2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

10R140 4th Gear Deceleration Noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2021, 07:56 PM
Aah1121
New User
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Have over 900 miles on the relearn they did with my trans and still have the noise.

Old 11-23-2021, 08:14 PM
Tidesright
5th Wheeling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Aah1121
Have over 900 miles on the relearn they did with my trans and still have the noise.
that’s frustrating!

Old 11-28-2021, 05:16 PM
Wideload
Trailering
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tidesright
hey man can you pm me your vin if possible? When I take my truck back I want them to see exactly what was done to yours so in the even they think I’m full of it they can look it up themselves. If your not comfortable sharing your vin then I understand. Thanks.
give my dealer a call. Fairway Ford Commercial Truck Service

Old 12-12-2021, 08:18 PM
arcticcatmatt
New User
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Picked up my 2022 6.7 F250 3.55 3 weeks ago. Heard the noise on the way home. I have 1100 miles on it now. I always hear it when coming to a stop. Sounds just like a heat shield vibrating. Following this closely. I will make appointment after I have surgery this week, can't deal with truck issues at the moment. I didn't notice it happening between certain gears.. more so certain rpm and speed (I think its 900 rpm 12 mph). Really hoping its an NVH issue of a heat shield on the exhaust.

Last edited by arcticcatmatt; 12-12-2021 at 08:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 12-12-2021, 10:41 PM
TXSD6.2
More Turbo
Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Today is 59 days my truck has been sitting at the dealership's service department - still not fixed. They've attempted countless "fixes" including rebuilding the rear diff. Last I heard (when I told them don't bother updating me anymore) they were looking into issues with the transmission. Had been watching them put hundreds of miles on it via the Ford Pass app while they've had it.

My replacement 22 was supposed to be built last week - still haven't received the "built" e-mail but crossing my fingers. Ford denied my buy back request for some bull**** reason I can't recall (even though it passes the "30 day test" for the Texas Lemon Law - 30 days or more in dealership for critical issue without comparable loaner), but luckily the dealership and Ford got together and agreed to split the cost on a replacement truck for me (through Ford customer loyalty assistance program I think) to get me to go away.

It was no easy feat getting this far - and it's not over until I'm driving away in the replacement truck - I've had to climb up everyone's *** and stay there (through what feels like 100s of phone calls, a dozen visits to the dealership, calls/e-mails to Ford customer service, escalating the issue to the business owners of my local dealership, etc.) Amazingly nobody that I've spoken to really gives two ****s that my expensive new super duty that I put 15k cash down on, have already made two payments on, is a piece of ****.

Hope the replacement truck is solid and hope Ford eventually figures out what the actual problem/fix is and how many trucks are impacted so others don't get the runaround I've had to endure.

Old 12-12-2021, 10:47 PM
Michael9379
Cross-Country
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Man what an F-show. Sorry to hear your going thru such a mess. Hopefully ur new truck comes In soon and doesn’t have the same issue.
Ford should just scrap the 10 speed and go back to the bulletproof 6r140 6speed

The following 2 users liked this post by Michael9379:
Old 12-12-2021, 10:53 PM
TXSD6.2
More Turbo
Originally Posted by arcticcatmatt
Picked up my 2022 6.7 F250 3.55 3 weeks ago. Heard the noise on the way home. I have 1100 miles on it now. I always hear it when coming to a stop. Sounds just like a heat shield vibrating. Following this closely. I will make appointment after I have surgery this week, can't deal with truck issues at the moment. I didn't notice it happening between certain gears.. more so certain rpm and speed (I think its 900 rpm 12 mph). Really hoping its an NVH issue of a heat shield on the exhaust.
Sorry to hear yours has the issue as well. Mine was very predictable coasting to a stop and the noise would stop at a very specific speed (like 13mph I think) - it's been a few months since I drove/heard it. Hope the surgery is easy and recovery is quick.

