Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

2004 Sport Trac won't turn over

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 10:41 PM
73 fourxfour
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Sport Trac won't turn over

I'm wondering if something with the timing chain broke. Bolt, sproket or chain.

2004 Sport Trac
5 speed auto
68k miles

Yesterday my girlfriend called me late in the afternoon and said something was wrong with the Sport Trac. I showed up, felt like it wasn't getting enough fuel. It ran rough and I didn't move it. I went and got a fuel filter and replaced it. It definetly needed to be changed. It started up but ran rough. After a few minutes I realized I forgot to plug in the connector on the air intake next to the air filter when I checked to see if she had a clogged filter. I plugged it back in and after a minute it seemed to smooth out. At this point I can't remember if the engine would rev up or not. But I put it in gear and pulled away. It seemed to be running fine until a block later I got to a stop sign to make a right on a slight grade. It then had no power. I feathered the throttle and it seemed to eventually smooth out and seemed to run fine. Drove around the block but intermittently it would run rough but then smooth out. I thought maybe I had a fuel pump going out as I could not hear the pump when I turned the key to ignition without starting it. So I called a tow truck to have it towed and ordered a fuel pump.

Today I purchased a code reader since the check engine light was on. I don't remember it being on until after I started it with that sensor unplugged. I figured that would be the code on there. Back to this in a minute. So I read the codes did a little research and cleared them to see if they would come up again. I started the engine and it ran kinda rough for a few seconds, started to smooth out then made a sound that to me almost sounds like something with the timing chain let loose. I don't really know how to describe it other then the sound of pulling a chain over something. I shut it off right away. When trying to start it again, the engine will not turn over at all. Sounds like something is preventing it from turning. It just makes a clunk.

(due to a fire I don't have a great place to work on it. It's on a lot under a metal carport and I have already purchased over $500 in tools today. Jack, jack stands, code reader, etc. so what use to be an easy repair is a pain in the **** right now. So things I would try before writing on the forum are difficult for me right now. This is my first 4.0 so I don't know much about it or it's weaknesses)

Could it be:
Timing chain broke and I have valve interference?
Something wrong with the starter. The vehicle is 10 miles away from my computer so I can't run out and check. Wonder if maybe the starter came loose? wild guess.
Something with the computer.
Fuel has somehow filled the cylinder and I have a hydraulic situation.
Coil pack

I will go out and check on these tomorrow when I can get back there but I was hoping before then someone would have seen this problem or have a better guess on what to check.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice

Old 06-15-2019, 10:43 PM
73 fourxfour
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I forgot to mention the code it pulled was a P0316.