02-18-2023, 03:04 PM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts
Only bought extended warrantys twice and reget each time. Never had to use it. last time it was 3k and I only used $500 worth of service.
Never again.

Old 02-19-2023, 11:24 AM
leadmic
Fleet Mechanic
Received 172 Likes on 122 Posts
If you are going to buy an extended warranty the Ford factory ESP is the only one to buy and Flood Ford out of Rhode Island is the place to buy it. What the dealer doesn't tell you is you can buy the Ford ESP warranty from any dealer and Flood Ford will sell it to you very heavily discounted. I bought it from them on the last two Fords I bought and saved almost half on both of them.

The following 2 users liked this post by leadmic:
Old 02-19-2023, 03:45 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by leadmic
If you are going to buy an extended warranty the Ford factory ESP is the only one to buy and Flood Ford out of Rhode Island is the place to buy it. What the dealer doesn't tell you is you can buy the Ford ESP warranty from any dealer and Flood Ford will sell it to you very heavily discounted. I bought it from them on the last two Fords I bought and saved almost half on both of them.
I agree... the Ford ESP is the only way to go for extended warranty.

Old 02-19-2023, 06:05 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 855 Likes on 484 Posts
I purchased the 10 year 100,000 mile ford esp warranty on Friday. Had to get it purchased before the 12 months 12,000 miles.
I purchased the PREMIUM ESP through Granger Ford.
now I won't worry about 7.3 lifters lol

Old 02-22-2023, 08:37 AM
acadianbob
Cargo Master
Received 545 Likes on 306 Posts
Originally Posted by leadmic
This is exactly why I buy the warranty on the new vehicles. I was a fleet mechanic for 30 years and know how much even small repairs can cost in parts alone.
Yes, and electronics are even worse. Imagine your heated steering wheel going out and you have adaptive steering. That part would pay for your whole warranty.

Old 02-22-2023, 11:16 AM
CheeseheadFord
Fleet Mechanic
Received 627 Likes on 418 Posts
Originally Posted by acadianbob
Yes, and electronics are even worse. Imagine your heated steering wheel going out and you have adaptive steering. That part would pay for your whole warranty.
One more reason I went with an XL, less crap to break long term. Even if I had those two options on my truck, it's something I'd live without once the warranty is up if its going to cost thousands to repair/replace. I rarely use cruise on my truck as is now.

Old 02-22-2023, 07:07 PM
Thevol
Tuned
Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by bigwin56f100
I purchased the 10 year 100,000 mile ford esp warranty on Friday. Had to get it purchased before the 12 months 12,000 miles.
I purchased the PREMIUM ESP through Granger Ford.
now I won't worry about 7.3 lifters lol
I wonder how many extended warranties Ford sold due to that Ford mechanics lifter failure video

Quick Reply: Has anyone bought the extended warranty plan for the 7.3 2021 years