2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Any downside to vinyl floor vs carpet on Lariat?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2021, 08:17 PM
Freqz
Mountain Pass
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Even with weathertech mats I get mud, ricks, and assorted crap in the carpet. Should got the delete. Might be the only thing I would have done differently,

Old 02-02-2021, 08:48 PM
AndyErson
Mountain Pass
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Personally if I'm looking at a used lariat and opened the door and saw an ugly black floor I'll be passing in a heart beat. Looks XL all the way.

Old 02-02-2021, 10:09 PM
Antoniodef
Cross-Country
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Killer-Bimmer
Vinyl every time... and ordered truck because all the payment pounders want carpet... more downsides to carpet in a truck that’s used like a truck vs final... you can put all the covers you want on carpet it’s still a big stinking sponge for smells, mildew, mold.... have never once seen carpet pulled out of a vehicle that wasn’t loaded with crap underneath...

And the statement about wearing holes through vinyl, ummm you know that the rubber floor mats still work with a vinyl floor... I’ve always had floor mats with a vinyl floor... strangest comment I’ve seen on an argument against vinyl....
I though the point of vinyl would be too skip the mats? Most vinyl floor trucks I see don’t have mats and are wore down where the driver pivots their foot. Lots of them have wrinkles in the vinyl where it seems to stretch with age too. Maybe there’s different quality levels of vinyl, I don’t know.

I guess I’m just a pavement pounder guy who does construction, lives in Amish country on a dirt road, and prefers carpet.

Old 02-02-2021, 10:27 PM
super 6.8
Fleet Mechanic
Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
The "use a truck like a truck" line is about the most ignorant statement I read on this site. Lots of people pull boats, campers, etc. without going down muddy roads. Are they not using their truck like a truck? I would venture to say that those that pull heavy but stay on pavement are using their trucks more like a truck than anyone else. If you are just transporting people down a muddy road you could get by with a Subaru Forester.

I hunt and fish quite a bit and mud gets tracked into my truck all the time. But 90% of it stays on the carpeted mats and I clean the rest of it off the carpet as soon as I can. No stains or smells after 14 years.

To each their own but the vinyl floor looks cheap in my opinion.

Old 02-02-2021, 10:33 PM
ScottK1
Mountain Pass
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Put rubber mats on the carpet. The carpet will never wear out.

Old 02-02-2021, 10:54 PM
Killer-Bimmer
More Turbo
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by super 6.8
The "use a truck like a truck" line is about the most ignorant statement I read on this site. Lots of people pull boats, campers, etc. without going down muddy roads. Are they not using their truck like a truck? I would venture to say that those that pull heavy but stay on pavement are using their trucks more like a truck than anyone else. If you are just transporting people down a muddy road you could get by with a Subaru Forester.

I hunt and fish quite a bit and mud gets tracked into my truck all the time. But 90% of it stays on the carpeted mats and I clean the rest of it off the carpet as soon as I can. No stains or smells after 14 years.

To each their own but the vinyl floor looks cheap in my opinion.
Really, bring your Suby along and prove it... sorry carpet in trucks only became cool when all the city boys thought trucks were cool! Trucks yes trucks you know the the things that the city boys looked down on because they were driven by hillbillies and rednecks.... yeah they never had carpet ... mainly because if you spilt your beer your wife/cousin would know you were drinking again😉

Old 02-02-2021, 10:58 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,509 Likes on 1,312 Posts
It's a safe bet not to ask shortbed or long then.

Old 02-02-2021, 11:14 PM
ScottK1
Mountain Pass
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Really, bring your Suby along and prove it... sorry carpet in trucks only became cool when all the city boys thought trucks were cool! Trucks yes trucks you know the the things that the city boys looked down on because they were driven by hillbillies and rednecks.... yeah they never had carpet ... mainly because if you spilt your beer your wife/cousin would know you were drinking again😉
Spilt beer odor is a great reason, although my kids would take advantage of that more than me.

Old 02-02-2021, 11:25 PM
Killer-Bimmer
More Turbo
Originally Posted by ScottK1
Spilt beer odor is a great reason, although my kids would take advantage of that more than me.

Haha, another reason is if your father chews Copenhagen and spits between the door sill.... was always great seeing dad pull up and the door opens and then all his Copenhagen spit came rolling out.... don’t think that’s a thing anymore, but when I was a kid can’t remember how many trucks were spit stained at the door sill...

Old 02-02-2021, 11:36 PM
Killer-Bimmer
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Antoniodef
I though the point of vinyl would be too skip the mats? Most vinyl floor trucks I see don’t have mats and are wore down where the driver pivots their foot. Lots of them have wrinkles in the vinyl where it seems to stretch with age too. Maybe there’s different quality levels of vinyl, I don’t know.

I guess I’m just a pavement pounder guy who does construction, lives in Amish country on a dirt road, and prefers carpet.
I guess when you grow up poor and you swept bare plywood floors putting vinyl on vinyl was never questioned... I’ve truly never seen a vinyl truck without floor mats... it must be a location thing... it the end it’s all preference, but stale beer in carpet is still gross....

Old 02-03-2021, 06:22 AM
Joe T
Lead Driver
Received 936 Likes on 737 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottK1
Put rubber mats on the carpet. The carpet will never wear out.
I always seem to get mud behind the floor mat and it turns into a grind that never comes out. What i did on my last couple trucks is take the carpet mats out while new and put rubber ones in. Then throw the factory carpet ones in at sell. Granted the carpet is still messed up and nasty behind the mat.

I work on construction sites, sometimes the homeless use them for restrooms, condom disposal sites, or drug use areas. Not to mention the neighbors walking their dogs around there, get so much dog **** in my tires treads I need a pressure washer.

Haha, another reason is if your father chews Copenhagen and spits between the door sill.... was always great seeing dad pull up and the door opens and then all his Copenhagen spit came rolling out.... don’t think that’s a thing anymore, but when I was a kid can’t remember how many trucks were spit stained at the door sill...
Brings back some memories. Spitting on the door sill while shifting 3 on the tree.

Old 02-03-2021, 10:54 AM
Killer-Bimmer
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Joe T
Brings back some memories. Spitting on the door sill while shifting 3 on the tree.
Haha, yes it does; use to go elk hunting with my great uncle. Driving up to camp in the old Chevy, Hamms between his leg, chew in his lip, cigar in right hand.... Sequence was spit, drink, shift, smoke then repeat.... will never forget it!

Old 02-04-2021, 11:34 AM
raven_zilla
Tuned
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
I was a little apprehensive about my XL having the vinyl floor but after almost a year of the vinyl floor w ford all weather floor mats...I will not buy another truck with carpet. So easy to clean.

Old 02-04-2021, 03:06 PM
406f150
Laughing Gas
Received 308 Likes on 201 Posts
Originally Posted by Lin19687
Just an FYI, the 'Carpet' they use now is NOT CARPET. It's chinzcy crappy thin stubble. It's like a guy with a very close face buzz calling it a Beard 🤣
Sorry for that, when us gals say we like beards we mean a Real bread not some stubble on your chin.

Get the Delete and buy carpet mats
I'm almost embarrassed by the cheap carpet that's in my Platinum. Even when it's clean it doesn't look that good to me. If I ever order a truck it will have the vinyl floor. Easier to clean out the dog hair and at least it's not pretending to be something it's not.

Old 02-04-2021, 03:46 PM
Lamoon78
Laughing Gas
Received 177 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Antoniodef

Thats why you put mats. I have weathertech in mine but guess Im retarded.

Quick Reply: Any downside to vinyl floor vs carpet on Lariat?