Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

F150 shopping - comments & feedback welcome

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 01:58 PM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts
Storage_man, you sir, are a Truck Weight God!
THANKS for that resource!

Old 02-09-2019, 08:23 AM
storage_man
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by smokewagun
Storage_man, you sir, are a Truck Weight God!
THANKS for that resource!
Your welcome

Old 02-11-2019, 02:39 PM
markag
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Test drive

Went to my local dealer to talk options and test drive a truck. They don't have anything new that matches what I want. There are no 2018 models in their search tools that match my configuration nationwide. I will most likey end up having to travel, or go up to 2019 to get exactly what I want.

They did have a used 2017 lariat Supercrew, 4x4, 6.5 bed with 3.5L Ecoboost and 10 speed for me to test drive. It's the same config that I'm looking for but in a lariat trim and 2 years old.

I loved the truck. It confirmed the configuration that I want. My wife said if that's the long bed (6.5), I'm not allowed to settle for a short bed. It also confirmed that I want the console. This truck had a jump seat, and it really was a turn off. I think a console is a must have after driving this one.

I've got 2 kids still in car seats, and there is a ton of room in the back. Trips with them and the dog should be no problem. The extra length from the 6.5 bed won't be a problem either. The truck will still fit my garage (my garage is 25' deep).

I would consider buying this truck, but it had 55K miles on it already. Asking price was $36K, which seems pretty good for a 2 year old lariat with a lot of options. But 55K miles is about 3-4 years worth of miles at the rate I drive.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:45 PM
Midnightmoon
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I bet the dealer thought they had a sale on the '17 when you had the car seats all loaded up and out for an extended test drive.

I'm not sure how much you hate that jump seat compared to a console, but if that truck was even remotely close to what you want, I'd give the dealer a low ball offer that you would be comfortable with and see how they respond. The worse they can say is no.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:51 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 216 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by markag
I would consider buying this truck, but it had 55K miles on it already. Asking price was $36K, which seems pretty good for a 2 year old lariat with a lot of options. But 55K miles is about 3-4 years worth of miles at the rate I drive.
That is a bit on the high side. About 15K more than my 2015. However, lots of miles in a short time isn't the same as it used to be. The high miles is indicative of a lot of highway miles (not a sure thing though), which are gentler on the engine & drive train.

If you're serious, have AAA or someone you trust check it out for issues (oil changes?).

Old 02-11-2019, 05:14 PM
Tow Matr
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 2016 XLT 3.5 eco will be 3 years old in May and I have 53k miles on it. Probably close to 20k towing and the rest around town and some highway. No problems and it's still like new. But, I'm with you on the mileage when buying though. It's something to think about, but probably nothing to worry about. And road miles don't really hurt, just see if you can see the service history. Otherwise, I would say go for it. Good luck.

Old 02-11-2019, 06:18 PM
Destroked 450
Cargo Master
Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts
Do they still have the lighter blue STX you where looking at.
As hard as the long bed crews are to find you may want to move on it.
I do like the flow thru console on my STX
That Lariat also doesn't have the tow mirrors.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:26 PM
markag
Mountain Pass
Honestly, the dealer and I were talking about ordering a 19 the way I wanted it. He didn't even tell me the price on this truck until after I brought it back from the extended test drive and I asked him what they were asking on it. He was super low pressure and honest, which I appreciate. He had me drive that truck because of how close of a match it was to my desired configuration. He was bringing me invoice sheets and walking me through his holdback costs, x-plan, etc.

The main thing I didn't like about it was the miles. 55K miles isn't a lot for a new vehicle, but for the price difference compared to a brand new truck, I don't know that I would want to start off wet that many miles. We've only ever bought used vehicles in the past, but they have all been less than 40K miles to start, but about half the cost of a new vehicle. I don't think I would be willing to start off 3 years in the hole on mileage without a much lower price.

The 19 STX that I had poster earlier is still available but it is at a different car dealer near me. I'm really looking hard for a 2018 for the rebates and better financing rates. Even if I could get a 19 fit close to the same price, 0% financing on a 18 would be pretty big savings month to month. If I'm willing to drive a few hundred miles, it's not that hard to still find 2018 super crew 6.5' need trucks with the max tow package. There are still a few of STX models around. Several more XLT's. I'll just have to see what's left a month from now when I have the cash for a down payment.

