1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

O.T. 20th American Birkebeiner Korelopet Finish!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2023, 07:35 AM
ct50f1
More Turbo
Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts
At least you have some snow. We got about 3" in December that quickly melted and nothing since then. After two years off due to covid we're planning to go to New Hampshire with our XC skis in February. Would be nice to get out once or twice before the trip. So far all we can do is take a long walk around the town.

Old 01-06-2023, 06:33 PM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
Received 869 Likes on 424 Posts
Mark, I'm glad to see you posting and admire your attitude after all you've been through. Growing old gracefully isn't something everyone can do. My mother lived to be almost 100 and set a good example to follow. She never complained about what she couldn't do anymore but instead focused on what she could still do. In the end, she couldn't do much, but she still enjoyed interacting with the people around her. She always did her therapy too like you are doing. Keep working at staying mobile and keep sharing your knowledge and experience with us.

Dan, if long range forecasts can be believed, it looks like the Northeast is going to be hit with some significant snow by mid January. Good luck.

Jim

Old 01-06-2023, 07:31 PM
Badmoonreizen
Laughing Gas
Received 174 Likes on 122 Posts
Thanks Jim, it ain't graceful but I'm doing it. Not ready for a dirt nap quite yet.

Mark

Old 01-09-2023, 03:48 PM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
Beautiful day out on the trail this morning:

We've had several ice storms lately, and as you can see, the trees are pretty well covered. Skiing conditions have been good, and I've been trying to go out everyday and take advantage. The miles are slowly accumulating, but I'm pretty far out of shape.

Jim

Old 01-09-2023, 06:10 PM
Badmoonreizen
Laughing Gas
Jim:
Leave it out!

Really, I know you can do it!!
Regards, Mark

Old 02-25-2023, 08:21 PM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
This is Birkie week-end in the Wisconsin Northwoods. My Kortelopet race was yesterday and I finished, but just barely. Because of COVID, and a Florida vacation last year, it's been 3 years since I've been out on the Birkie course. I wasn't ready for the hills and really struggled at the end of the race as a result. Three falls didn't help, but the good news was that I was able to get up again. I'm just glad it's over, and I have another picture and race bib to hang on the wall. Next year I have to train harder, but then I always say that.

This is a picture at the start:

The skiers are starting to gather in their waves for a staggered start. My race had about 2500 skiers, and the longer race today had about 7000. The day started out cold, but there was a blue cloudless sky and bright sun, and the temperature quickly warmed up to the mid teens for nearly perfect conditions.

Jim

The following users liked this post:
Old 02-25-2023, 08:51 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 775 Likes on 382 Posts
Great work! I'm glad you were able to get there this year and finish.

Old 02-25-2023, 08:52 PM
ct50f1
More Turbo
Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts
Jim, glad you made it to the finish. I went to New Hampshire last week trying to find some snow to ski on. We found some, although it was barely skiable and, just like you, I hadn't skied all season so it was a challenge. Also, it was a bit mushy since it was in the high forties during the day. Instead of trying to ski 4 or 5 miles along my favorite trail (Ellis River), a group of us started at the end and skied up a mile or so and then turned around. As you say, next year we'll have to train more. Below is a picture of our group on the the trail.

The following 2 users liked this post by ct50f1:
Old 02-25-2023, 10:17 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,641 Likes on 1,470 Posts
That's awesome , Jim! You inspire me.

Old 02-26-2023, 05:52 AM
Badmoonreizen
Laughing Gas
Jim: you are doing 50 miles and I did 50 steps to the bathroom! I am now on a 7 month wait list for hip replacement surgery at University of Michigan orthopedic surgery.
You are my hero! I am just happy to wake up every day and not see my obituary in the paper.
Congratulations, Mark

Old 02-26-2023, 06:40 AM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
Thanks everyone for the kind wishes. Just to be clear, it was my son that skied the 50 miles--my 18 mile Kortelopet race Friday plus the famous 32 mile Birkebeiner race Saturday. Next year is going to be the 50th anniversary of the American Birkebeiner race. I'll have to be sure and try to hang on for that.

Here's a pic from the race of me struggling up one of the many hills. You may notice that there aren't many skiers around. That's because they have all mostly passed me by at this point in the race.

Jim

The following users liked this post:
Old 02-26-2023, 10:42 AM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 621 Likes on 331 Posts
You are very inspiring Jim, good to hear you began and then finished. Next fall we will prompt you to train a little in PA. We all want to see you do the 50th anniversary event. And let those whippersnappers pass you all they can....the tour is more enjoyable with fewer skiers crowding things, right?

I just came back from a 3-day fishing and hunting trip up north. On Friday I went solo out snowshoe rabbit hunting. A fresh snow had fallen the day before so it was good for tracking rabbits but it was deep and was quite a bit of effort to tromp through the woods. I've gotten out of shape having a desk job and I got winded a few times going uphill. Temps were in the teens with a strong wind so it just draws the air from your lungs trying to stay warm. I had a good time but am feeling it today in my hips and knees! My excursion pales in comparison to yours, so I remain inspired by you. Keep at it and give 'em heck next year.

these winter sports give us soething to do until it is warm enough and the roads are salt-free to play with old truck again.

Tom

Old 02-26-2023, 12:00 PM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
Hi Tom. I haven't done a lot of snowshoeing, but enough to know it's a lot harder than cross-country skiing. Toward the beginning of this thread, there was a little discussion of a snow shoe race that used to be held--when men were still real men--between Hayward (where the Birkie finishes) and Rice Lake (where I stayed and where "Firstrider" grew up). The driving distance between the two towns is about 60 miles. Making that trek on snow shoes is inconceivable to me.

We have 16 inches of snow on the ground and maybe another 5-6 coming tonight and tomorrow. What is your snow cover like?

Old 02-26-2023, 01:07 PM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 621 Likes on 331 Posts
Jim, there was about 2 feet of snow cover where I was. Lots of fresh powder, saw some cross-country skiers and the snowmobilers were having a good time. But it was below zero F the past couple of mornings so only the hardiest of souls were outside. Winter still has Maine in it's grip.
60 miles on snowshoes at Rice Lake, huh? I just did 5% of that and was happy to get back to the camp and take some Advil.

Old 02-27-2023, 02:47 AM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
Mark, it looks like your hip replacement surgery is going to fall pretty close to next year's truckstock. That could mean you'll be convalescing again if I'm able to make a stop in Howell to see you. I was hoping you'd be able to tell me about how the Woodward Dream Cruise went for you and your truck instead of another surgery the next time we got together for breakfast. Maybe that conversation will have to be for another year as you wait your turn to get all the replacement body parts you need installed.

Dan, it's good to see you and your group out skiing again and enjoying yourselves. Skiing with temps in the high 40's must require some creative waxing solutions. Is there a klister that works for those conditions? I think I've done a "Birkie" race or two with temps reaching into the 40's but never the high 40's. The only time I ever dropped out of a race it was warm, and and I over compensated with the waxing decision. Skiing became more of a snow shoe like experience with snow sticking to the bottoms of the skies.

I'm feeling pretty recovered from the exertions of the race and ready to return to my normal routines. School closings are already being announced for today as we are in a "winter storm warning". It seems to be a pattern lately that winter weather is slow to arrive in the fall but extends further into the spring.

Jim

Quick Reply: O.T. 20th American Birkebeiner Korelopet Finish!