2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Has anyone gone from a diesel to a 7.3 gas yet?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2020, 07:37 PM
Work Truck Fanatic
Tuned
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 2020Tremor
Out of curiosity why are so many people white knuckled when the engine revs? Are you referring to a Chevy 6.0 gas per chance? I really haven’t noticed a huge handling difference between the two (buddies 350 6.7 and my 350 7.3L) going over the hills with similar weight to your TT. The 7.3L likes to sing a little while doing it but not to the point of not being able to hear the radio or have a calm conversation with stock exhaust.
This comes from most not being familiar with the 7.3L's power band it makes peak HP @ 5500 RPM & peak torque @ 4000 RPM. It is going to stay in it's power band when it needs to work. The big block will handle this and keep things cool while doing so.

Old 10-26-2020, 07:46 PM
George C
Cargo Master
Received 504 Likes on 294 Posts
That’s usually what it is folks, I’m just saying it, as most diesel owner already know it..
And no, I couldn’t care LESS about the 7.3L gas powerband. It’s less than half of a diesel, and peaks at high RPMs I don't want to run or hear.
I agree, there is a place for it. Utility vehicles, business work trucks or simply a cheaper power option, or for someone who whines about everything diesel under the sun because the extra cost is out of reach.
Um, may I please have a 5.3L in that new Corvette? That 5.3L is one hell of an engine and it’s not a first year design LOL. .....

No, the 7.3L won’t get a look from me. The Godzilla thing? Ford sure baited the hook well with that one.
Carry on and flame away....

Old 10-26-2020, 09:06 PM
Joe T
Lead Driver
Received 940 Likes on 741 Posts
I agree with George on why not get double the torque if you are spending all this money anyway.

Downside is around town driving. Its like not taking the dog out, I know this dpf is full of something.

Looking at replacing my f150 ecoboost daily with a 7.3 next year or when the new model comes out. Probably will be a splurge order after shopping dealers.

Old 10-27-2020, 08:03 AM
George C
Cargo Master
Received 504 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe T
I agree with George on why not get double the torque if you are spending all this money anyway.

Downside is around town driving. Its like not taking the dog out, I know this dpf is full of something.

Looking at replacing my f150 ecoboost daily with a 7.3 next year or when the new model comes out. Probably will be a splurge order after shopping dealers.
Again, it’s a conjured fear that is used for a reason to justify a savings.
In 6,000 miles, I have recognized just two regens, and never a loss of power from a loaded DPF. It’s an animal every time I push the button.
I’m sure there have been more regens along the way, but my guess is that it was passive burning doing it’s thing.
Not only does this 2020 fuel system demonstrate its power and technology upgrade, but it obviously burns so much more efficiently.

Old 10-27-2020, 08:59 AM
Joe T
Lead Driver
Well my oil level went up as apparently I had a bunch of partial regens.

I need to figure out how to set it to full manual with Forscan. I haven’t even got Forescan yet.

Once that is done I will agree there is nothing to worry about. The engine bay may look complicated but I assure you mechanics will adapt and work on these in the future out of warranty for a fair price.

Old 10-27-2020, 09:03 AM
SaltyScout
Mountain Pass
Received 41 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by George C
Again, it’s a conjured fear that is used for a reason to justify a savings.
In 6,000 miles, I have recognized just two regens, and never a loss of power from a loaded DPF. It’s an animal every time I push the button.
I’m sure there have been more regens along the way, but my guess is that it was passive burning doing it’s thing.
Not only does this 2020 fuel system demonstrate its power and technology upgrade, but it obviously burns so much more efficiently.
It's math and risk analysis.

If I'm driving 15k miles a year (that is not reimbursed by work travel) and saving about 4 miles a gallon with diesel and gas is now $2 a gallon but lets say $2.50... Then I save $782 a year with diesel. The diesel costs $8790 more than the 7.3L so it will take me 11.5 years to recoup. And if I want my truck for the long haul then the resale isn't that much of a factor.

