Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4X2 offroading??

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 11:11 AM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
lol sounds like you are the only one on your high horses! I say quit talking and bring your 4x2 down here and we can hit some mud....I wanna see just how far I have to drag a 4x2 out of my mud hole!

and you are right...i don't kick my 4x4 in until i quit moving forward but that usually takes quite a bit!

the best thing a 4x2 has going for it is power.....if you don't have the power to clean out your one tire spinning (4x2's w/o LS) then you are just gonna sink....and you need that much more when you get a locker b/c you have 2 tires spinning then!

-jason-

Old 12-17-2003, 11:17 AM
scheki
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can take a 2wd off-road, just try to avoid wet condittions/mud etc. Going over ruff terrain is no problem. Watch out for clearance though.

Old 12-17-2003, 11:19 AM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster
As I stated earlier, I have street racing tires on it now, andam in the process of making this truck a street truck, it does not and will not go off road anymore.. I did have it out in the mud playin around with under 100 miles on it.

And you admitted yourself. You only use your 4x4 when the S*** hits the fan and you get stuck. in other words, if you upgrade slightly more to be able to keep form getting stuck in the same mud in the first place (or with having the lighter front end of a 2WD) you would not need 4x4, only 4x2 correct? Did you not just admit this?

Old 12-17-2003, 11:22 AM
proeliator
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Jimmy Dean
but when you get into a built 4x2, it can hang EASILY with a 4x4 on sand and mud.
Jimmy, I usually respect what you have to comment, but you are COMPLETLY friggin cracked on this point. There is NOT ONE two wheel drive pickup that can match mine in thick, gooey, four feet deep mud tank traps. Hang easily? C'mon man. Sand is a bit of a different story, but the comment about 4x2s in real mud is simply ridiculous. Matters of opinion aside, its simply untrue. Phew...I usually don't get fired up about stuff but I just can't believe that people think a well built 4x2 can keep up with a well built 4x4 in serious mud.

It makes me wonder if they have ever even SEEN real mud.

Old 12-17-2003, 11:30 AM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by Jimmy Dean
And you admitted yourself. You only use your 4x4 when the S*** hits the fan and you get stuck. in other words, if you upgrade slightly more to be able to keep form getting stuck in the same mud in the first place (or with having the lighter front end of a 2WD) you would not need 4x4, only 4x2 correct? Did you not just admit this?
i did not admit this....when I get stuck my rear tires are caught on a rock or something in the mud or my rear axle starts dragging the ground...I almost never have problems with the front sinking in!

and yes it is fun to see how far i can go in 2-wheel but that deosn't mean that 2x4 will outwheel a 4x4! It just isn't feasible....laws of physics man....(with true 2- and 4-wheel drive) which has more traction; 2 wheels spinning or 4?

i can't believe this is even a post! 4x2 vs 4x4 , lol i say no more!

-jason-

Old 12-17-2003, 11:33 AM
TAMU05
Senior User
well i finally got to take my 2wd in the mud the other day (didn't know it though) the ground just kinda sank in real far. i pulled out if it in reverse but the ground kept sinking in under me, i got out and my i sank all the way up 3 inches past my ankle, and my bumper was almost on the ground, it was pretty bad. there was a good 100 yard stretch of this but i got it out, left some good 2 feet deep ruts though. i was pretty impressed with my truck but over all i wouldn't do it again unless i have a 4x4. so now i am thinking about trading mine in for a 03 fx4.

Old 12-17-2003, 11:38 AM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster
Pro, I am from the swamps, Lousiana, plenty of people have 4x4s most people in fact, however tehy also have 4x2s to tow with, and ALL the trucks go out to play, you would be suprised, and if you have not seen the mud we get IN the swamps....you aint seen nothing.....yes, we even have quicksand.....I have seen some trucks go down in there...nasty business that getting them out....

Now have you ever seen a 4x2 with 12 inch of lift and 44s? you would be impressed. as teh front end rarely ever even goes more than a foot into deep mud, as with the tires aired down the front end is so light that it literally stays on top of the mud.....and they do nto get stuck very often......and I will admit it, I have a friend with a Chevy 3500 SRW V-8 2WD. we have had MUD up halfway on his windshield. this truck has 38s, do the math, and we pulled straight through. The lifted 4x4s rarely even try this area. maybe I should see if my frined wishes to go again so I can get picks? trust me it will take a long hile to get up here. But you know me to be honest and not lie. And this I tel you for truth as I was there myself.

Jimmy........foaming from the mouth j/j

Old 12-17-2003, 11:45 AM
proeliator
Post Fiend
Jimmy, while I haven't wheeled down there I know a couple of guys who have and know that you have some real serious stuff going on down there. You describe some real potent 4x2s, and I probably would be impressed with what they could do given that their front end isn't pulling. But, I'm still waiting for an example of one that could "easily" keep up with mine in the serious stuff Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Old 12-17-2003, 11:54 AM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster
I guess os, take care. see you in general most likely right?

BTW like you avatar

Old 12-17-2003, 12:00 PM
proeliator
Post Fiend
Thanks. Yea, I mostly hang out in here, some of the engine forums, and now and then in general. Take it easy~

Old 12-17-2003, 02:00 PM
Stokes
Elder User
I do notice that the piont keeps comeing up that 4x4s are really 4x2s due to diffs. i do agree it does make scense, but i think that jumpin a mud hill with the front tires pre-spinning really dose make the difference. my bronco feels like it has a locked frontend sometimes just becasue the truck is well balanced so it keeps preaty even distribution on the tires. only when i lose momentum is the time that lockers really come in and my truck just sinks! dont get me wrong, im going to lock my front soon, im just saying that my truck hauls twice as well as my friends 4x2 with the same tires. but of course conditions do varry.

Old 12-17-2003, 04:02 PM
3broncocrazy
Postmaster
HeHe,

stock 4x4s suck..........

modified 4x2s rock

(did i say that) It was true that when i was in h/s some 20, well 20+ yrs ago, all i had was a 4x2 ford w/ls diff and most of the "daddys open diff 4x4s" would not attempt to go where i would brave........Wishing i had a 4x4.

So as we grow older and i have a son of my own, the 10yr old drives my bronco(s) without me even in it.

Lot's of love here

Old 12-17-2003, 04:46 PM
proeliator
Post Fiend
Anything stock sucks....'cept a Mog.

Old 12-17-2003, 04:51 PM
Redneck-Cowboy
Elder User
Usually when I'm muddin in 2wd first and it's gunky out, the mud will pile up along with corn stalks and what not in front of my front tires and my front tires will start to stop and back will start to spin, so I gotta put it in 4wd to keep that crap movin. Clean shallow mud doesn't seem to bother, but when I'm in gunk I go about 10 feet and fill up my back fenders then put it in 4wd then fill up my front fenders and and keep going. Your front end is dead weight in mud, I bet if you put mud tires on a front wheel drive car you'd go futher then a rear wheel drive pickup cuz the backs are ridin in a clean rut.

Sure 2wd's can blast through mud, but we're see who gets movin when you stop at that bottom of a 8in. deep muddy hill.

Old 12-17-2003, 04:56 PM
3broncocrazy
Postmaster
Now redneck, you be nice - it being christmas and all

J/K

Quick Reply: 4X2 offroading??