The only other random thing I was thinking on regarding max tow weights was if a wheel swap could allow me to reach the max tow rating from the towing charts down the road, or if it has to come from the factory with 20 inch weels to satisfy the requirement. The XLT trucks typically don't come with 20" wheels, even with the sport package, so even with max tow they can't reach the max value on the chart. Wasn't sure if swapping out to 20" wheels down the road would allow me use the higher tow rating. It's not like there is s sticker that lists the actual GCWR on a door sticker or anything. Doing the math, if I don't haul much with me, a STX or possibly an XLT without a lot of add-on options has enough payload to meet or exceed the tow ratings on the chart. 2080 lbs payload - 500 lbs for two adults roughly leaves enough payload for 12,000-15,000 lbs of trailer weight. Not that I plan to load it up that much, but it would be nice to know that I could. The 18" wheels could be a limiter in that scenario.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:49 PM
outlw
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If anyone is near Michigan I can put you in touch with someone

Old 02-11-2019, 09:58 PM
markag
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by outlw
If anyone is near Michigan I can put you in touch with someone

​​​​Where at in Michigan? I have family in South Haven, extended family in Saginaw, and my in-laws are in northeast Indiana. Its a long drive from where I live, but we are talking about making a drive to find something if the right truck was available.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:05 AM
outlw
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brighton Mi

Old 02-12-2019, 01:54 PM
TJReams
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
I had one with the middle seat and hated it. I Ordered my 2018 Lariat because no one had the configuration, basically what you are looking for, ecept I wanted the 5.0 this time. they looked and couldn't find one with the 5.0 or the 3.5. I am so happy with it. I get 15-16 in town and whats crazy not a whole lot better on the highway I just drive the speed limit of 75 on most Texas highways I haven't brioke 20 MPG yet! but if i wanted really good mileage I will take the wife's Edge. She gets 27-29 on the highway!

Old 02-14-2019, 12:02 PM
markag
Mountain Pass
I had a chance yesterday to test drive that Blue 2019 STX that I shared previously. I have to say that I think I prefer the standard mirrors over the tow mirrors for everyday driving. I found that the tow mirrors create blind spots at intersections where it is hard to see cross traffic or pedestrian crosswalk areas, especially with a small four way stop. I'm sure I would get used to it, but I think I would rather get a truck without the tow mirrors for every day driving, and then if I ever buy a trailer large enough to take advantage of tow mirrors, install some aftermarket or take-off ones at that time.

Aside from that, the STX is exactly what I'm looking for. I was concerned that the seat height or lower seat position wouldn't be comfortable for me in an STX (since it isn't adjustable). That was not the case at all. The height and angle of the lower seat were just right for me (I'm 6'-1"), so giving up the power adjustable seat won't be a big deal at all. I could care less about the silver trim panels on the dash. The console and Sync 3 and gauge cluster are the same in the STX as XLT. The column shifter is fine with me. I drive a 2008 Mustang GT currently. It's a base model and swapped out the molded plastic steering wheel to the premium leather wrapped steering wheel that I bought off of ebay for $100. It felt like a premium trim car as soon as I did that. I'm sure I could easily do the same thing if I wanted to make the STX interior look a little nicer. The all black doesn't bother me though.

Right now, there is only one 2018 STX within 600 miles of my location (based on my own search, and I also have a dealer looking for me). If it is still around in 3-4 weeks, I will try hard to get that one. Otherwise I'll have to bump up to an XLT. I can still find plenty of those around in the 2018 model year with my configuration. There is no incentive right now to buy a 2019 model. Ford has great incentives on the 2018, and they also have really good financing rates on the 18's that should extend through the end of March. An equal priced 2019 would end up costing me significantly more month-to-month and overall just because of the interest rate alone, not even counting the money that Ford is putting on the hood to sell the 2018 trucks.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:46 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 520 Likes on 399 Posts
Tow mirrors can't be added aftermarket on 2018 plus trucks unless you pay the 2k for genuine ford mirrors due to the relocation of the IAT into the passenger mirror. To get max tow you must order 20inch wheels and 157wb. Without it you will not receive spring upgrades.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:54 PM
JKBrad
Received 807 Likes on 592 Posts
If you don’t like the tow mirrors, it’s easy to swap the smaller ones on.

Quick Reply: F150 shopping - comments & feedback welcome