It is a fact that on average diesel repairs are more expensive. It is debatable if the new diesels are on average more or less reliable.

If the 7.3L has more than enough power then it just makes sense. Not throwing money around without necessity is not penny pinching

Old 10-27-2020, 09:05 AM
jdk1
More Turbo
Received 328 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by 2020Tremor
Out of curiosity why are so many people white knuckled when the engine revs? Are you referring to a Chevy 6.0 gas per chance? I really haven’t noticed a huge handling difference between the two (buddies 350 6.7 and my 350 7.3L) going over the hills with similar weight to your TT. The 7.3L likes to sing a little while doing it but not to the point of not being able to hear the radio or have a calm conversation with stock exhaust.
I'm pretty sure these remarks all come from posters who have never driven a 7.3 gas. Its the same thing repeated by the same people. Add in the following reasons used often here to describe why "7.3 bad, 6.7 good":

- 7.3 is sluggish. Anyone who's driven one would not say this about the 7.3.

- Not enough power. Big gas engines have been doing heavy work since before the oldest member here was born. The Chevy 454 and Ford 460 come to mind from my younger days. The vaunted 7.3 diesel was only rated for 425-525 ft. Lbs. torque, depending on the year. The 7.3 gas is 475 ft. Lbs.

- You're too poor to have a diesel. This is just silly and most of us went from diesels to the 7.3.

- And the best one, the diesel is more manly and makes you feel macho! If that floats your boat, you do you, but realize we don't all need a daily ego boost. The 1,050 ft. Lbs. of torque wasn't made for performance. It was made for marketing and it obviously works on people.

Diesel engines are great for towing. Again, many (or most) of the 7.3 owners here were diesel owners. But, diesels are not needed for most towing needs. If you like that extra performance, then buy a diesel. If you tow heavy, then definitely consider diesel. Do diesel engines have drawbacks? Absolutely! They can be extreme money pits. Are they easy to work on? Not in my experience. The engine bays are extremely cramped and your everyday mechanic may not be able to handle the work. That's why there are many diesel garages around staffed with DIESEL mechanics! Its a specialization for a special type of engine.

As has been said many times, today's diesels are anything but your grand daddy's diesels. Since 2004, diesel engineers have been trying to overcome very burdensome EPA regulations. Its gotten worse over time. These emissions control systems can be finicky and extremely expensive to repair or replace. They can also effect engine life. Diesel fuel also has its own special concerns, like moisture, gelling, algae, etc.

Diesel engines are not ideal for daily driving/short trips. They need to get to operating temperature regularly to stay healthy. This may or may not make them ideal for your use.

These are issues to be aware of, but they don't make diesels a bad choice. For some uses, they're the best choice. It comes down to YOUR use.

The following 2 users liked this post by jdk1:
Old 10-27-2020, 09:11 AM
raven_zilla
Tuned
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by jdk1
I'm pretty sure these remarks all come from posters who have never driven a 7.3 gas. Its the same thing repeated by the same people. Add in the following reasons used often here to describe why "7.3 bad, 6.7 good":

- Not enough power. Big gas engines have been doing heavy work since before the oldest member here was born. The Chevy 454 and Ford 460 come to mind from my younger days. The vaunted 7.3 diesel was only rated for 425-525 ft. Lbs. torque, depending on the year. The 7.3 gas is 475 ft. Lbs.

- You're too poor to have a diesel. This is just silly and most of us went from diesels to the 7.3.

- And the best one, the diesel is more manly and makes you feel macho! If that floats your boat, you do you, but realize we don't all need a daily ego boost. The 1,050 ft. Lbs. of torque wasn't made for performance. It was made for marketing and it obviously works on people.

Diesel engines are great for towing. Again, many (or most) of the 7.3 owners here were diesel owners. But, diesels are not needed for most towing needs. If you like that extra performance, then buy a diesel. If you tow heavy, then definitely consider diesel. Do diesel engines have drawbacks? Absolutely! They can be extreme money pits. Are they easy to work on? Not in my experience. The engine bays are extremely cramped and your everyday mechanic may not be able to handle the work. That's why there are many diesel garages around staffed with DIESEL mechanics! Its a specialization for a special type of engine.

