Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Why chevy always lead in HP?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 09:48 PM
Ev2Demon
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can absolutley agree that Ford trucks, the Super Duty's specifically, are built tougher than GM HD trucks. The IFS simply doesn't hold up compared to the Solid axle on the Fords. I'm sad to see that Ford switched from leafs to coils on the 05's, but it's still better than IFS.

However, the topic of this thread was about power, not toughness. I think for a while Chevy had a pretty good power advantage. The 3V Mod's are better, and have closed the gap, if not taken the lead.

One point I will argue that others have stated as supposed fact is that Ford's are more efficient than Chevy and Dodge. This simply isn't the case. I own a V10 Super Duty and a Hemi Ram 1500. I know many others who own other Ford's, Chevy's, and Dodges, and I can say without a doubt the gas mileage between the three for similar motors is very close.

My neighbor has a 2004 F-150 5.4, and on the average, it gets nearly identical mileage to my wife's Hemi Ram. Ford certainly doesn't have a fuel mileage advantage like some here would like to believe.

Old 07-26-2004, 10:33 PM
bigsnag
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes they are all very close when it comes to mileage. They have always been really close, with Dodge ALWAYS being in last place. The new Fords do have the advantage currently, though. I can also say that Dodge's, on average, DO NOT get the mileagge their sticker claims, while Ford and Chevy get at least the EPA numbers unless you completely drive the he!! out of them.

Old 07-26-2004, 11:06 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bigsnag, that is true in my experience, too.

Old 07-27-2004, 12:20 AM
Red92gt
New User
I live in Southeast Michigan, companies around here use nothing but Fords. I know of 2 companies that are split between Ford and D**ge, but the majority is definitely the F-series

Old 07-29-2004, 12:16 PM
FORD352V8
Elder User
This is my conclusion. When it comes to trucks Ford wins by a mile in torqe, reliablity, durabilty and towing capabilty. When it comes to cars chevy wins in my opion. Chevorlet makes car engines, high revving, short stroked, higher HP engines that have more mechanical issues then Ford. I am comparring the 60's and 70's Fords and Chevs new cars are stupid and irrleavant to me. Back then all the OEMs made decent vehciles now they are cheap and disposable.
Ford = Truck engines
Chevy = Car engines

Old 07-29-2004, 12:29 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Thats a fair assesment. Fords always had great pride in there trucks. And as many as they sell every year. People love Ford trucks. Ford has the highest loyalty of the big 3. Ford trucks are on a roll this year selling 432,000 through June outselling GM by 11,000 trucks so far.. Fords goal is to sell one million trucks a year. There getting closer to that goal. Fords always had the better truck. Numbers prove it this year. With the new truck plant on line in Dearborn. Ford should have the manufacturing capacity to reach there goal.

Last edited by 150ford; 07-29-2004 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:41 PM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Ev2Demon
I can absolutley agree that Ford trucks, the Super Duty's specifically, are built tougher than GM HD trucks. The IFS simply doesn't hold up compared to the Solid axle on the Fords. .
False - prove it!!!

Solid axles are stronger - yes but there is absolutly no foundation to your claim of IFS failure in GM HD's. your blowing smoke.
Now is the the same 3/4 GM HD that has the highest GVRW ?

Old 07-29-2004, 01:17 PM
01F350V10
New User
Question

Originally Posted by DMAX-HD
False - prove it!!!

Solid axles are stronger - yes but there is absolutly no foundation to your claim of IFS failure in GM HD's. your blowing smoke.
Now is the the same 3/4 GM HD that has the highest GVRW ?
You said it yourself, the solid axle is stronger. Subject them both to an equal amount of abuse and stress and as you increase the stress and abuse the IFS will fail before the Solid Axle will.

I didn't see him say "The IFS fails all the time or even most of the time", I saw him say that it couldn't handle the same amount of abuse and you agreed....where's your beef?

Old 07-29-2004, 03:23 PM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
How do you load pictures? I have a picture of a broken Chevy IFS front end I want to post. It's on my computer and I don't know how it needs to be formatted.

Old 07-29-2004, 07:44 PM
ga302p
Elder User
Originally Posted by 01F350V10
You said it yourself, the solid axle is stronger. Subject them both to an equal amount of abuse and stress and as you increase the stress and abuse the IFS will fail before the Solid Axle will.

I didn't see him say "The IFS fails all the time or even most of the time", I saw him say that it couldn't handle the same amount of abuse and you agreed....where's your beef?
I have seen both Ford solid axles and Chevy IFS both put through pure Hell. I have never seen either one break. Ive seen both their trucks lifted, jumped, hit rocks in deep mud bogs, you name it. I can say however, the Ifs will go through things the solid axle will not. The solid axle is stronger, but Chevy's IFS is more than strong enough. The solid axle is overkill.

Old 07-29-2004, 07:59 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Evidently not. If none of the IFS setups had ever failed, then it would be overkill, but if you've not seen one fail, then you've not seen one in a serious tight spot. Some people need a truck to work with, not just one that's good enough to ride on the road. CV joints and other components = more components to fail, isn't that your reasoning as to why the Cummins is so great? Why the double standard? Simpler, stronger setup = SFA = better.

Old 07-29-2004, 08:00 PM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
I have a pic of a broken Chevy IFS. I just need help on posting it.

Old 07-29-2004, 09:05 PM
01F350V10
New User
Originally Posted by ga302p
I have seen both Ford solid axles and Chevy IFS both put through pure Hell. I have never seen either one break. Ive seen both their trucks lifted, jumped, hit rocks in deep mud bogs, you name it. I can say however, the Ifs will go through things the solid axle will not. The solid axle is stronger, but Chevy's IFS is more than strong enough. The solid axle is overkill.
I don't believe anyone said it wouldn't suffice for use, what I believe was said was that the Solid Axle was stronger. That's an engineering fact. If you have two pieces of iron joined together with a pivot point, and a single piece of the same grade of iron, which will be easier to break?

Old 07-29-2004, 09:37 PM
superdutymj
Elder User
I am a Diehard Ford enthusiast, but i must say that IFS systems ride a lot more comfortably than my leaf sprung solid axle. I haven't ever owned a Chevy (thank you God for blessing me with Blue Ovals) 3/4 ton or otherwise, but i have ridden in a few and after hopping out of those trucks and into my Super Duty, it feels like im riding a skateboard. But on the flipside of the coin, I have pulled several new/newer Chevys out of the mud that have broken a CV joint.

Old 07-29-2004, 09:47 PM
racsan
Posting Guru
i havent read through all the posts on this topic yet, but i wanted to say that advertised hp can be deceiving. look at the rpm some motors are running at rated hp. theyre wringing the squirrels out of them to get a high hp rating, not a real world rpm where you usualy run the motor at.

Quick Reply: Why chevy always lead in HP?