Old 12-12-2021, 11:30 PM
Tidesright
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by TXSD6.2
Sorry to hear yours has the issue as well. Mine was very predictable coasting to a stop and the noise would stop at a very specific speed (like 13mph I think) - it's been a few months since I drove/heard it. Hope the surgery is easy and recovery is quick.
unfortunately I don’t think there’s a fix for this right now. Seems like a good amount of trucks are now having this issue, but there’s yet to be a fix from ford. I know someone who had their transmission replaced and the new one did the same thing. I think if your truck is making the noise take it in. The more people to document this noise the quicker ford will get their s*** together and come up with a fix. Which I’m hoping will be a new trans tune of some sort.

Old 12-13-2021, 03:25 AM
TXSD6.2
More Turbo
I wonder how so many with 22s are seemingly not hearing it or not having the issue at all. Especially if people are getting replacement transmissions and having it still happen. Is the problem still rolling off the line? I hope not! I'll be done with Ford for good if my 2nd 22 has the issue too.

Old 12-13-2021, 07:02 AM
Wideload
Trailering
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Update. The accelerated break in didn’t work completely. The noise doesn’t occur now until my transmission temp is above 200. Quick trips or really cold days it behaves just fine. Next step is cleaning the valve bodies, Per ford. We will see if that fixes it.

my guess is there is a valve tolerance issue.

Old 12-13-2021, 07:11 AM
racinwarrior
Freshman User
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
i read somewhere, and dont know its validity, there is a software issue with the torque converter lock up

Old 12-15-2021, 10:49 AM
npen
Trailering
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the same issue on my 2022. Only 300 miles so far. If I manually control the gears from the gear selector on a decel I can't seem to replicate the issue. It only does it when it's in drive and the PCM is controlling the decel shifting. When manually dropping the gears it also acts more like a manual transmission, you can tell it picks up each lower gear and the rpms go up, even if I am breaking to a stop while downshifting it. IMO, when in drive and coming to a quick braking stop, it appears the RPMs do a quick bounce and stall when it downshifts into 3rd, then it's idle RPMs when it shifts to 2nd and 1st. I'm not an automatic transmission expert, but it does seem like there is an issue with the torque convertor lock up programming. I'm calling the dealership today to get it logged and have a service appointment.

Old 12-15-2021, 12:17 PM
Tidesright
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by npen
I have the same issue on my 2022. Only 300 miles so far. If I manually control the gears from the gear selector on a decel I can't seem to replicate the issue. It only does it when it's in drive and the PCM is controlling the decel shifting. When manually dropping the gears it also acts more like a manual transmission, you can tell it picks up each lower gear and the rpms go up, even if I am breaking to a stop while downshifting it. IMO, when in drive and coming to a quick braking stop, it appears the RPMs do a quick bounce and stall when it downshifts into 3rd, then it's idle RPMs when it shifts to 2nd and 1st. I'm not an automatic transmission expert, but it does seem like there is an issue with the torque convertor lock up programming. I'm calling the dealership today to get it logged and have a service appointment.
yup I agree that it definitely seems like TC programming is a little off in that downshift point. The more people that take it in and have it documented the better that way they can get a new program out there and get this taken care of.

Old 12-15-2021, 01:40 PM
cmk1
Mountain Pass
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Tidesright
yup I agree that it definitely seems like TC programming is a little off in that downshift point. The more people that take it in and have it documented the better that way they can get a new program out there and get this taken care of.
I've been waiting for 6 weeks to get my truck in, they cannot give me a date to take it in.

Old 12-15-2021, 02:14 PM
Slowthump
Mountain Pass
Received 156 Likes on 70 Posts
My 22 350 cclb 7.3 with 3.73 made some funny noises downshifting the first couple hundred miles. At 600 miles I pulled my 9000 pound 5th wheel camper on a 1200 mile hunting trip. The first 500 miles of this trip was into a 30 mph head wind and lots of steep hills and worked the truck and tanny pretty good. Since that break-in pull, the truck has shifted smoothly up and down without a hiccup. My recommendation is drive it hard, pull it hard and don't worry about every little sound. If there aren't sparks, flames or oil pouring out everything is most likely just fine.

The following 4 users liked this post by Slowthump:

Quick Reply: 10R140 4th Gear Deceleration Noise