As has been said many times, today's diesels are anything but your grand daddy's diesels. Since 2004, diesel engineers have been trying to overcome very burdensome EPA regulations. Its gotten worse over time. These emissions control systems can be finicky and extremely expensive to repair or replace. They can also effect engine life. Diesel fuel also has its own special concerns, like moisture, gelling, algae, etc.

Diesel engines are not ideal for daily driving/short trips. They need to get to operating temperature regularly to stay healthy. This may or may not make them ideal for your use.

These are issues to be aware of, but they don't make diesels a bad choice. For some uses, they're the best choice. It comes down to YOUR use.
BINGO, different engine for different applications. Is there some overlap? Yes but in general these 2 engines are targeted to different end users.

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-27-2020, 10:03 AM
Kellem
More Turbo
Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Sums it up.

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-27-2020, 10:04 AM
Thevol
Tuned
Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
Judging by the number of posts about the 7.3, Ford seems to have a hit with this engine once the growing pains get sorted out. I could even see them trying a twin turbo version to market towards the diesel crowd who want the big numbers. That is assuming the EPA continues its attack on the diesel engine and just make it too complicated and expensive to justify its existence, which they are close...I would love to know the warranty repair cost from ford on diesel vs gas, prob a big reason for the large price difference.

Old 10-27-2020, 10:07 AM
acadianbob
Cargo Master
Received 546 Likes on 307 Posts
Clearly a factor in a couple of posts.

Old 10-27-2020, 10:09 AM
nick112288
More Turbo
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Thevol
Judging by the number of posts about the 7.3, Ford seems to have a hit with this engine once the growing pains get sorted out. I could even see them trying a twin turbo version to market towards the diesel crowd who want the big numbers. That is assuming the EPA continues its attack on the diesel engine and just make it too complicated and expensive to justify its existence, which they are close...I would love to know the warranty repair cost from ford on diesel vs gas, prob a big reason for the large price difference.
I highly doubt that they'll build it to specifically cut in to the consumer diesel market.

This is purely anecdotal but my father in law, who is a mechanic for Ford, once told me he was at training and speaking to a Ford engineer and they were discussing the V10. Engineer told him that they actually tried a boosted one, and the outcome out performed the diesel at the time. They then axed the project because while better performing than the diesel, the v10 didn't have the profit margins of the diesel, so they didn't want to lose those sales.

Old 10-27-2020, 10:44 AM
Joe T
Lead Driver
A big turbocharged gas motor would be so inefficient working and I doubt they would offer it.

The turbo V6 in the F150 is just great. Love my 2.7.

Last edited by Y2KW57; 10-27-2020 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Please join us at FTEClub to discuss politics.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:58 AM
SaltyScout
Mountain Pass
Received 41 Likes on 8 Posts
Politics? Here? Do you not get enough everywhere else? If you don't just PM me and we can have it out. Otherwise let's talk trucks

Old 10-27-2020, 11:00 AM
dubya TF
More Turbo
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
Thanks for that @jdk1 . I spent 25+ years working on diesel-burning Army junk of all types so knowing the quirks is important. I've helped my oldest son with his 6.0 and learned quite a bit of the challenges with those.
Another good point is the 6.7 PS being ran a fair amount at operating temp. I commute 35 miles round trip - 3/4 of that is highway. Clearly not everyone needs 1000+lb-ft to get that done. The slight potential of towing something maybe twice a year doesn't call for the added maintenance or cost for the diesel even though, yeah I'd like the baddest thing on the road. I think my '65 F100 does that for me already; my daily just needs to get me to the job and home. I've had a new Bronco Badlands reserved but I just can't justify $60k on a truck I can't use as designed. However my current daily is starting to really show it's age.

Quick Reply: Has anyone gone from a diesel to a 7.3 gas yet?