1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Is this a battery to battery charger? 95 E150 Mark3 Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 03:55 PM
Zacto
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this a battery to battery charger? 95 E150 Mark3 Conversion

Setting up a second battery in my 95 E150 Mark3 Conversion and looking to add a battery isolator or DC to DC charger, but I think there may already be something similar installed... Is the part in the images below a battery to battery charger of some sort??? It's installed on the wall of the engine compartment right in front of the battery and connects to both battery posts. Looks like a low gauge yellow wire and red with light blue are connected also... I think there is an empty battery harness underneath but im not sure and don't have pictures of it. What do ya'll think?

Old 04-18-2020, 05:22 PM
Steve460
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That is a solenoid to switch on battery voltage to the accessory circuits that may be connected to loads by a conversion company. It supplies a 12 volt circuit to the 7pin trailer towing socket. There are other branches running down the left inside quarter panel. It wont work for combining a second battery to the van. Adding another solenoid is needed if you want 2 batteries in parallel while cranking and charging both while the engine is running.

Old 04-18-2020, 05:31 PM
Zacto
Junior User
Originally Posted by Steve460
That is a solenoid to switch on battery voltage to the accessory circuits that may be connected to loads by a conversion company. It supplies a 12 volt circuit to the 7pin trailer towing socket. There are other branches running down the left inside quarter panel. It wont work for combining a second battery to the van. Adding another solenoid is needed if you want 2 batteries in parallel while cranking and charging both while the engine is running.
Thanks! That makes sense. Would there be any problem installing a battery isolator along with the solenoid?

Old 04-18-2020, 05:36 PM
Steve460
Mountain Pass
Nothing wrong with adding an isolator as long as you wire it up correctly. Why do you need a second battery ? What are you going to power with it ?

Old 04-18-2020, 05:42 PM
Zacto
Junior User
It's the house battery for a camper conversion. Will charge mainly off solar but want another charging option. House battery will power a vent fan, water pump, inverter etc.

Old 04-18-2020, 07:37 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 233 Likes on 182 Posts
The item in the photos is the Starter Motor Relay and has nothing to do with a second battery charging.
The yellow wire is going to the engine compartment fuse panel.

Old 04-18-2020, 08:39 PM
Steve460
Mountain Pass
Old 04-19-2020, 12:20 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Yes the starter motor has a solenoid mounted on top of it but he still has the stater relay in the engine compartment. The photos he posted is photos of the stater relay and has nothing to do with the trailer wiring or Aux battery charging.

Name:  4lQprxR.png
Views: 62
Size:  26.7 KB

Name:  0ynZT40.png
Views: 62
Size:  44.6 KB

Click on image to enlarge.
/

Old 04-19-2020, 09:25 AM
Spaznaut
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah that is where my starter relay is located also.

Old 04-19-2020, 11:52 AM
Steve460
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by subford
Yes the starter motor has a solenoid mounted on top of it but he still has the stater relay in the engine compartment. The photos he posted is photos of the stater relay and has nothing to do with the trailer wiring or Aux battery charging.

Click on image to enlarge.
/
Dam i assumed that entirely WRONG !! I had glanced at it a few years back and saw the large and small yellows , alternator charge wire and battery feed wire to the trailer connector on the post and assumed those loads were being energized by the solenoid. Nope, Ford uses the solenoid to supply voltage to the the solenoid on the starter motor. Did not see the small 16 gauge wire attached to the other post .

Old 04-20-2020, 09:54 AM
dashstiffrod
Junior User
That one caught me by surprise years ago, after being used to the short battery positive cable to the fender mounted solenoid. From there, the long battery cable to the starter was hot only when cranking. Easy screwdriver or pushbutton shorting the battery side to the energizing screw to spin the engine.

Then they put the solenoid pictured above to power the other solenoid on the starter below. ???? Now there is a permanently hot, fairly long, non-fused large battery cable snaked down to the starter. The diagram shows the starter motor right beside the battery and the solenoid that is actually beside the battery further away. Scale means nothing when following wiring diagrams. The gear reduction starter (PMGR) is a definite plus. I'll take that and live with the always hot starter cable.

My 1994 van came with the second aux/house battery installed and a continuous duty solenoid hidden underneath the driver's side battery, accessed by removing the headlamp and using the hole behind it. Cramped. A battery cable runs across the front top of the radiator to the aux/house battery on the passenger side. In my case, the aux/house battery solenoid is energized only with the engine running, to avoid draining both batteries if the key switch is left on.

Zacto, does your van have a battery tray on the passenger side? I actually prefer a continuous duty solenoid over an isolator due to the isolator's inherent voltage drop and I'm old and like electromechanical devices.

My charging voltage measured at the starting battery ranges from 13.9 to 14.8 volts. 130amp alternator. As long as the charging voltage rises to the high 14's, the paralleled system worked well until a 12v fridge showed up and I parked without much driving. I do not have the fuses seen in the diagram in the link below, to provide starting current from the house battery if necessary.

This link from another forum has enough info to make your eyes bleed.
https://expeditionportal.com/forum/t...-for-50.77503/

Old 04-20-2020, 10:13 AM
Zacto
Junior User
Originally Posted by dashstiffrod
That one caught me by surprise years ago, after being used to the short battery positive cable to the fender mounted solenoid. From there, the long battery cable to the starter was hot only when cranking. Easy screwdriver or pushbutton shorting the battery side to the energizing screw to spin the engine.

Then they put the solenoid pictured above to power the other solenoid on the starter below. ???? Now there is a permanently hot, fairly long, non-fused large battery cable snaked down to the starter. The diagram shows the starter motor right beside the battery and the solenoid that is actually beside the battery further away. Scale means nothing when following wiring diagrams. The gear reduction starter (PMGR) is a definite plus. I'll take that and live with the always hot starter cable.

My 1994 van came with the second aux/house battery installed and a continuous duty solenoid hidden underneath the driver's side battery, accessed by removing the headlamp and using the hole behind it. Cramped. A battery cable runs across the front top of the radiator to the aux/house battery on the passenger side. In my case, the aux/house battery solenoid is energized only with the engine running, to avoid draining both batteries if the key switch is left on.

Zacto, does your van have a battery tray on the passenger side?
​​​​​​
No battery tray on the passenger side but I think there is one on the driver side. It looks a bit small for a battery though. I'll get under her for some pics when I can.

Going with a smart isolator over a solenoid. Smart iso doesn't cut in until 13.3V and cuts out at 12.8V

Old 04-23-2020, 04:20 PM
turbogus
Laughing Gas
Nice to have diagrams, I had to figure mine out myself on account it was a used unit, but it worked great!

...and what the Circuit Breaker looked like

Old 04-24-2020, 09:19 AM
Zacto
Junior User
Originally Posted by turbogus
Nice to have diagrams, I had to figure mine out myself on account it was a used unit, but it worked great!

...and what the Circuit Breaker looked like

Nice! Which isolator is that? And what gauge wire did you use from the isolator to your second battery?

Old 04-24-2020, 09:36 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Our RV van has it like this:
Name:  5SBpXwg.png
Views: 59
Size:  68.4 KB

Name:  rDaYrMf.png
Views: 64
Size:  912.8 KB

/